Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 27, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #26,821 of 33,689
Anyone ever notice that several recently popular iems (ZS10pro, VE bonus, could be others) have very similar signatures to the shure SE215.:joy:

SE215 is quite dark sounding though, and the soundstage is rather congested. The cheap ones in comparison have better treble and soundstage IMO.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #26,822 of 33,689
You seem very knowledgeable about the affordable, kinda-bassy IEMs. I'm trying to figure out what the next step is for me. I like the V80, not just "for the price," but for its excellent imaging and detail. It's got fun bass and detailed highs. On the downside, it's timbre is artificial, its tuning is stressful, and it isn't so detailed in the lower registers. The V90 seems like a very sensible upgrade, and I will buy it at the next opportunity.

The V80 is a great transit IEM, because it is so sparkly and energetic that it overpowers transit noise without being loud. But it can't do everything. The ZS7 often has a more harmonious synergy between bass and treble, and plays indie rock with greater humanity. The CNT-1 is smoother. The King Pro has a superior soundstage, and eye-watering imaging, instrument separation, and detail retrieval.

So beyond the price bracket of the V80/V90, is there something that offers the same strengths (sugary, sparkly treble, very fun bass, easy fit, warm mids, and excellent detail), none of the weaknesses (overly-synthetic tuning, questionable detail retrieval with mids, which are recessed), and some extra advantages (wide soundstage, can keep up with fast music and many instruments)?

Right now, I think the only thing that can beat my V80 in commuting is a V90. But what is the $200+ V80? With the imaging and instrument separation of a $200+ IEM? I bought the King Pro as a 'better V80,' and it is better in many respects, but makes my ears ring.

Also, the TFZ no. 3 appeals to me for commuting, because it is somewhat-isolated, bassy, and easy-to-drive, which will help to gently overpower transit noise. But I already have a CNT-1, which is comparable to the iBasso IT01, and I honestly think that its level of detail and instrument separation is not satisfying for a $32 IEM, never mind $90. I mean, the V80 beats it sometimes.

Im not on bassy iem actually, I prefer balanced signature with a little touch of bass. I dont have CNT1, but I have BLON BL03 on comparison. They are very great, but wont enough to satisfy bass lover. TFZ no 3 will do better job for you, if you dont mind average soundstage. otherwise the v90 seems like logical upgrade from v80, almost better in every aspect, but more balance than v80, i dont know if this thing means a good thing or bad thing to you, but for sure the sub bass still very deep with nice texture, and still dont break your wallet.
As for higher tier iems, usually they are more tuned to balanced overall. You can check T800 at $300 which have great resolution and deep big bass even though from BAs, but be warn trbles side could be towards bright. Or Sony N3. Please read more reviews since my preferences are towards balanced with slight touch of bass, not particularly basshead. Hopefully this helps. Cheers

Sep 27, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #26,823 of 33,689
Thanks, DynamicEars. Just for clarification, I don't mean to say that I'm investigating bass-head IEMs. I just enjoy a touch of bass, the kind of balance that you prefer. I shy away from overly-treble IEMs that neglect bass, but I am not looking to emphasize it.

From your list of IEMs, it seems as if you are seeking a similar profile. I have the V80 and ED9, my ZS-10 Pro just arrived, and I have a BL-03, MH755 and C10 on the way. I've been seriously looking at the no. 3 and the IT01. I kept neglecting the IT01 because other deals came up first (the CNT-1 and then the BL-03), but both the IT01 and the no. 3 sound like they fit my preferences. I think the IT-01 is said to have more detail in a number of respects as compared to the CNT-1. I like detail, although if the IT-01 is roughly comparable to the CNT-1, it may not be enough. And it's hard to find good soundstage under $150.

Once I get the V90 and maybe the C12, I'll probably just save up for the T800.

Sep 27, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #26,824 of 33,689
Thanks, DynamicEars. Just for clarification, I don't mean to say that I'm investigating bass-head IEMs. I just enjoy a touch of bass, the kind of balance that you prefer. I shy away from overly-treble IEMs that neglect bass, but I am not looking to emphasize it.

From your list of IEMs, it seems as if you are seeking a similar profile. I have the V80 and ED9, my ZS-10 Pro just arrived, and I have a BL-03, MH755 and C10 on the way. I've been seriously looking at the no. 3 and the IT01. I kept neglecting the IT01 because other deals came up first (the CNT-1 and then the BL-03), but both the IT01 and the no. 3 sound like they fit my preferences. I think the IT-01 is said to have more detail in a number of respects as compared to the CNT-1. I like detail, although if the IT-01 is roughly comparable to the CNT-1, it may not be enough. And it's hard to find good soundstage under $150.

It seems we like a similar FR profile. A touch of bass, with good quality and high resolution mids and treble. I only second the recommendation of T800 or N3. T800 sounds a bit more detailed in treble, but N3 has maybe a higher quality bass plus that amazing fit that allows me to wear them for hours. I am sensitive to sibilance - T800 has none on a decent source. On a phone or lofi DAP it can be painful.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #26,825 of 33,689

Actually if u just want a touch of bass, I wouldn't recommend the TFZ No. 3. IMHO it is just one level short of basshead levels and if you are coming from a neutralish preferred tuning, it may sound like the bass may encroach on other frequencies (I'm a basshead so I don't mind it). There's also a mild mid bass bleed on the TFZ NO. 3, which some consumers won't like, though I like it for making the lower mids a bit warmer. The TFZ No. 3 soundstage is also not the widest, slightly above average in fact. I find details and instrument separation are comparable with the SKC CNT1 actually. These single DD IEMs won't have as good details/instrument separation as the hybrid/multi BAs coming out recently from CCA/KZ/TRN.

You seem very knowledgeable about the affordable, kinda-bassy IEMs. I'm trying to figure out what the next step is for me. I like the V80, not just "for the price," but for its excellent imaging and detail. It's got fun bass and detailed highs. On the downside, it's timbre is artificial, its tuning is stressful, and it isn't so detailed in the lower registers. The V90 seems like a very sensible upgrade, and I will buy it at the next opportunity.

The V80 is a great transit IEM, because it is so sparkly and energetic that it overpowers transit noise without being loud. But it can't do everything. The ZS7 often has a more harmonious synergy between bass and treble, and plays indie rock with greater humanity. The CNT-1 is smoother. The King Pro has a superior soundstage, and eye-watering imaging, instrument separation, and detail retrieval.

So beyond the price bracket of the V80/V90, is there something that offers the same strengths (sugary, sparkly treble, very fun bass, easy fit, warm mids, and excellent detail), none of the weaknesses (overly-synthetic tuning, questionable detail retrieval with mids, which are recessed), and some extra advantages (wide soundstage, can keep up with fast music and many instruments)?

Right now, I think the only thing that can beat my V80 in commuting is a V90. But what is the $200+ V80? With the imaging and instrument separation of a $200+ IEM? I bought the King Pro as a 'better V80,' and it is better in many respects, but makes my ears ring.

Also, the TFZ no. 3 appeals to me for commuting, because it is somewhat-isolated, bassy, and easy-to-drive, which will help to gently overpower transit noise. But I already have a CNT-1, which is comparable to the iBasso IT01, and I honestly think that its level of detail and instrument separation is not satisfying for a $32 IEM, never mind $90. I mean, the V80 beats it sometimes.

If u want something that has sparkly treble, fun bass, excellent details, not overly synthetic tuning, wide soundstage, then I would suggest the Audiosense T800. But it is $298 USD, no longer in the realm of budget sub 50 bucks CHIFI stuff. Just that if u are treble sensitive, it is not the best option unless u wanna play with knowles filters, eartip, cable change etc.

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #26,826 of 33,689
So, I decided to get a second pair of BLON BL03 in "gun metal" instead of the CNT1, which I can live without. They are just blowing me away as an IEM with a single DD driver per side! I haven't heard a single DD unit that can compare to the BL03 for such a rediculously low price!...It is insane!

In my personal experience, this has been an interesting month for me:

BLON BL03: Outstanding dynamic drivers that has no business in such a low price range!

CCA C12: Somebody got it right at this company! Incredible sonic-like sound signature with great balance and details!

LZ A6mini: The true essence of what micro-details suppose to truly sound like!

Magaosi DQ4: Finely, a tuning switch that really makes sense!

-Clear

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #26,827 of 33,689
Anyone ever notice that several recently popular iems (ZS10pro, VE bonus, could be others) have very similar signatures to the shure SE215.:joy:

No I haven't, I've got the VE Bonus and SE215 and they sound vastly different to my ears. The Bonus is clearly superior for my preferences.

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #26,828 of 33,689

Agree with you on CNT-1. Disappointing to me. But IT01 is on a much higher level...far better and rounded soundstage and dynamics overall.

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #26,829 of 33,689
ShakeThoseCans, Agree with you on CNT-1. Disappointing to me. But IT01 is on a much higher level...far better and rounded soundstage and dynamics overall.
That's sad news to hear for those of us who jumped on the hype train.

I haven't used the CNT1 much but I do know it beats every KZ I own. So, in that aspect it'll never be disappointing to me.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #26,830 of 33,689
That's sad to hear for those of us who jumped on the hype train. I haven't used the CNT1 much but I do know it beats every KZ I own.

No need to be sad. There are many of us who do like the CNT1. Not everyone has to be the same. I know that you know this. It was not really a hype train. Just a heads up on a really good close out price for these. I am happy to have them.

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #26,831 of 33,689
That's sad to hear for those of us who jumped on the hype train. I haven't used the CNT1 much but I do know it beats every KZ I own.
Well it's not sad if you like it. I just feel have better IEMs for my own tastes. Glad I never jumped on any KZ train then - I've never had any!!

Sep 27, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #26,833 of 33,689
Well it's not sad if you like it. I just feel have better IEMs for my own tastes. Glad I never jumped on any KZ train then - I've never had any!!

Everyone should have a KZ ED9 :)

Sep 27, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #26,834 of 33,689
No need to be sad. There are many of us who do like the CNT1. Not everyone has to be the same. I know that you know this. It was not really a hype train. Just a heads up on a really good close out price for these. I am happy to have them.
Exactly. Mine seem stiff and over bassy - possibly need burning in...but I just don't think I'll ever get to do it.

Sep 27, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #26,835 of 33,689
Exactly. Mine seem stiff and over bassy - possibly need burning in...but I just don't think I'll ever get to do it.

Just set your DX80 (plugged in to a charger or power bank) to all songs. Plug in the CNT1 and set a reasonable volume level. Let it play for a few days... checking now and again and maybe give it a short rest for a little while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back