CHICAGO SLANG (for any in coming people to our Great City.)
Jan 27, 2006 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

bhd812

Headphoneus Supremus
The examples are alittle Far fetched in there spelling, but still gives you some idea how to use the slang words in a sentence. some are dead on truth some are
well alittle out there.

-for my "guys" in Chicago and all "use" foreigners who want to visit... brush up on your Chi-town lingo...

1. Grachki (grach'-key): Chicagoese for "garage key" as in, "Yo, Theresa, waja do wit da grachki? Howmy supposta cut da grass if I don't git intada
grach?"

2. Uptadaendada (up-ta-da-en'-dada): As in, "Joey, you kin ride yur bike uptadaendada alley but not acrost or I'll bust yur butt."

3. Sammich: Chicagoese for sandwich. When made with sausage, it's a sassage sammich; when made with shredded beef, it's an Italian Beef sammich, a local delicacy consisting of piles of spicy meat in a perilously soggy bun.

4. Da: This article is a key part of Chicago speech, as in "Da Bears" or "Da Mare" -- the latter denoting mayor Richard M. Daley, or Richie, as he's often called.

5. Jewels: Not family heirlooms or a tender body region, but a popular name for one of the region's dominant grocery store chains. "I'm goin' to da Jewels to pick up some sassage."

6. Field's: Marshall Field, a prom inent Chicago department store. Also Carson Pirie Scott, another major department store chain, is simply called "Carson's."

7. Tree: The number between two and four. "We were lucky dat we only got tree inches of snow da udder night."

8. Prairie: A vacant lot, especially one on which weeds are growing.

9. Over by dere: Translates to "over by there," a way of emphasizing a site presumed familiar to the listener. As in, "I got the sassage at da Jewels down on Kedzie, over by dere."

10 Kaminski Park: The mispronounced name of the ballpark where the Chicago White Sox (da Sox) play baseball. Comiskey Park was recently renamed U.S. Cellular Field (yuck!)

11. Frunchroom: As in, "Getottada frunchroom wit dose muddy shoes." It's not the "parlor." It's not the "living room." In! the land of the bungalow, it's the "frunchroom," a named derived, linguists believe, from "front room."

12. Use: Not the verb, but the plural pronoun "you! ." ! ; ;"Wher e's use goin'?"

13. Downtown: Anywhere near The Lake, south of The Zoo (Lincoln Park Zoo) and north of Soldier Field.

14. The Lake: Lake Michigan. (What other lake is there?) It's often used by local weathermen, "cooler by The Lake."

15. BoysTown: A section on Halsted between Belmont and Addison which is lined with ...I am editing this one for Headfi...Umm I think you can take a guess at this...lol

16. Braht: Short for Bratwurst. "Gimme a braht wit kraut."

17. Cashbox: Traffic reporter slang for tollbooths. "Dere's a delay at da cashbox on da Skyway."

18. Goes: Past or present tense of the verb "say." For example, "Then he goes, 'I like this place'!"

19. Guys: Used when addressing two or more people, regardless of each individual's gender.

20. Pop: A soft drink. Don't say "soda" in this town. "Do ya wanna canna pop?"

21. Sliders : Nickname for hamburgers from White Castle, a popular Midwestern burger chain. "Dose sliders I had last night gave me da runs."

22 The Taste: The Taste of Chicago Festival, a huge extravaganza in Grant Park featuring samples of Chicagoland cuisine which takes place each year around the Fourth of July holiday.

23. "Jieetyet?": Translates to, "Did you eat yet?"

24 Winter and Construction: Punch line to the joke, "What are the two seasons in Chicago?"

25. Cuppa Too-Tree: is Chicagoese for "a couple, two, three" which really means "a few." For example, "Hey Mike, dere any beerz left in da cooler over by dere?" "Yeh, a cuppa too-tree."

26. 588-2300: Everyone in Chicago knows this commercial jingle and the carpet company you'll get if you call that number -- Empire!

27. Junk Djor: You will usua lly find the 'junk drawer' in the kitchen
filled to the brim with miscellaneous, but very important, junk.

28. Southern Illinois: Anything south of I-80.

29. Expressways: The Interstates in the immediate Chicagoland area are usually known just by their 'name' and not their Interstate number: the Dan Ryan ("the Ryan"), the Stevenson, the Kennedy, the Eisenhower (the "Ike"), and the Edens.

30. Gym Shoes: The rest of the country may refer to them as sneakers or running shoes but Chicagoans will always call them gym shoes!

31. Da Coach: The one and only Mike Ditka

Jan 27, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #2 of 42
What do you call your weird "upside down topping" pizzas out there?

I haven't had one of those in a long time.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Jan 27, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812

26. 588-2300: Everyone in Chicago knows this commercial jingle and the carpet company you'll get if you call that number -- Empire!

LOL...I live in Southwestern Ontario and some of the NBC, ABC, etc, affiliates we get here play the empire commercials, the cartoon ones with the mustachioed guy..."800 588 two three hundered....empiiirree..."
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
LOL...I live in Southwestern Ontario and some of the NBC, ABC, etc, affiliates we get here play the empire commercials, the cartoon ones with the mustachioed guy..."800 588 two three hundered....empiiirree..."
biggrin.gif

If anyone is ever in Chicago and shops at a "Dominick's" grocery store....
the cashier will ask for your "fresh card" (which is a savings card for the store). instead of having a "FREsh Card" just put in the Empire number..
it works on both Chicago area codes 773 and 312. its a store underground secret only few know.

this way youll get all the savings as if you had a real fresh card..lol

Then again I wouldnt know this by my part time job....lol (cough Dominicks cough)

Jan 27, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 42
It is also worthwhile to note that Illinois is actually two separate states.
Chicagoland, run by the honorable Mayor Daley and kin.
And Illinois, run by fatter politicians. Bribery and scandals are usually prerequisites for these positions.

Say was the scary fat Menard's guy a Chicagoland phenomenon as well? Don't think I've seen one outside of Illinois.

Jan 27, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire

Say was the scary fat Menard's guy a Chicagoland phenomenon as well? Don't think I've seen one outside of Illinois.

Are you talking about Handy Andy? I think he died of a grabber (Chicago term for cardiac arrest caused by eating too many sassages)

Jan 27, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #9 of 42
Isn't there supposed to be some caramel corn you can get in chicago that's like crack-cocaine-good? I remember reading an article in Gourmet magazine I think a while ago...

Jan 27, 2006 at 9:40 AM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
biggrin.gif

weird, we've got that jingle in los angeles too. i was tripping out last time i was there cause i heard it on tv and it's one of the few jingles that i remember from being a kid. but anyways...

Jan 27, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamsmrt
Isn't there supposed to be some caramel corn you can get in chicago that's like crack-cocaine-good? I remember reading an article in Gourmet magazine I think a while ago...

Maybe Gertie's Ice Cream Parlor? They made great caramel corn ( I worked there -Lindy's/Gerties- for a summer).

Quote:

Originally Posted by
8. Prairie: A vacant lot, especially one on which weeds are growing.

That really takes me back. I don't think I have heard it in that context in more than 25 years!

Once in a while here in Omaha people say that I say 'Chicago' funny.

Jan 27, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #12 of 42
I think a lot of places in US use "goes" to mean "say" in conversation, you can hear it on TV too.

Back in college, I have heard stuff like "Tsssgo", it meant "let's go"

Someone needs to make a similar list about Bahston.

English language is evolving.

Jan 27, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamsmrt

yeah man, the place is called Garretts. crazy good/expensive.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
I think a lot of places in US use "goes" to mean "say" in conversation, you can hear it on TV too.
Back in college, I have heard stuff like "Tsssgo", it meant "let's go"
Someone needs to make a similar list about Bahston.
English language is evolving.

more so devolving. one day everyone will communicate just by a noise.

and remember call 8602000 for a quote victory will tow your car no matter what conditon you car is in and you might get cash on the spot

Jan 28, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc goose
weird, we've got that jingle in los angeles too. i was tripping out last time i was there cause i heard it on tv and it's one of the few jingles that i remember from being a kid. but anyways...

Yeah, moving to LA from Chi-town that really freaked me out.

Here's one: the natives call their city Chi- CAW-go
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back