Chicago Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread 1/29/05
Jan 28, 2005 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 144

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
I am setting up tomorrow's Chicago Head-Fi Meet impressions thread right now because I will be at work this evening until almost midnight.

Please do not reply to this thread until late this evening at the earliest.

I will post my impressions tomorrow. I may be late arriving there.

Eagle_Driver

Jan 30, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 144
I have pics of the equipment in the meet:

100_2490.jpg

100_2491.jpg

100_2492.jpg

100_2493.jpg

100_2494.jpg

100_2495.jpg

Jan 30, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 144
How did the system driven by the VPI Scout sound? I am so close to pulling the trigger on a Scout it isn't funny.

Jan 30, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #8 of 144
I am back from the meet, tired and sleepy.

Here are my brief impressions:

Headphones:
I got to listen to only a few models of headphones at the meet.

The new Grado SR-325i sounds a bit better than the old SR-325. The older 325 sounds a bit too hyped up in the lows and the highs in comparison.

I listened to the Sennheiser HD650 again, this time using my Cardas cable. I like it more than I did the first time I heard it. It made my HD600 sound a tad bright and ever-so-slightly grainy in comparison.

And both the Beyer DT880 and the AKG K501 impressed me quite a bit. I also quite like the AKG K340 - but only on expensive equipment.

Amps:
Most of the amps that I've listened to outperform my Grado RA-1 (which smooths out the detail a bit much). Unfortunately, most of those also cost much more than what I paid for my RA-1.

If I had to buy an amp on impulse, it has to be the Emmeline SR-71. This little amp continued to impress me with every listen.

I enjoyed this meet. I got acidtripwow to listen to my MDR-7509 just for kicks.

And a special thanks to Ray Samuels (the builder of the Emmeline line of amps), his daughter Emmeline (whadda coincidence!) and the rest of the Samuels family for the food and for hosting the meet - and to Fred (Tuberoller) for planning the meet.

Eagle_Driver

Jan 30, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #10 of 144
Wow! What was that little brushed aluminum looking MG Head clone? Was that a silver Blockhead? How about thos clear tops from Ray??? We need, want details!

Jan 30, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #12 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Large4mat
Impressions on the Ray Samuels Raptor and HeadRoom Coda/Overture please!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto. Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
What is that silver tube amp sitting next to what looks like a prottype SR71? (7th pic from the top, I think).

That's the upcoming Raptor. I heard an early prototype just a little while ago, while on business in Chicago, and already placed my order.

The prototype was very impressive, and I think the Raptor will easily eventually end up being the best selling Ray Samuels Audio home amp so far. It's a two-piecer, by the way (the power supply is in a separate chassis). Can someone post a photo of the Raptor's power supply (or point it out if it's in any of the above photos)?

Also, what's up with that silver BlockHead? Photos of the Eartube and the Coda/Overture system would be groovy, too.

b.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #13 of 144
Nice collection of source components--any impressions of the Sony(SCD-1?) v. Marantz(DV-8400?) on sa-cd?

Jan 30, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #14 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by Large4mat
Impressions on the Ray Samuels Raptor and HeadRoom Coda/Overture please!!!!!!!!!!

Raptor?? What's that? I guess I've been away too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back