CHICAGO - Store Recommendation
Jul 19, 2008 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Brimstone

100+ Head-Fier
I live in Utah. As far as I can tell there are no decent stores in Utah.

I will be in the Chicago area on Monday and I am looking for a store that sells decent headphones and may have an assortment to choose from. I will be staying in Itasca, so I would like something close to there. I have looked at Music Direct, but I believe they are in the city. Is there anywhere outside downtown that i should check?

I would be looking for Sennheiser and Audio-Technica specifically, but I would like to check out other options.

Oct 10, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #2 of 6
hey, sorry, I never saw this post. I know its late, but the place to check out it called Audio Consultants. they have a few stores. the best one is in Evanston. they have lots of sennheisers, Grado's, and a couple stax. best selection I've seen in the area. havent found any AT's to listen to.. good luck if your still searching.

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #3 of 6
+1 for Audio Consultants

They will literally just let you sit and listen for hours to decide what you like. They actually have a pretty good small room for listening. The staff is knowledgeable and helpful.

What do they have?
- All of the current production Grados (including iGrado)
- All of the High End Sennheisers (HD600, 650, 595, etc.) + some portables
- Stax 202/303/404 are carried

Periodically, they can have some other headphones in there as they do a bit of second hand as well.

The Dynamics are driven off of a Project Headbox.
The Electrostatics are driven off of the SRM-252.

*This is from when I was in there in April*

Oct 10, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 6
How are their prices? I'd like to support local but full retail on some headphones is almost double compared to internet price
frown.gif

Would they let you demo with your own amp?

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are their prices? I'd like to support local but full retail on some headphones is almost double compared to internet price
frown.gif

Would they let you demo with your own amp?

prices are fairly high, although I was told that they would match online prices of Senns. at least I was told that at the Hinsdale store. dont know if they would let you use your own amp.. probably though. there pretty cool.

Oct 11, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #6 of 6
Yeah, they do let you use your own amp.

I brought in my portable system at the time for the Grados and it was actually encouraged.
The price on Grados is what you see everywhere and it seems like they can price match many of the larger retailers on this site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back