Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jun 12, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #9,466 of 33,689
cool.

I just want to know if TFZ IEMs sounds like normal iem or does it sound 'cheap'

TFZ Original Series 5 is still one of my all time favorite chi-fi IEMs. There's nothing 'cheap' about the sound. IMHO it's everything the IE80 should have been. It takes that warm sound sig with rich bass, gets rid of a lot of the midbass hump, and takes the veil off the mids and highs. If you're into treble, then the King is your IEM, but if you like bass, the Series 5 is excellent.

Jun 12, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #9,467 of 33,689
Initial 2 hour impressions of KZ ZS5 using the stock cable and starline tips on my LG v20.....

Nice presentation in the box, but as soon as you lift them out you realize how light they are...almost too light. The shells must be ultra thin. The metallic color juxtaposed with the rubbery cable and the lightness make them feel...cheap. But how do they sound you ask? Let's take a look!
  • Clear highs. Bright sound when used on a bright source. The high-hat on Depeche Mode's Policy of Truth was a little piercing for my tastes. Not sibilant, just very bright.
  • Mid forward. Vocals shine. Both female and male vocals are brought way forward in the mix.
  • Decent bass extension, good bass presence. Not a basshead's IEM, but I don't think anyone would be disappointed. No perceptible midbass hump.
  • Soundstage is nice and wide with good height as well. I know there's an on-going discussion about the "3D" sound some have reported. I don't perceive anything out of the ordinary here. They just sound like IEMs with a really good soundstage. Approaching the soundstage of some mid-range circumaurals.
  • Instrument separation is again above average and hitting well above what any $30 headphone has a right to produce.

Overall: Easily worth the $30. Yet another chi-fi headphone with embarrassingly good sound. My only concern is with the build quality. They feel cheap and I doubt they would sustain much abuse. I think some people may be put off by the mid-forward sound, but it's not a cheap or disturbing sound. Just a different sort of tuning than the usual. Looking forward to trying them with a less bright combo like my Fulla 1/E12.

One last note, these require me going up to 45-50 on the volume of my LG v20 with normal Hi-Fi mode. I suspect they might react well to a little more juice being thrown at them.

I'll give more details after a couple of weeks with them.

I'll use super glue to strengthen the shell as soon as i get mine. Don't want to know how many drivers actually work inside it.

Jun 12, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #9,469 of 33,689
Hi everyone, I an looking for an upgrade to my tennmak crazy cello (because it is dying on me soon, the wire at the audio jack seems loose so occasionally there is little sound on the right side.) I love the sound signature of the crazy cellos. Fairly neutral with the frequency curve leaning towards the bass. But I felt detail retrieval and trebles could be better but at that price range there was nothing to complain. Went to a local audio store and tried the FLC8 (details were really good but there was a lack of bass to my preference) I tried the TFZ Balance 2 (the mids were beautiful but overpowering the other frequencies) I am considering KZ ZS5 and TFZ exclusive king but heard it has a bright signature so definitely a no go. Should I wait for the KZ ZSR Pro? I will also wait for the reviews on the TFZ Exclusive 5. Any more recommendations?

Jun 12, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #9,470 of 33,689
Hi everyone, I an looking for an upgrade to my tennmak crazy cello (because it is dying on me soon, the wire at the audio jack seems loose so occasionally there is little sound on the right side.) I love the sound signature of the crazy cellos. Fairly neutral with the frequency curve leaning towards the bass. But I felt detail retrieval and trebles could be better but at that price range there was nothing to complain. Went to a local audio store and tried the FLC8 (details were really good but there was a lack of bass to my preference) I tried the TFZ Balance 2 (the mids were beautiful but overpowering the other frequencies) I am considering KZ ZS5 and TFZ exclusive king but heard it has a bright signature so definitely a no go. Should I wait for the KZ ZSR Pro? I will also wait for the reviews on the TFZ Exclusive 5. Any more recommendations?

Have you considered the Magaosi MGS-BK50?
They're on AliExpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...04&SearchText=bk50+earphone&blanktest=0&tc=af

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #9,473 of 33,689
Have you considered the Magaosi MGS-BK50?
They're on AliExpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...04&SearchText=bk50+earphone&blanktest=0&tc=af

What are their sound signatures like? Only manage to see very few impressions on headfi. Heard it has a tight bass which is what I am looking for. Thanks for suggesting will consider this. Is this sound signature similar to the Magaosi K3 because my friend have the K3 so perhaps I could compare your impressions with the K3

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #9,474 of 33,689
Hello! Long time lurker of Head-Fi but this will be my first post. (Technically second since I am just reposting this from the Sub-100 Chinese thread.) So, my dog ate my 4-year old VSonic GR07 Classic and I am currently looking for a replacement for sub-$50. I tried backreading through all these threads, including the Chinese/Asian one, but got confused with all the various earphones being tested (and is hard to backread through 2000+ pages). I really loved GR07's sound signature of being balanced/neutral to v-shaped. Other iems I've had are the Xiaomi Pistons (seems a bit bass heavy), VSonics VSD1S, VSD3S, VSD5S (also loved this, albeit poor cable quality), Soundmagic E10, ES18, SHE3580. I also have an ATH-M50x and NAD Viso HP50, both of which I love sound-wise. With these preferences, can you help out on picking a Chi-Fi for 50$ or less, preferably with a better cable quality than the VSonics. Would be better if you could give around three recommendations since shipping to our country is not that easy. Thanking in advance for your recommendations.

TL;DR Looking for a sub-$50 Chi-Fi with similar sound signature to VSonic GR07.

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #9,475 of 33,689
Hello guys.
I need some recommendations.

I'm looking for a sub $30 'heavy bass' earphone. It should have enhanced subbass, hopefully with rumble and warm forward clear vocals and mids if possible. I'm okay with bass overpowering rest of the frequencies just that the vocals should be audible in bassy parts, with reference to modern music.

I don't have a single earphone that I can consider bassy so was thinking of getting one. (Who knows, I may just be a closet basshead :D)

Right now looking at KZ zs3 and Xiaomi Hybrids 1st gen.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #9,476 of 33,689
Hello guys.
I need some recommendations.

I'm looking for a sub $30 'heavy bass' earphone. It should have enhanced subbass, hopefully with rumble and warm forward clear vocals and mids if possible. I'm okay with bass overpowering rest of the frequencies just that the vocals should be audible in bassy parts, with reference to modern music.

I don't have a single earphone that I can consider bassy so was thinking of getting one. (Who knows, I may just be a closet basshead :D)

Right now looking at KZ zs3 and Xiaomi Hybrids 1st gen.

The KZ and Hybrids are bassy but much better options are the Boarseman KR49i or QKZ DM300 - the Boarseman being my favourite of the two. There are reviews of both on my site (link in signature)

Jun 13, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #9,477 of 33,689
My pocket rig for the day: Benjie X1 + Whizzer A15. Sweet!

20170613_145753.jpg

Jun 13, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #9,478 of 33,689
What are their sound signatures like? Only manage to see very few impressions on headfi. Heard it has a tight bass which is what I am looking for. Thanks for suggesting will consider this. Is this sound signature similar to the Magaosi K3 because my friend have the K3 so perhaps I could compare your impressions with the K3

I have not heard the K3, but I actually prefer the Bass, and overall sound, of the BK50 - more than the higher priced Crazy Cello. Note that the BK50 has a Mic / Phone Controls.
Another really good, and balanced sounding earphone, is the BossHiFi B3 (the one with the Brown cable, and no Mic). Check @Vidal reviews, linked in his Signature & Profile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back