Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Apr 19, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #8,431 of 33,689
How does the urbanfun compare to the 4 in 1?

Which one has good mids and good vocals?

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #8,434 of 33,689
He was banned from headfi, asking for samples in exchange of a good review if i recall correctly. I wouldn't thrust that site...

There are also sites which tell stories about Head-fi, showing it to not exactly be the milk and honey land of audio. Mind you, I've never had some bad experiences here, but there are others who have. Igor Eisberg (Audiobudget is his site) also has such stories about this place. It's essentially his word against another's, and I presume the truth's somewhere in between and only the persons involved know for certain.

That said, I find the Audiobudget site pretty darn useful. The reviews are short, concise, to-the-point, and most importantly clear. They are a great starting point, from which you can quickly filter out what you want, and then read up on it in more detail if you wish. And, from what Igor says, he's been buying most of the earphones he reviews from his own pocket. Whereas on the other hand, you can scarcely find a review of Head-fi now which doesn't begin with that famous disclaimer "This review unit has been provided to me for free in exchange for my honest review..."

Even if I don't have reason to doubt the reviewer, I know I couldn't really be "honest", even if I wanted to, when someone's given me for free a piece of equipment which would usually cost 2-3 times my monthly salary. Then again, when you're being handed free stuff all the time you might stop perceiving them as value items and actually start seeing them with more objective eyes, or in this case - start hearing them with more objective ears... so there's that.

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #8,435 of 33,689
How does the urbanfun compare to the 4 in 1?

Which one has good mids and good vocals?

If mids and vocals are your thing, I would go with the 4 in 1. The urbanfun is very nice but a more balanced, less energetic presentation. Some folks complain that the 4 in 1 can get a bit sharp on the highs. I'm not too sensitive to that so YMMV.

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #8,437 of 33,689
Stay away from the AWEI Q5 IEM, the music sounds like a sharp sound whiplash in a music accident. These are going into the garbage, but I may sell some other phones and put these into the mail package for the sucker on the other side.

AWEI made a big mistake making these Q5s, their ear buds are outstanding however.

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #8,439 of 33,689
There are also sites which tell stories about Head-fi, showing it to not exactly be the milk and honey land of audio. Mind you, I've never had some bad experiences here, but there are others who have. Igor Eisberg (Audiobudget is his site) also has such stories about this place. It's essentially his word against another's, and I presume the truth's somewhere in between and only the persons involved know for certain.

That said, I find the Audiobudget site pretty darn useful. The reviews are short, concise, to-the-point, and most importantly clear. They are a great starting point, from which you can quickly filter out what you want, and then read up on it in more detail if you wish. And, from what Igor says, he's been buying most of the earphones he reviews from his own pocket. Whereas on the other hand, you can scarcely find a review of Head-fi now which doesn't begin with that famous disclaimer "This review unit has been provided to me for free in exchange for my honest review..."

Even if I don't have reason to doubt the reviewer, I know I couldn't really be "honest", even if I wanted to, when someone's given me for free a piece of equipment which would usually cost 2-3 times my monthly salary. Then again, when you're being handed free stuff all the time you might stop perceiving them as value items and actually start seeing them with more objective eyes, or in this case - start hearing them with more objective ears... so there's that.

The big difference is that this is a community while the other site is a one man show.

What do you prefer, people letting you know that they got the sample for free or not telling?

I also believe that the fact that you are so sure that anyone that's been given a product for free feels obligated to give it a good review says more about you than a lot of the great reviewers in here.

If you've got a problem with Head-fi there's a very simple solution to that....

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #8,441 of 33,689

I don't know which one I choose 
biggrin.gif

Which is for:
bass ?
stage ?

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #8,443 of 33,689
The big difference is that this is a community while the other site is a one man show.

What do you prefer, people letting you know that they got the sample for free or not telling?

I also believe that the fact that you are so sure that anyone that's been given a product for free feels obligated to give it a good review says more about you than a lot of the great reviewers in here.

If you've got a problem with Head-fi there's a very simple solution to that....

I don't have a problem with Head-fi. Like any other place, there's things I like, there's things that I don't. But so far, I have benefited greatly from this forum, gained some nice friendship (albeit virtual), and have gotten some great recommendations. But whenever someone mentions Audiobudget, a few people pop up to warn the user as if AB was some sort of Boogeyman. I was just pointing out that there are two sides to the story, and that there are also some dishonorable tales about Head-fi members floating out there...

Point being, I'm not dismissing AB's opinion just because he was once banned from this place.

As for reviewers' honesty, you misunderstood me; it's not that I doubt them, I'm simply coming from a perspective of someone who's not used to the idea people get such expensive stuff for free, that's all. At least not such expensive gear. I admit it'd be hard for me to objectively review stuff that valuable, not because I'd want to be dishonest, but simply because I'd be too overwhelmed to have several hundred or thousand $$$ worth of audio gear on my hands. I'm sure many can relate.

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #8,444 of 33,689

I don't have a problem with Head-fi. Like any other place, there's things I like, there's things that I don't. But so far, I have benefited greatly from this forum, gained some nice friendship (albeit virtual), and have gotten some great recommendations. But whenever someone mentions Audiobudget, a few people pop up to warn the user as if AB was some sort of Boogeyman. I was just pointing out that there are two sides to the story, and that there are also some dishonorable tales about Head-fi members floating out there...

Point being, I'm not dismissing AB's opinion just because he was once banned from this place.

As for reviewers' honesty, you misunderstood me; it's not that I doubt them, I'm simply coming from a perspective of someone who's not used to the idea people get such expensive stuff for free, that's all. At least not such expensive gear. I admit it'd be hard for me to objectively review stuff that valuable, not because I'd want to be dishonest, but simply because I'd be too overwhelmed to have several hundred or thousand $$$ worth of audio gear on my hands. I'm sure many can relate.

I think people forget that while some products reviewed are provided to the reviewer free of charge, there is still a lot of time and effort being put into writing that review. Time isn't free. That reviewer could be doing any number of other things, but instead they've dedicated that time to reviewing an earphone instead.

Speaking for myself only, if I were getting paid even 10 bucks an hour to write a review I'd be able to pay for most of the free stuff I cover multiple times over. What I'm saying is it's free, but it's not, if you get what I mean. *shrug*

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #8,445 of 33,689
Pod, gove Lurk a nod, when he is done with the SWIII have him send them to you. I will tell him on the Bump thread.

That is IF you want to hear them.

:grinning::grinning: TWIN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back