Chicago Head-fi meet impressions
Oct 22, 2002 at 1:31 PM Post #31 of 36
A sad day in the Tuberoller houshold.I had to return the Revox to my Dad along with all the really nice Synergistic research cables. I stayed up nearly all night playing with that thing.I installed it in the Fisher/AKG K1000 system,the Max/HD600 combo,The Twinhead/HD600 combo,and a few other combinations.This thing is just so amazing.

I was doing a head count for our meet and I am sure there were 12 people there including ten head-fier's.That's not a bad turnout.I will have more time to plan our spring meet which should allow me to devote more time to planning things besides getting the gear.I actually still have stuff showing up that got here too late to use for our meet.I just got a Phillips SACD-1000 player,Musical Fidelity A3.2 CDP,and a prototype Denon SACD player that looks really cool,all from The Little Guys A/V.I am going to send this stuff right back cause I won't get anything done this week if I keep this stuff and play with it.I also have some Acoustic Zen cables and a Sony SACD-1 that I borrowed from Bruce at Kay's Interiors.I want to thank these guys for sending the gear even though we couldn't use it.I would also like to thank the people at Kevro(the North American Musical Fidelity Distributors) for the offer of gear and advice.We will take all these fine people up on their offers for the spring meet.the next meet will be gear overload.I think we will have to hold it over two days.If my wife has her way I may be moving to a house that is a bit smaller but brand spankin' new.The house I live in now is really huge and has a lot of room to spread out but is very expensive to heat and cool and the property taxes here are outragous.I know the new house will have a large basement which will be all mine and I will dedicate to my listening room /project space.look for the next meeting to happen in April of 2003.

Oct 22, 2002 at 1:56 PM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Born2bwire
... The HP-1000's were neat to hear, though the headband seemed to be shaped for a pumpkin. ...

Thank you! Redemption at last!

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. So when's the next DC area meet, Hirsch?
wink.gif

kerely

Oct 22, 2002 at 2:08 PM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
Thank you! Redemption at last!
Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. So when's the next DC area meet, Hirsch?
wink.gif

Real Soon Now. I'll post in the meetings forum, but I'm thinking maybe sometime before Thanksgiving.

Oct 22, 2002 at 2:49 PM Post #34 of 36
What can I say, It was awesome. I missed the last Headroom road show and have never seen that much headphone hardware in one place. I finally got to hear some really great stuff that until now I was only able to read and drool about.

The Revox/blockhead/RS1/Senn 600 setup was beyond what words can describe, it truly sounded like being there. The cable for the Senn 600s was unbelievable at about one inch of thickness
biggrin.gif

Almost all of the gear was amazing but a few cans while looking quite good didn't sound all that great to me (Sony 1700, AKG-401, AKG-501) and didn't live up to my expectations. I was very surprised to find out that contrary to what I have read, I have actually liked the tube gear with rock/metal/industrial and goa music. I still prefer this type of music when running threw the Grado's but every amp I tried it on with the Grado's, it sounded very good. Sure there where differences but all the amps at the show sounded amazing.

The Fisher with the AKG-1000 was a close second after the Revox combo, very sweet and unusual both in looks and sound, only it was too bad that the cable was screwed in to the Fisher and I was not able to plug the AHG-1000s in to any other amp/source combinations, specifically the Revox/Blockhead.

I was glad to have a chance to run the MG Head threw a longer test run and it sounded quite good with my Grado 325's, but with Senn 600 the music like Pink Floyd DSOTM on Gold master sounded very sweet. Its definitely a way to listen to music when you want to relax. Both are a definite on my shopping list
smily_headphones1.gif

The down side was that the time flew by VERY FAST! And since I wanted to listen to as much as I could I didn't get to chat to as many of the participants as I wanted to. There is so much to be learned from all the gurus there but no time for it. I am also very sorry that I didn't get a chance to hear any of the great turntables that tuberoller has brought. I was really looking forward to it! I never heard good vinyl on good table, running via good tubes, and cans, must be heaven
biggrin.gif
I also had to leave earlier and missed out on the T-shirt giveaway
frown.gif
But I'm going to be back in the store to pickup some hardware, thanks Adam for the deal
smily_headphones1.gif

I want to thank tuberoller for giving all this effort to the event. He really went out of his way to make it as successful and enjoyable as possible. And tuberoller, don't worry about not having refreshments, we all should be at least buying you dinner!
biggrin.gif
I also feel sorry I didn't take more and better pictures, just didn't want to get in a way
wink.gif
Looking forward to the next meeting and hopefully by then I will have more hardware and learn a bit more.

Thanks to all that made it possible and I'm looking forward to the summer one
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2002 at 11:05 PM Post #35 of 36
We all had a great time. Thanks to Tuberoller who put a lot of work and $$$ into this. And also Decibel and all the guys who lent us equipment.

I still say my RKV II amp was the best amp there. I guess it's me but the Twinhead didn't do it for me. I also didn't care for the Blockhead all that much, even connected to a $6000 CD player. If I'm still here in 2003 I will certainly make it to the next one.

Oct 23, 2002 at 2:28 AM Post #36 of 36
All hail Tuberoller!

The last picture and to Yage's left - I am the geek wearing acid's Beyer 770s and wondering how the hell am I going to pay for a new source and a Blockhead! Also thiniking how am I going to pay for a blue porta META and new 770s! I had a great time, met some new people, hung out with grizzled vets like tuberoller and acid.

Impressive equipment was on hand. The Blockhead with the 600s and the AKG1000/Fisher combo was the hit of the show. I finally had a chance sit down and listen to the Blockhead - of course attached to a really, really, really expensive Revox! I listened to Bach's Oboe Concerto. Amazing clarity, great bass extension. Sounded as if my wife were playing right in front of me. Put a big smile on my mug.

AKG1000/Fisher combo - Where does all that bass come from! I listened to the Gladiator soundtrack and I was wondering where the subwoofer was placed in the store. Sade's Ordinary Love never sounded better.

RKV/Beyer 770Music Hall 25 CDP - I have to give props to acid's can/amp combo. Acid says they are great rock cans. After listening to some Stairway and Gov't Mule (gotta pick up some of their CDs!) I totally agree. Tuberoller, take it easy on acid's RKV.

Maxed out META (via JMT) - Tighter bass than my Vert-special JMT CHA47, but that's about it. I'd like to do a comparo of the Vert-special CHA47 and Maxed out META and find out what the hoopla is all about.

After all was said and done, I reinstalled all of my gear at home and listened to the Bach Oboe Concerto (AGAIN!). I realized I love my system and the way it sounds. I may never own a Blockhead (keeps fingers crossed) and I may not get the 770s (who am I kidding! Damn you acid.) or the Blue Porta META (we'll talk JMT), but all of my gear is paid for and my system makes music so much sweeter to listen to.

Regards - reynman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back