Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Nov 11, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #19,636 of 33,689
So all this talk about vintage Sony Walkmans made me dig out my old WM-AF54 Walkman (https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sony_radio_cassette_player_sports_walkman_wm_af54.html).

The cool thing about these Walkmans, was they opened like a Pelican case. They were waterproof, and had a removable belt clip. The plastic Sony used is extremely high quality - thick, UV treated, with solid hinges. All of the stress points (clasp, etc) are reinforced with stainless steel. All of the holes and ports are covered by a silicone plug.

Mine stopped working years ago, but I found a purpose for it. The entire cassette 'guts' come out completely in 1 piece, by only removing 2 simple screws. I then lined the inside of the case with adhesive velour. It was so easy - it literally took under 10 minutes from start to finish.

Now I have a 'retro' carry case. The inside is plenty roomy. There was enough room for any IEM and multiple cables. Or any of my IEMs PLUS my xduoop X3. Or any of my DAPs PLUS my FiiO amps (cable included). The case closes completely and securely with all of the combinations.

After 10 years of use and 20 years of sitting in a box, it looks as perfect as the day I bought it in 1989.

Check it out:

Closed:

Inside with velour lining:

Amp and iPod classic with cable (amp underneath):

Amp and iPod touch with cable (amp underneath):

IEM with xduoo X3 (amp underneath):

xduoo X3 with IEM:

IEM by itself:

Now I'm so Hipster, I can ride to Starbucks on my pennyfarthing, pull out my HeadFi from my retro Sony cassette case, and type my novel on my manual typewriter! haha

In all seriousness though, I think it's pretty cool especially to repurpose something that would otherwise have ended up in the landfill!
Yellow? Mellow yellow? And Sony? This ist what I can throw into the mix - from the thrift store.

IMG_7079.jpeg IMG_7080.jpeg

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #19,637 of 33,689
Were you the firestarter on this one? Cool! What makes them so good?

They have great detail and clarity. When put on a scope, they have a bump in the treble but it is a wide enough bump that it doesnt show as a spike or feel fatiguing. I was skeptical when asked to review them and within minutes of pulling them off my burn-in box I was looking at them sideways saying is this the $8 one. I think a bit of burn in helps as the titanium driver.

I took these to my office and the crew there is used to me having some "insanely priced" headphone so I didnt tell them anything about the D4 and invited them to try it. Once they had, I asked them to price it for me. Nobody said less than $50 and several put it in the $100-200 range based on the sound signature.

This is one of the few inexpensive offerings I have heard where sub-bass is neartly linear with the mid-bass and mids. No bass bleed to mention and great control of the lower range. I can see this same driver being great with a low pass filter applied and used for 1kHz down with a couple BAs paired with it for mids and highs. It could be used to make an extremely linear in-ear as it is near linear to about 2k where the climb begins.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #19,638 of 33,689
For those who are interested in the TRN BT20 wireless module, and were put off by the ridiculous launch price gouging, it has deflated to sane and probably acceptable ( for a lot of people) prices in the US$25/- range. Great "filler" item to get through to that next discount coupon threshold. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

HTB1urTpXLfsK1RjSszbq6AqBXXaD.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TRN...lgo_pvid=eed634b7-af7d-4fec-9f9a-6f610e2c8dcd

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TRN...lgo_pvid=eed634b7-af7d-4fec-9f9a-6f610e2c8dcd

For under $22, I'll be the guinea pig on this.

Despite no aptX/AAC, no volume rocker buttons, charging via a microusb cable, and the other stuff people were complaining about, you can't get a decent pair of true wireless earphones for $22 period. Nothing is perfect.

The fact that these will work on over 50% of my IEM collection is worth it for that reason alone.

I'll let you all know how they turn out.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #19,640 of 33,689
They have great detail and clarity. When put on a scope, they have a bump in the treble but it is a wide enough bump that it doesnt show as a spike or feel fatiguing. I was skeptical when asked to review them and within minutes of pulling them off my burn-in box I was looking at them sideways saying is this the $8 one. I think a bit of burn in helps as the titanium driver.

I took these to my office and the crew there is used to me having some "insanely priced" headphone so I didnt tell them anything about the D4 and invited them to try it. Once they had, I asked them to price it for me. Nobody said less than $50 and several put it in the $100-200 range based on the sound signature.

This is one of the few inexpensive offerings I have heard where sub-bass is linear with the mid-bass and mids. No bass bleed to mention and great control of the lower range. I can see this same driver being great with a low pass filter applied and used for 1kHz down with a couple BAs paired with it for mids and highs. It could be used to make an extremely linear in-ear as it is near ruler flat to about 2k where the climb begins.

You are making me feel like a kid on Christmas eve. Mine should be out for delivery tomorrow. I took advantage of the opportunity that someone mentioned a week or two ago about headfiers being able to get the sale price early .

I am getting the purple version of course.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #19,641 of 33,689
So what's so lucky about those bags? I imagine they don't make them to loose money, and why would you pay for no idea what iem?

Of course they will make money but the main thing is that it promotes the store and the new iem..and we get a lower price for taking a chance on them.. If it is like the earbud lucky bag that I got a couple of months ago, it will be very nice and priced higher later... but discounted again during sales. The earbud (a new model) that I paid $19.99 for has a retail price of double that but of course there have been sales and I think it is $23.99 for 11:11 which is still more than I paid.

Only do it if you enjoy the idea of the mystery and being part of the initial excitement when they arrive.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #19,642 of 33,689
You are making me feel like a kid on Christmas eve. Mine should be out for delivery tomorrow. I took advantage of the opportunity that someone mentioned a week or two ago about headfiers being able to get the sale price early .

I am getting the purple version of course.

I'll be shocked if after burn in, you don't think they are one of the best $8 spends you could have made. I continue to be impressed enough to be using them regularly. The only other earphone I orginally bought as a review sample I can say that about is the Campfire Comet. That puts the D4 in pretty good company.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #19,643 of 33,689
I'll be shocked if after burn in, you don't think they are one of the best $8 spends you could have made. I continue to be impressed enough to be using them regularly. The only other earphone I orginally bought as a review sample I can say that about is the Campfire Comet. That puts the D4 in pretty good company.

uh oh.. .maybe my husband should have ordered one for himself... but he has some crazy hi end stuff.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #19,644 of 33,689
I bought the 11.11 Lucky bag special from NiceHCK too on a tip that I would like it. After last lucky bag was the EB2, I have big expectations. Jim has hit the mark pretty solidly on the last few so when he told me I should add one to my order I didnt hesitate.

I have a box of D4s coming for Christmas presents, a NiceHCK EP35 (Onkyo 700 clone) and the lucky bag on the way from NiceHCK. I did do DHL shipping just to make sure I had them in time to put them in stockings.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #19,645 of 33,689
uh oh.. .maybe my husband should have ordered one for himself... but he has some crazy hi end stuff.

I bought 10 and still have my review pair - I might be able to send him one if he threatens to steal yours :wink:

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #19,646 of 33,689
I bought the 11.11 Lucky bag special from NiceHCK too on a tip that I would like it. After last lucky bag was the EB2, I have big expectations. Jim has hit the mark pretty solidly on the last few so when he told me I should add one to my order I didnt hesitate.

I have a box of D4s coming for Christmas presents, a NiceHCK EP35 (Onkyo 700 clone) and the lucky bag on the way from NiceHCK. I did do DHL shipping just to make sure I had them in time to put them in stockings.

In this country we have to avoid the DHL shipping if we can because it usually results in custom fees for us. I don't think you have to worry about that.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #19,647 of 33,689
I'm pretty sure typewriters and other superannuated tech are likely to lead to decreased effectiveness, so their rightful place is the landfill. If it really is ineffective, then it's more interesting as a sociological/psychological study subject than a great idea for adoption to one's everyday life.

But, yeah, yeah, I know it was mostly about the box, and I admit that using it is a good idea.

I'm just joking about that stuff. Those are just photos which can be found all over the Internet.

Millennial Hipsters from cities like San Francisco, Portland, etc are the primary demographic that wear plaid or flannel lumberjack shirts always paired with black skinny jeans (but aren't lumberjacks), have handlebar mustaches right out of the 1800s, smoke old timey Sherlock Holmes pipes while drinking PBR beer, use typewriters at Starbucks, ride pennyfarthings to Apple stores, and are obsessed with the band Mumford and Sons.

hipster1.png
hipster2.jpg
hipster3.jpg

Not that there's anything wrong with that - I'm just poking fun. I'm not stereotyping or have any intentions of ill will towards any group. People are free to do whatever makes them happy in life, dress however they want, etc; it's what makes us all individuals.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #19,648 of 33,689
I bought 10 and still have my review pair - I might be able to send him one if he threatens to steal yours :wink:

haha... he won't . I am more likely to do the stealing.

If he really wants it he can still order one.... the sale has a number of hours left. Of course maybe they have all been purchased with some of you guys buying so many!

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #19,649 of 33,689
Nov 11, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #19,650 of 33,689
In this country we have to avoid the DHL shipping if we can because it usually results in custom fees for us. I don't think you have to worry about that.

Yep, I occassionally get tagged for duties on things but seems to be more likely Fedex than DHL for that. Not sure I have ever been hit with customs duties on e-packet but a couple have been cut open for inspection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back