Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Apr 21, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #15,226 of 33,689
Apr 21, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #15,227 of 33,689
I don't know, but I have been searching for some higher impedance IEMs for a while now. Hopefully we'll get an answer as to whether the 96 Ohm claim is correct on the QKZ DM300 and QKZ W3. They are the only ones I've seen with that higher impedance claim.
with all this talk of higher impedance iems, Idk if anyone mentioned monk ie biggie, which has 80ohm resistance

ve monk ie smalls have 24 ohm

I received a PM from @loomisjohnson who states: "looking at the dm300 i'd venture with 99.99% certainty that slater is correct--a 96o impedance would be impracticable."

In addition to AE and Fasttech, I've since found other websites which also claim the DM300 has 96 Ohms, Banggood, aleanna.net, newegg, and Lazada. Perhaps this is a case of bad information given and being repeated by every seller. Unless someone who owns them is able and willing to test them, I don't guess we'll know for sure.

Regarding the 80 Ohm Monk IE Biggie, another member said they sound similarly on the Zishan Z2 as with another DAP. I believe the Biggies and Smalls cost around $60 for the set.

I'm wondering if one of those impedance matching dongles is the only way to use IEMs (especially those with BA) with the Zishan Z2. The thought of an additional piece of equipment does not appeal.

Apr 21, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #15,228 of 33,689
Here are some with 32 and above ohm rating:

SoundMagic E80 64 ohm

VSonic VSD2 S 40 ohm

VSonic GR07 Classic 40 ohm

VSonic GR07 Bass 40 ohm

Havi B3 Pro v1 32 ohm

HiFiMan RE 400 32 ohm

i.Valux Hybrid 32 ohm

i.Valux Hybrid Wood 32 ohm

96 Ohm would be a nice option.

Thanks for this list. Someone else reminded me of the Monk IE Biggies at a claimed 80 Ohms.

Apr 22, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #15,229 of 33,689
Apr 22, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #15,230 of 33,689
The HE 150Pros are 150 ohm and not bad they aren't IEMs though
I didn't have any success with the famous Soundmagic 10 and 80 series I think they need some tip rolling

Apr 22, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #15,231 of 33,689
I'm wondering if one of those impedance matching dongles is the only way to use IEMs (especially those with BA) with the Zishan Z2. The thought of an additional piece of equipment does not appeal.

There is a resistor mod that many of us have done on the Walnut F1 that lowers the output of the op-amp and makes it easier to use higher senstivity lower impendance IEMs with the F1. Take a look at the walnut thread here.
I'd be almost sure something similar could be done across the correct legs of the opamp on the Z2 with similar results.

Apr 23, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #15,233 of 33,689
Apr 23, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #15,234 of 33,689
Apr 23, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #15,235 of 33,689
There is a resistor mod that many of us have done on the Walnut F1 that lowers the output of the op-amp and makes it easier to use higher senstivity lower impendance IEMs with the F1. Take a look at the walnut thread here.
I'd be almost sure something similar could be done across the correct legs of the opamp on the Z2 with similar results.

Yes, I've read that. Though I don't understand all the modding stuff with the Walnuts and Zishans, I read it all with fascination.
Someone posted a photo of a mod on the Zishan Z2 forum (now closed) that shows a 100 ohm resistor placed on the output jack.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/brand-new-zishan-z2-dsd-player-ak-4490-link-to-order-firmware-update-page-1.854463/page-31
. This is not something I can do.
And I'm not sure those dongles do what I thought or hoped they would do anyway, though a debate seems to continue.

In other forums, some have suggested connecting an amp with a <1 Ohm output impedance when using low impedance IEMs and especially the multi-BA phones. If I understand what I've read correctly, the Walnut F1 amp also has 100 Ohm output impedance, so perhaps the Topping NX1S or similar with a near zero ohm output. Can anyone verify that this is a workable solution? Still, the thought of an additional piece of equipment doesn't appeal.

9999982.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #15,236 of 33,689
Yes, I've read that. Though I don't understand all the modding stuff with the Walnuts and Zishans, I read it all with fascination.
Someone posted a photo of a mod on the Zishan Z2 forum (now closed) that shows a 100 ohm resistor placed on the output jack.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/brand-new-zishan-z2-dsd-player-ak-4490-link-to-order-firmware-update-page-1.854463/page-31
. This is not something I can do.
And I'm not sure those dongles do what I thought or hoped they would do anyway, though a debate seems to continue.

In other forums, some have suggested connecting an amp with a <1 Ohm output impedance when using low impedance IEMs and especially the multi-BA phones. If I understand what I've read correctly, the Walnut F1 amp also has 100 Ohm output impedance, so perhaps the Topping NX1S or similar with a near zero ohm output. Can anyone verify that this is a workable solution? Still, the thought of an additional piece of equipment doesn't appeal.

9999982.jpg

isn't that a capacitor? or is there some other resistor I'm missing?

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #15,237 of 33,689
Apr 24, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #15,239 of 33,689
isn't that a capacitor? or is there some other resistor I'm missing?

LOL, so I guess there's a difference? When I saw the poster's comment about an output mod, it reminded me of a photo with something attached to the output jack of a Z2. I'm a noob. Sorry.

So, my question remains about the viability/usability of the Z2/<1 Ohm output amp/multi-BA combo. Any info would be appreciated, as I haven't the funds or desire to do a lot of trial and error.

Apr 24, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #15,240 of 33,689
LOL, so I guess there's a difference? When I saw the poster's comment about an output mod, it reminded me of a photo with something attached to the output jack of a Z2. I'm a noob. Sorry.

So, my question remains about the viability/usability of the Z2/<1 Ohm output amp/multi-BA combo. Any info would be appreciated, as I haven't the funds or desire to do a lot of trial and error.

uh, it'll be better if you study up on basic electronics first before attempting such mods. Capacitors and resistors are 2 very different things. Most common I've seen on Zishan is the OP-AMP rolling to change the sound sigs.

Get the most definite guide to lowering the output impedance and get handy with a soldering iron (practice first on cheap boards). If you just need to do one thing, the community (both here and on the Zishan/Walnut WaZE FB group) should be quite useful in providing you with a foolproof guide. You can definitely find your answer there (they use the Zishan for everything).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back