Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Aug 4, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #10,456 of 33,689
So a YouTuber recently claimed that only 2 of the drivers in the ZS5 are actually functional. Any insight on this?

Aug 4, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #10,458 of 33,689
So a YouTuber recently claimed that only 2 of the drivers in the ZS5 are actually functional. Any insight on this?

Most of what he says is prefaced with "someone who knows more than I do told me." Is that really a personal review if you are spitting out some mystery experts opinion?

Aug 4, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #10,459 of 33,689
Most of what he says is prefaced with "someone who knows more than I do told me." Is that really a personal review if you are spitting out some mystery experts opinion?

Yeah, I was wondering if anyone else had any better analysis. It seems suspect as all **** to me that KZ would put in two drivers that are literally for decoration.

Aug 4, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #10,462 of 33,689
Yeah, I was wondering if anyone else had any better analysis. It seems suspect as all **** to me that KZ would put in two drivers that are literally for decoration.

If you were manufacturing would you add things at a cost of time and $ that were unnecessary, and that will only increase your gross costs and decrease your gross and net profit?

Aug 4, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #10,463 of 33,689
He sounded like a b*****ter to me. If I remember correctly, he said "I know some earphone engineers" or something to that effect. Unless he works in the industry the chances of him knowing more than one are quite low I'd think.

He says he is a poor student. But he certainly has some phones that I don't associate with a poor student.

Aug 4, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #10,464 of 33,689
The ZS5 has a bluetooth option that's exactly as your BiL's preference you've shown here.

I have no idea if the BT receiver quality is good though.

Thanks. That's an option. I do have the ZS5 and they are an an amazing earphone. Actually I have 2, but on one of them the holes for the pins are too large and the cable falls out. I tried the cable from the other pair, and they fall out too. Rather easily too like when I am just wearing them they fall out or even if I place them down somewhere and pick them up they fall out. I have tried to pry apart the two metal pins on the cable which seems to help for a few minutes, but they still fall out. I have tried shoving them in pretty damned hard too. I am sure I have the orientation right as I used a magnifying glass to make sure the "rounded" side on the cable and earphone were matched up. Plus the defective ones sound good, but not as good as the other pair. So I am worried about KZ's QC on the ZS5. Hell, I guess if I wanna get cheap I could just buy the KZ Bluetooth Cable and super glue them on and call it a day. haha.

Anybody else know any Bluetooth option in the $25-$30 range?

Aug 4, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #10,465 of 33,689
If you were manufacturing would you add things at a cost of time and $ that were unnecessary, and that will only increase your gross costs and decrease your gross and net profit?

I mean...

Guys, I don't buy what this reviewer is saying, but I've seen this line of argument repeatedly here and I don't think it holds up. I think they absolutely would spend the extra money so that they can market it as a quad driver IEM. People here go nuts over more drivers.

That being said, if they are going to go through the expense of puting the drivers in anyway, it doesn't really make sense why they wouldn't actually, you know, use them.

Aug 4, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #10,466 of 33,689
I mean...

Guys, I don't buy what this reviewer is saying, but I've seen this line of argument repeatedly here and I don't think it holds up. I think they absolutely would spend the extra money so that they can market it as a quad driver IEM. People here go nuts over more drivers.

That being said, if they are going to go through the expense of puting the drivers in anyway, it doesn't really make sense why they wouldn't actually, you know, use them.
KZ engineers must've thought that connecting those 2 drivers would cost a fortune. So leave it as is & call it a day

Aug 4, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #10,467 of 33,689
i seriously don't get the hype on zs5.

i cannot say 2 drivers useless but there is something funny going on. bass was really wonky. it punches but it does not give sound? i really can't express on English. but I'm thinking maybe one dynamic driver is giving bass and another one is just making vibrations in the iems case.

Aug 4, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #10,468 of 33,689
i seriously don't get the hype on zs5.

i cannot say 2 drivers useless but there is something funny going on. bass was really wonky. it punches but it does not give sound? i really can't express on English. but I'm thinking maybe one dynamic driver is giving bass and another one is just making vibrations in the iems case.
Bass and sub are very strong with ZS5, without distortion as well. You have polarity issue somewhere, 99%. Try plugging one side of the cables reversed, don't try to push them too hard because plastic shape will not match on that side, but the pins will connect nicely and you could take a listen. Than try to find more permanent solutions, as this connection is just a quick at home solution and needs more work to keep that reversed side nicely in place so that the IEM doesn't disconnect on you. If there is one thing about ZS5 that is seriously a strong point it would be the bass, with the right tips for reduced boomyness, while I could easily find faults elsewhere in the frequency range (in fact, some people find bass to be stronger than needed and bass heads don't find it anemic either). For me, original cables were correct, but "upgrade" silver cable had one side reversed and caused polarity issues, among those is weird fr. response across the board.

Aug 4, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #10,470 of 33,689
Bass and sub are very strong with ZS5, without distortion as well. You have polarity issue somewhere, 99%. Try plugging one side of the cables reversed, don't try to push them too hard because plastic shape will not match on that side, but the pins will connect nicely and you could take a listen. Than try to find more permanent solutions, as this connection is just a quick at home solution and needs more work to keep that reversed side nicely in place so that the IEM doesn't disconnect on you. If there is one thing about ZS5 that is seriously a strong point it would be the bass, with the right tips for reduced boomyness, while I could easily find faults elsewhere in the frequency range (in fact, some people find bass to be stronger than needed and bass heads don't find it anemic either). For me, original cables were correct, but "upgrade" silver cable had one side reversed and caused polarity issues, among those is weird fr. response across the board.

i don't own the iem but had one in tour and tried another one that my friend has. i get the polarity point but cannot say something for sure. if i can get my hands on it again i will try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back