Chilling/lounging music
Dec 12, 2007 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

seals

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for some music to listen to while trying to relax after a busy day. One idea a JUST found is Shplongle. I'm listening to one of their songs right now it is great for unwinding. The music doesn't have to be electronic but just good for what I want.
ps. Shplongle is the only electronic band I've listened to so maybe some suggestions for that kinda stuff too.
THANKS

Dec 12, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 26
I second Buddha Bar, very very nice, Deep Forest is great, not sure if you'd go down with Enya, or more Indian type music such as Karunesh.

A bit more mainstream you might like the Ministry of Sound Chillout compilations as well.

Dec 12, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 26
Yo La Tengo "I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One"

I love love love this album when I need something to calm my nerves, just a great album

If you've had a bad day and need something to help you reconcile I always throw in the song "First Breath After Coma" by Explosions in the Sky, something about the song always restores me to my proper place

Dec 12, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 26
Kings of Convenience

Dec 12, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #10 of 26
I recently picked up Chillout Ibiza - The Balearic Edition and it's pretty good listen. Zero 7 - Simple Things is a pretty sure shot.

Dec 12, 2007 at 10:07 AM Post #11 of 26
If you liked Shpongle, I would really recommend BT's "This Binary Universe". It's laid-back electronica infused with some jazz/classical elements. Very Beautiful to listen to. Also for other relaxing material, check out the group Sigur Ros.

Dec 12, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #13 of 26
I'm not sure that I understand the question. "Chilling", as I understand it, is the process either of coming down from an upper, or relaxing under the influence of cannibis. As a musical genre, chill music is club-oriented and just seems to be electronic music with a narrow dynamic range, slow pace and very consonant harmonies. It may suit the former purpose, but I'd have thought that mellow acoustic music suits the latter activity better.

If the question is more "what music should I use for relaxation?" then I agree with Uncle Eric in that Arvo Part is quite good for that: try Tabula Rasa. Alternatively, Bach or Handel performed on the piano is pretty good: you can't go wrong with Glen Gould's Goldberg Variations. If you want to avoid classical, try Keith Jarrett's Vienna Concert.

Dec 12, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #15 of 26
Spiritualized -- Lazer-Guided Melodies
O.T.T. -- Blumenkraft

Users who are viewing this thread

Back