Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Oct 17, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #1,711 of 33,689
  I have just received Magaosi K1 today and I must say I am very impressed. These may be the first earphone which totally worth the hype because they are great. Not the usual one which get a lot of attention because they are new and because people don't have gear to compare to. They are indeed VERY VERY GOOD. I will rate them better than some Chinese 6 BA IEMs. These guys really now what they are doing. I use the white filters and I for me they are perfect in terms of bass. Vocals are simply outstanding. Some songs sound better with these than with Sony XBA-A3 or even Z5. I have owned both. This is not some **** like Zhiyin QT5 (forgive me but they are horrible).

Wow. Will be following this hype blindly but Magasi K1 will be my next and hopefully last chinese hybrid. After that, I`m out and will be just dealing with some personal DIY IEM experiments.

Oct 17, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #1,713 of 33,689
Which Chinese IEM is comparable or better than the MEE audio Pinnacle P1? The **** 4in1?

I own both of those and I don't think the 4in1 even really comes close to competing with the P1, granted the P1 is Mee's flagship and is also more than 5 times the price. They are also sporting different sound signatures, so its hard to directly compare since some might prefer the signature of the 4in1 more.

Sound signatures aside, the P1 to me is just more detailed and has a cleaner more musical sound than the 4in1 which by comparison sounds a bit harsh, mainly due to the treble which has just a touch of harshness to it, but the P1's treble is smoother, yet just as detailed if not more so. The 4in1's bass is more pronounced and hits a bit harder but the mids on the P1 are way more forward and musical. The P1 to me has better sound and is less fatiguing to listen to.

Then again, I wouldnt expect a $30 pair to really come close to a $200 pair, but for $30 the 4in1s are a steal, but if your expectation is for them to honestly beat a $200 pair, then I think you have bought too much into the hype around here, even with the affordability you can get from some of these chinese pairs.

Oct 17, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #1,714 of 33,689
The Urbanfun Hifi looks interesting but the creator of audiobudget wrote on his facebook page that compared to the cheap urbanfun hifi sold on aliepress at $20 (not the "urbanfun color"), the one with the metal case at $40-50 has a different sound signature (according to the manifacturer)

Besides, the urbanfun hifi at 89 RMB on taobao has more negative feedbacks than the one with the original packaging at 199 RMB so I wonder if someone has tried both IEM ?

i picked up a pair of the $20 AE (HCK) urbanfuns at the suggestion of the venerable vidal. they do have metal casings and (stupid logo aside) are awfully impressive sonically--large airy soundstage with particularly good layering/imaging. bass very tight and well articulated; neutralish, well-extended highs (neither bright nor smoothed over) with a lot of detail; drums and male vocals are particularly well-rendered. the value proposition of these is absolutely ridiculous--this segment of the market seems to evolving at warp street.

Oct 17, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #1,715 of 33,689
The 4in1's has always had a sweet spot in the spot light, but if I succeed in getting the Magaosi K1 and the DTS Plus I might just take a vacation with the cash I saved! ....Cha-ching! $ 
wink_face.gif
 $

Oct 17, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #1,717 of 33,689
A Magosi k1 vs DT2 plus will be a nice showdown once people start receiving them. Nice to see the 3 driver market picking up with new affordable releases.

I would love a 9 driver or a well known like Campfire, but I just can't spend that much at once in good conscience.
read my review on the DZ9, that'll change your mind! Since getting them I haven't wanted to buy any more iems. And I was one of the worst junkies ever!

Oct 17, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #1,718 of 33,689
I own both of those and I don't think the 4in1 even really comes close to competing with the P1, granted the P1 is Mee's flagship and is also more than 5 times the price. They are also sporting different sound signatures, so its hard to directly compare since some might prefer the signature of the 4in1 more.

Sound signatures aside, the P1 to me is just more detailed and has a cleaner more musical sound than the 4in1 which by comparison sounds a bit harsh, mainly due to the treble which has just a touch of harshness to it, but the P1's treble is smoother, yet just as detailed if not more so. The 4in1's bass is more pronounced and hits a bit harder but the mids on the P1 are way more forward and musical. The P1 to me has better sound and is less fatiguing to listen to.

Then again, I wouldnt expect a $30 pair to really come close to a $200 pair, but for $30 the 4in1s are a steal, but if your expectation is for them to honestly beat a $200 pair, then I think you have bought too much into the hype around here, even with the affordability you can get from some of these chinese pairs.
Ain't that the truth.

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #1,719 of 33,689
  i picked up a pair of the $20 AE (HCK) urbanfuns at the suggestion of the venerable vidal. they do have metal casings and (stupid logo aside) are awfully impressive sonically--large airy soundstage with particularly good layering/imaging. bass very tight and well articulated; neutralish, well-extended highs (neither bright nor smoothed over) with a lot of detail; drums and male vocals are particularly well-rendered. the value proposition of these is absolutely ridiculous--this segment of the market seems to evolving at warp street.

How does the urbanfun compare to your UE or DT2 (forgot which one you had).

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #1,720 of 33,689

Ain't that the truth.

For reference, I have UE900s and some **** UEs. The sound from the UEs is getting pretty close with competing with the UE900s, sound signature differences aside. Not identical, but I enjoy them as much.

But i'm not just focused on the 4in1 or the ~$30 price tag. Say a chinese iem around the same price of $200. Will it be superior or inferior? The Super Audio 6 is $250 and has 6 BA drivers. Would that be incredibly better than the single dynamic driver of the P1? Or the 4 drivers of the SE846?

I guess what I'm wondering is if chinese iems could surpass brand name iems of the same price. Could chinese iems of lower price compete with some higher priced stuff? 

In you alls opinion, what would a **** 4in1/UEs be equivalent to in a brand name iem?

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #1,722 of 33,689

For reference, I have UE900s and some **** UEs. The sound from the UEs is getting pretty close with competing with the UE900s, sound signature differences aside. Not identical, but I enjoy them as much.

But i'm not just focused on the 4in1 or the ~$30 price tag. Say a chinese iem around the same price of $200. Will it be superior or inferior? The Super Audio 6 is $250 and has 6 BA drivers. Would that be incredibly better than the single dynamic driver of the P1? Or the 4 drivers of the SE846?

I guess what I'm wondering is if chinese iems could surpass brand name iems of the same price. Could chinese iems of lower price compete with some higher priced stuff? 

In you alls opinion, what would a **** 4in1/UEs be equivalent to in a brand name iem?

I wasn't trying to imply that the 4in1s are bad or that cheap chinese iems cant compete with higher priced ones. Its just that I see the crazy amounts of hype some of these headphones generate, as if this cheap (cheap as in price, not necessarily quality) pair are somehow equivalent to top of the line headphones. Price isnt everything, but it is hopefully a decent indicator of how well they perform. And yes the 4in1s certainly punch above their price point, but $30 vs $200, you are talking about 7 times the price and the P1s are just in a different league, both price and performance. So no, price alone isnt the only indicator, but at 30 vs 200, its not even really the same ballpark. But with headphones its all about diminishing returns. Even in those different ballparks, we are talking about achieving maybe 90% of the performance for 1/7th of the price. Thats great, but to me they just arent on the same level for performance alone. Value is another thing, and I think the 4in1s excel there.

Unfortunately, I also dont have a lot of other iems to compare to, but I would say they compete in the same ballpark performance wise as my trinity vyrus, and alpha delta ad01's, which are both quite a bit more expensive. Though of course with different tunings. But in my mind for what I have, the P1 is my top of the line, and none of the others I have are really on the same level.

Oct 17, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #1,723 of 33,689
I wasn't trying to imply that the 4in1s are bad or that cheap chinese iems cant compete with higher priced ones. Its just that I see the crazy amounts of hype some of these headphones generate, as if this cheap (cheap as in price, not necessarily quality) pair are somehow equivalent to top of the line headphones. Price isnt everything, but it is hopefully a decent indicator of how well they perform. And yes the 4in1s certainly punch above their price point, but $30 vs $200, you are talking about 7 times the price and the P1s are just in a different league, both price and performance. So no, price alone isnt the only indicator, but at 30 vs 200, its not even really the same ballpark. But with headphones its all about diminishing returns. Even in those different ballparks, we are talking about achieving maybe 90% of the performance for 1/7th of the price. Thats great, but to me they just arent on the same level for performance alone. Value is another thing, and I think the 4in1s excel there.

4in1 is great for value, but I wouldn't even put them in the same league as my $220 DBA-02 MkII, which do one thing and one thing well: faithfully reproduce the music with no coloring of sound. The level of detail is levels apart.

However, I've owned my fair share of cheaper IEMs, and I'll take the 4in1 over those. For example, the S4i or the S200i, they just don't have the detail in the bass or treble regions. What they did have was a lot of bass, but the bass was loose and not well controlled. I bought those before I knew about all things head-fi.

Oct 17, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #1,724 of 33,689

How does the urbanfun compare to your UE or DT2 (forgot which one you had).

i'm cautious of the "shiny new toy" effect, so i want to do a more measured comparo of the urbanfun with the dt2. OOTB, however, i'd say the urbanfun has better bass control (tho less quantity) and is more "airy" and less bright; overall clarity and highend detail seems comparable. the dt2 sounds bigger, tho imaging may actually be more precise with the urbanfun. both damn good--will probably post more impressions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back