Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 27, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #679 of 33,689
  My XE800 arrived today. The fit is very good and this iem is very comfortable to wear. After initial listening and A/B against other IEMs and full size headphone, i am left underwhelmed. Technically, this IEM offers better clarity than the cheaper KZ IEMs, but there is something artificial in the tonality. Vocal is not natural sounding and is worse than some of the cheaper iems.

Compared to full sized can like XPT100, which is a clone of Fischer FA-003, sound is inferior in almost every department, most noticeably in sound separation and tonality.

I didn't like the XE800 for the first two weeks I owned it.  Had to find the right tips to get the bass I wanted.  I still use EQ to raise the bass level.  They're not my preferred sound signature, but are very good neutral earphones.  You're basically talking about the GR07 when you talk about the XE800, FWIW.  A $20 GR07. 

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #680 of 33,689
The 4 in 1 needs EQ to shine. Once you cut near 150-500hz, boost mids a little, and then cut some treble, it really sounds way, way more expensive than what it goes for. Without EQ, it has bloat, recession, and some harshness. I wouldn't really be into it stock, but EQ'ed i've been using it daily.

Try it.

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #681 of 33,689
  Just got the 4in1 today.

OOTB, harsh treble, but very good detail. Picked up details that I haven't heard of before in some of my FLAC files. Sub-bass is very light. More than adequate mid-bass. I can see how the treble would make this fatiguing.

Sound signature is definitely V-shaped. Mids being recessed is the best way of describing these IEMs. Stock Narrow-bore was harsher than the stock wide-bore tip. Using Comply Comfort Foams in the regular direction brought the harshness down slightly, but not noticeably. Wearing them in the reverse direction retained the harshness of the stock silicone tips. Bass was not noticeably stronger with the foam tips.

Listened to MJ - Billie Jean. Really wanted to try something with treble emphasis to test the perception of harsh treble. Currently using with Encore mDAC.

It's made me understand better the type of IEM I want in sound signature and clarity.

Sound signature: Lots of sub-bass, lots of mid-bass, mids forward, average treble. Bass needs to be quick and accurate rather than an enormous amount of loose bass.

Clarity: Clear enough to pick up micro-details.

Any suggestions?

Dumb question: 4in1: Left is Blue and Right is Red?

YES. 
smile.gif

Mine came in just the earphone case, with tips and silver cable inside.

I've seen posts showing a full **** box, so that leads me to wonder if there are fake 4in1's out there.

Unless the sellers are just unboxing, throwing everything into the earphone case and shipping that out.

Quote:

That happens. Keeps shipping costs down for those long trips.

+1  ....I would also suggest for those wanting the whole package, make sure you communicate with the seller to know what you're getting for the price.

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #683 of 33,689
Just got my Hifiman RE-00 out of the box.  Initial impressions is it's a vocals-based IEM followed by a reasonable level of bass that's certainly present, and ahead of the RE-0 & ZERO from memory, but will actually compare the three later when I get a chance.  It's by no means basshead levels of bass, but it's more than I was expecting.  Treble seems reasonable enough, but I'm not sensitive to treble and not a treble-head in the slightest.  Only two pairs of included tips, so didn't get a pair of my favorite hifiman tips, and packaging is about as basic as it gets.  It uses the same jack connector style as the Hifiman Edition S.  Design-wise, the housing's edge is textured for grip or looks, but can rub against the ear while using the small included tips causing discomfort.

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #684 of 33,689
The 4 in 1 needs EQ to shine. Once you cut near 150-500hz, boost mids a little, and then cut some treble, it really sounds way, way more expensive than what it goes for. Without EQ, it has bloat, recession, and some harshness. I wouldn't really be into it stock, but EQ'ed i've been using it daily.

Try it.

Any suggestions for 7 EQ points?

Sep 27, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #686 of 33,689
I use the 4 in 1 with sources ranging from benjie s5 to ak380. It is really bad. Suggest all not to get it unless you can EQ. Just another hype train.

Sep 27, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #687 of 33,689
I use the 4 in 1 with sources ranging from benjie s5 to ak380. It is really bad. Suggest all not to get it unless you can EQ. Just another hype train.

Thanks, that´s good to know. And I´m fully content with my KZ ATE + ATE S anyway, so....  

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #690 of 33,689
I haven't used that many IEMs, but I have picked up the most details using the 4in1 than any other IEMs that I have owned. Only the SE535 and SE846 that I've demoed have given me more clarity and details. I wouldn't call the 4in1 analytical by any means.

IEMs that I've owned:
Klipsch S4i
JBL S200i
JLab Epic
**** 4in1

IEMs that I will be receiving soon:
LZ-A2S
Havi B3 Pro 1
Fischer Audio DBA-02 MkII

Maybe the Tennmak Pro might fit my sound signature requirements, but I'm willing to listen to more opinions about the Pro and its sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back