Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
May 17, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #15,482 of 33,689
Just because something has a similar shape doesn't mean it's a ripoff... this community is toxic as @#$&...

Well, English isn't my first language, so... Maybe I have used the wrong term using rip-off (which I understand as a cheap or bad copy of something) so I apologize if my post came out as offensive.

And people here aren't toxic, you can see most of the people are helping each other. :)

May 17, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #15,483 of 33,689
Since I found the privileges to reply :) I reply: I don't think this community is toxic. But according to the rules very strictly applied to people like me, this design is a ripoff. One has to apply the same scale to everything and everybody.

Ask Mr. Fender what he thinks...

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #15,486 of 33,689
Ouch! Therefore no mentioning of KZ ZS16 or TRN V60 or other Fender lookalikes here as plagiarism is against the rules. Same with KZ ZS6 as a visual ripoff of the Campfire Andromeda.

Quite frankly, if I had known this, I would have NOT ordered the V60. I thought the company had a good design idea. Truly disappointing.

But then again, one would have to remove most companies, sellers, and iems from the list.

We can't discuss ear pads and ear tips then, because they are all ripoffs of one another's design. Cables too, as those are all nearly identical to one another. And technically all speaker drivers, as those too are all basically the same design.

Oh wait, they are only INSPIRED by the same designs, with unique differences that set them apart from one another, and none are directly representing themselves as their counterparts (as THAT would be against the rules ie counterfeits).

I guess talking about all of those things is OK after all. Whew, glad we got that all figured out!

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #15,487 of 33,689
We can't discuss ear pads and ear tips then, because they are all ripoffs of one another's design. Cables too, as those are all nearly identical to one another. And technically all speaker drivers, as those too are all basically the same design.
Yeah, but I wished that a good design idea [housings are more complex than ear tips] had been their own as a sign of innovation that would likely also be reflected by the tonality.

I am still searching for my holy grail: a cheap Chinese iem with a great original design and sound alike. In terms of design, the metallic KZ ZSA is appealing...

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #15,488 of 33,689
ANNOUNCEMENT:
For the case you haven't heard of it, my posting privileges for the two threads "<$100 Chinese earphones" and "Knowledge Zenith" have been revoked for indefinitely but I can still see the posts and even give "likes". The official reasoning was given as me mentioning a forbidden brand and alluding to a forbidden business. While I had been pushing the envelope somewhat, this nevertheless came rather unexpectedly.

As a consequence, I will have to respond to posts on the threads I am banned from on this one here. That's rather cumbersome.

So, please don't forget to drop by here sometimes.

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #15,489 of 33,689
The phonograph has published its KZ ED15 review. They report a "non-bass entered" earphone. I must have received a different tuning; mine is a bass canon..and not in a bad way.

Just read that review and their description of the bass is way off.

Note to self:

Never read anymore phonograph reviews.

May 17, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #15,491 of 33,689
First impressions on MEIZU LIVE (4BA IEM)

Received this today from Gearbest for 203USD.
Quite a bit over an hour listening time so far.

Build
Nice stiff and tangle free cable with pre-shaped ear hooks. Overall solid build. Nice packaging and overall appearance. Quality accessories.
4 types of foam tips and 3 types of silicones (which reminds me of the Westone star tips in quality and appearance.)
Solid build quality of the filter connection (screwed).
I would rate the MMCX connection of the same quality. Tight fit.

Listening Equipment
Onkyo DP-X1A, Sony Xperia Z3C
Foam tips of my Rose Mini6

Driveability
Average. The most quiet songs on my Sony are at appr. 90% of my preferred volume by driving it on the top end. (I like it loud).

Sound
(Please bear in mind I am not a reviewer and only a hobbyist. So take the following with a grain of salt.)
I could only make out small deviations between the three filter pairs so I sticked with the neutral ones (black)
Tonality:
warm, quite full and natural sounding, almost balanced and coherent, fatigue free and complete hiss free, pleasent
Bass:
Does not dive to the deepest areas. Attack is good. Not the hardest hit. More on the soft side for a BA driver but not really soft in the end.
Mids:
They are there :wink: and prominent (what I like). Good clarity. Good details. Voices of both men and women comes very natural. For me are the mids on the Live the star of the show.
Highs:
(Just) Ok. While strings sound clear and again natural the treble does not reach as high as I wished to. Also not the most prominent side of the IEM. I believe this could cause some losses of details in the music. Which is on the one hand a lack and on the other hand I often struggle with too prominent highs causing sibilance / hiss which is not the case here. (I am very sensitive to sibilance). I am not too much worried about. Usually foam tips sucks some treble in my experience. Might not the issue with silicone tips with the Live.
Soundstage:
Average width and height and only slightly closer in depth compared to the other dimensions. So you get a good room feeling.
Instrument placement is good and instrument separation, too.

Is the Meizu Live worth the 203 bucks?
I think considering the complete package you get - yes it is.
Again, this is after only about one hour (listening) experience with the Meizu Live!
The time with the Meizu will show if it is a long time keeper for me or not. It definitely has the potential to be more as a short time keeper! But I have the Rose Mini6 and this is sonically a very strong competition - although the Mini6 is back at Penon / Rose for replacement (already the 2nd pair) now due to quality issues.

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #15,494 of 33,689
The phonograph has published its KZ ED15 review. They report a "non-bass centered" earphone. I must have received a different tuning; mine is a bass canon..and not in a bad way.

I think phonograph might well be the first AI based review site. They have found lots of templates, and terms which audiophiles use and then just mix and combine them, to make a review. :p

May 18, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #15,495 of 33,689
Anyone tried Tansio Mirai(唐宋未来) 3 driver iem? They are tunable like LZ Big Dipper.
upload_2018-5-18_11-56-3.png

https://www.yoycart.com/Product/567515119366/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back