Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Nov 10, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #19,576 of 33,689
Needs some work. The best part of this design would be some surface area so you can have more than one button. One button and volume control is absent is not ideal when you have the surface area to do it. If BT 5.0 is more efficient I would also hope for more battery life from this design. We are getting 5 and 6 from TW with just the buds so surely this design could get closer to 10 hours than to 5 hours. Of course what about charging?? Does it come with a cable to charge both at the same time or you'd need two cables. I'd suppose it should come with a short cable that splits into 2 micro USB on one end to plug both into one USB port. And yes it is clunky to have to open the little flaps on both. Probably need to go back to the drawing board and design a more TW snap in design.

This would make a good case for them though that could charge both at the same time...https://www.amazon.com/Back-BayTM-D...qid=1541855914&sr=8-4&keywords=Back+Bay+Audio

Still will applaud the effort but hope to see the evolution of it.

On stuff like that, I usually tear off the rubber charge port cover because they’re a total headache to deal with. It’s on the bottom, so even if you get caught in a light rainstorm it’s not going to flood the port.

Nov 10, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #19,577 of 33,689
careful now, this is TRN, we're only allowed to bash KZ here

Oh, I’m not bashing TRN. I’m bashing the people that think the driver wars are the only thing that should drive their decision.

The other thing to keep in mind is the size. A lot of people think the AS10 and ZSR are big. 6 or 7 drivers per side, plus crossover (and possibly tubing) takes up a lot of room.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #19,578 of 33,689
But more drivers are better, right? I mean, who cares about soldering it right or tuning it as long as it has the most drivers possible!
While acknowledging and supporting your subtle sarcasm, I would like to add that it takes lots of experience to get multiple drivers working in perfect harmony. I have posted the issue with non-matching frequency responses in four earpieces of the highly lauded Brainwavz B400. Also, the multidrivers are usually big and may be uncomfortable for many in the long run ["KZ BS10"...now you know what the "BS" stands for].

And I still find a well-balanced single DD more appealing to my ears than a technically more competent but fatiguing multi-BA.

In my collection, the most "eartime" does not go to multi-BAs at all. It rather goes to the Focal Sphear, a technically not particularly advanced but reasonably well-respected single DD-earphone that sounds very pleasing to my ears. This is followed, as an exception, by the frequently belittled UE900S, a well-tuned 4BA per side that is also uncommonly small and ergonomic - even good in bed. Third comes the iBasso IT01, another single DD with a somewhat overwhelming bass that cuts into clarity (I haven't included the B400 as I am still experimenting with them - next measurement session on Monday on pair 3).

Go figure why...

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #19,579 of 33,689
I have the same sentiments about the TRN v80 that you do, good right up to the lower treble where it breaks down in a huge way. I really do not like the grainy, over aggressive nature of the v80. On the BQEYZ I have found all of their models to exhibit better control over the treble than the TRN. The K2 and K2c are near neutral while the KB1 and BQ3 are more V shaped. The BQ3 has a forward bass, mildly recessed lower mids that build back up and plateau with the lower treble being roughly equal to the bass boost. True treble drops back to avoid harshness with a bit of a bump at 6kHz and 12kHz to add some sparkle and air back in without sibilance or stridency. In the overall, I think if you like the basic sound of the TRN v80 but hate the poor rendering of the treble, the BQ3 will probably be very much to your liking.
Hope that helps.

@ Wiljen, between BQ3 and K2C, which one is more adequate for outdoor use ? can you compare them regarding isolation, comfort? Also, which one you prefer soundwise?
Wll be using for prog rock, rock, R&B, Pop, Hip Hop
thanks in advance

Nov 10, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #19,580 of 33,689
But more drivers are better, right? I mean, who cares about soldering it right or tuning it as long as it has the most drivers possible!

...and I love my little metal single BA Moondrop Nocturne... probably discontinued...because... like you said... everyone wants 86 BAs per side. You would be surprised what one BA can do.

HTB1E30rKFXXXXamXVXXq6xXFXXXi.jpg

Nov 10, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #19,581 of 33,689
While acknowledging and supporting your subtle sarcasm, I would like to add that it takes lots of experience to get multiple drivers working in perfect harmony. I have posted the issue with non-matching frequency responses in four earpieces of the highly lauded Brainwavz B400. Also, the multidrivers are usually big and may be uncomfortable for many in the long run ["KZ BS10"...now you know what the "BS" stands for].

And I still find a well-balanced single DD more appealing to my ears than a technically more competent but fatiguing multi-BA.

In my collection, the most "eartime" does not go to multi-BAs at all. It rather goes to the Focal Sphear, a technically not particularly advanced but reasonably well-respected single DD-earphone that sounds very pleasing to my ears. This is followed, as an exception, by the frequently belittled UE900S, a well-tuned 4BA per side that is also uncommonly small and ergonomic - even good in bed. Third comes the iBasso IT01, another single DD with a somewhat overwhelming bass that cuts into clarity (I haven't included the B400 as I am still experimenting with them - next measurement session on Monday on pair 3).

Go figure why...

Interesting. Could you elaborate IT01 vs Focal Sphear? Is the the "sphear S"?
If I recall, us Frenchies can get them for half price! :)

Nov 10, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #19,584 of 33,689
...everyone wants 86 BAs per side.
more drivers have some advantages, better soundstage and positioning, some of them have better low and high frequency extension, also if you want to use bass eq a multi driver earphone with two or more larger bass drivers will have better headroom and power

Nov 10, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #19,586 of 33,689
Interesting. Could you elaborate IT01 vs Focal Sphear? Is the the "sphear S"?
If I recall, us Frenchies can get them for half price! :)
The Sphear S and original Sphear have the same specs and sound - and only minor cosmetic differences. If I had to write a review, I would be in much pain because I could not care less about its cable, box content etc. First, it has an unusual bulbous shape which fits my ears perfectly. Second it has an irresistibly silky bass the makes you forget the rest. I call that ear candy. Whether the frequency response is like this or like that doesn't matter anymore. Here a quickie review that says it all: http://www.aproear.co.uk/focal-sphear/

The iBasso IT01 is a Head-Fi favourite with a very beefy sound and the biggest bass and sub-bass extension I have heard in an iem. Here a review that says it all: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ibasso-it01.22774/reviews#review-19624

UPDATE: just checked and the "quickie review" of the Sphear is by @loomisjohnson. Not surprised as he is the guy who can characterize an earphone adequately in two smooth sentences.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #19,588 of 33,689
@ Wiljen, between BQ3 and K2C, which one is more adequate for outdoor use ? can you compare them regarding isolation, comfort? Also, which one you prefer soundwise?
Wll be using for prog rock, rock, R&B, Pop, Hip Hop
thanks in advance

Shells are very similar shape and neither is particularly deep insertion so isolation is roughly the same between models. I think either would be fine unless used in exceedingly loud environments. Same for comfort, both are good but neither is spectacular. Soundwise, it depends on genre as to which I like better, for rock and pop I'd go bQ3, for orchestral and piano I'd go Kc2. Knowing your choices, I'd lean toward the BQ3.

Nov 10, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #19,589 of 33,689
Oh, I’m not bashing TRN. I’m bashing the people that think the driver wars are the only thing that should drive their decision.

The other thing to keep in mind is the size. A lot of people think the AS10 and ZSR are big. 6 or 7 drivers per side, plus crossover (and possibly tubing) takes up a lot of room.

I have to agree with you Slater.
Many people just think about buying the iems with most drivers, and just care about the driver brand and so on.

Maybe everyone should stop thinking drivers are everything.
There are many proves around that building an IEMs with brain, tuning in a good way less drivers and putting them into a well studied shell, could absolutely be better than picking a fancy big shell with 30 drivers per iem.
Not saying that drivers are useless, but listening to music with IEMs is not just about drivers, it is about enjoying what you're listening without considering only how many drivers are shooting out the sounds.

Nov 10, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #19,590 of 33,689

Users who are viewing this thread

Back