Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Oct 4, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #27,167 of 33,689
Oct 4, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #27,168 of 33,689
They also tend to be better built. And better fitting. Even though I'm not entirely convinced of the merits of spending too much on a cable I upgrade cables on virtually every IEM I buy. Also, if somebody recommends a cable as being so good as to totally change their life, I have the means and interest to give it a whirl even if it comes to naught. If I spent £30 on a cable at some point I would spend £300 on an IEM to put it on...

Oct 4, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #27,169 of 33,689
Wireless is the way to go!! :man_dancing:

Oct 4, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #27,170 of 33,689
Wireless is the way to go!! :man_dancing:
I like wires. You know where you are with wires. Beautiful, tangly, corroding wires. A tangled mess behind a hifi unit. A computer that would take a thief a week to unplug. A pile of IEMs irreparably tangled together in one immense glob of copper and rubber. Wires are honest. Wires are good.

Oct 4, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #27,171 of 33,689
Sooo... I want to come to my point... cables... based on factors I mentioned above.... IMO... could sound different...

(And frankly... I sometimes worry if cable that is sold too cheap, would the manufacturer made correctly or not... terminated correctly or not... )
So with this in mind, and your experience, what would be your cable rec? (Not that I believe it makes any difference, obviously :wink:[/QUOTE]

I don't know.... :)
I never bought third party cables.... :) maybe later if the one coming with the unit broken or unusable...

Oct 4, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #27,172 of 33,689
The Marshall Mode EQ has a cable that gives two different sounds depending whether a bass switch is on or off, not sure what kind of passive circuitry is used there but it works nicely.

Not sure why the chinese (or anybody else for that matter) haven't come up with such after-market cables so far or are there any???

Oct 4, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #27,173 of 33,689
regarding cable, I want to chime in a bit..

I used to run a small, home made, RCA interconnect business about 18 years ago or so... for quite short period; only about a year and sold about 20 pairs. Until I run out of time due to my office work. It was started with my DIY effort to get cheap quality products. I experimented with few types of cables... RF cable, Cat5 UTP cables, magnet wire cable, Belden 89259, etc... and used Belden 89259 for my cable business. (Note: if I'm not wrong, this is the same cable used by Blue Jeans cable)

Cable material do have effect in sound... but there's really no magic here, they are all could be explained in physics...
For example cable that is used for very high frequency (2.4GHz for example) transmission sometimes made with aluminum as the core and the copper only on the most outside surface (if you ever heard about skin effect... they really do put this into consideration for economical reason... since having all copper material would be useless for such a high frequency transmission). Now if we compare this cable with all copper cable of the same AWG size, for audio band (20Hz-20KHz)... You will easily hear the difference... :)

Cable core diameter and material makes difference... for example for speaker cable... if you compared 10AWG of single core cable vs 10AWG of multi strand core.... you could hear that single core big diameter cable would sound dull. Once again, law of physics could explain it...

Different cable material of quite close characteristic say 26AWG stand, OFC, non-OFC, pure copper or silver plated copper... would not be much different (if placebo really makes us believe we can hear the difference).

BUT... There is also another thing could really make them sound different.... that is how they are terminated....
If let's say you have two cables, with the same termination end connector, one with good solder joint and with non-perfect solder joint (for example cold joint).. you could hear the difference... I don't need to explain why; this could be searched on the net... :)

Talking about termination, different connector material and size could make the difference... but these are all actually related with how perfect the termination could be done. For example in my case... I tried cheap RCA connector which has thick metal... It was sooo difficult to get a good solder joint with it... why? because the thickness of the material absorb and spread the heat very easily... so, the result is non-prefect joint... and bad sounding... It is not as good as the same cable terminated with Neutrik Profi RCA, which is very well thought construction with thin soldering point and thus easy to make perfect solder joint. Then I tried compare Neutrik Profi with more esoteric connecter, Eichmann Bullet Plug RCA.... Perfectly terminated, both, ...no difference...

Sooo... I want to come to my point... cables... based on factors I mentioned above.... IMO... could sound different...

(And frankly... I sometimes worry if cable that is sold too cheap, would the manufacturer made correctly or not... terminated correctly or not... )

I do agree and all that is purely on the side and influences of the cable. Then you have got to look at the side of the person. Miriads of human differences...ears, brain, training, beliefs etc, etc.

Oct 4, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #27,174 of 33,689
I like wires. You know where you are with wires. Beautiful, tangly, corroding wires. A tangled mess behind a hifi unit. A computer that would take a thief a week to unplug. A pile of IEMs irreparably tangled together in one immense glob of copper and rubber. Wires are honest. Wires are good.

Beautiful answer. √√√√√√.

Oct 4, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #27,175 of 33,689
I'm not so sure this is a discussion about cables as much as it is about belief and how we interpret and hear and what influences that. Cables just happened to be part of it.
I actually think it's far more interesting (and amusing) than some of the repetitive affirmations about certain IEMs. No offence meant to anyone here, btw. It's just nice to dice it up a little, non?

I agree in a way but when someone starts to call things facts because they once made some cables it's very tempting to question that as it's a very disputable statement and then threads get closed :wink:

Oct 4, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #27,176 of 33,689
There is at least one unquestionable plus of the aftermarket's cables: they are thicker and therefore tangling less.
And shinier. My precioussss...

Doesn't that depend on how the stock cable is made?

Also some aftermarket cables are too thick to be used out and about imo, they're just too heavy and lack flexibility.

Oct 4, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #27,178 of 33,689
Recabled my bl03 and burned them in for a day. Wayyyyy better. These are a treat.

As the box says, NEVERGIVEUP.

And as the manual further states, "the earphones are not like vases".

I actually am enjoying them without EQ/MSEB at the moment. I'll start tinkering with them more next week.

Oct 4, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #27,179 of 33,689
Recabled my bl03 and burned them in for a day. Wayyyyy better. These are a treat.

As the box says, NEVERGIVEUP.

And as the manual further states, "the earphones are not like vases".

I actually am enjoying them without EQ/MSEB at the moment. I'll start tinkering with them more next week.

Really pleased you've got goodun. Be interesting to hear your feedback after some more burn in.

Oct 4, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #27,180 of 33,689

3ABFC4E2-B699-45C9-8232-B04DEAEA9CCC.jpeg
538BEADC-C0BE-47E1-B453-5A8842F54BFA.jpeg
1C9D55E7-250D-413F-9199-B4B9FE23E83D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back