Chi Unify 9 when and where?
May 3, 2015 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

buson160man

1000+ Head-Fier
 I have not seen any postings for the chi unify 9 meet in Chicago. I am hoping to attend this year after missing last years show. I would appreciate any information regarding this years show. I am starting the ball rolling . The show is usually in june isn't it?
That is only a month away.

May 3, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 35
   I have not seen any postings for the chi unify 9 meet in Chicago. I am hoping to attend this year after missing last years show. I would appreciate any information regarding this years show. I am starting the ball rolling . The show is usually in june isn't it?
That is only a month away.

It has not been scheduled yet.

I am trying to determine how to fund it this year as the costs have doubled and with the increase size of the Ear Gear Expo at the Chicago Axpona last weekend, it takes away a lot of the support we've had in the past.  

The other issue has been attendance being up and down so much.  If we could get 60 plus, it makes the support more interesting to a vendor versus 30 individual.  As an example, at Axpona last weekend, Brian Hunter arranged for a room for a meet but it was a very very small meet.

If anyone has contacts and ideas to make this work, I am open but for now I am struggling to pull the meet together.

May 3, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 35
I don't think there are any problems with going downtown for the meet.  Sure, its a hell of a lot less convenient for some, myself included, but if the proper size space is being donated, then we should take it.  Yes, there are a lot more costs connected with this as well.  Parking being a big one.  But if we our choices are limited....

I also think we should charge a small fee for attending.  nothing much, 5, maybe 10 bucks.  if we won't be having as many sponsors, we need to build our budget for future locations.  We can't always depend on the kindness of our vendors.

I'm going to drop a quick note to the girl I was working with at the Westin.  maybe she would be willing to do something.  assuming she is there at all outside axpona.
K

May 3, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 35
A admission fee is fine for me. The cost for a sizeable room is not inexpensive I am sure. I sure hope someone can work something out. May be there  could be tickets sold in advance for the show that would hopefully guarantee at least some measure of attendance. Just a thought . I would hope that the headphiles in the Chicago area would step up to the plate to insure the continuation of the chi unify meets. I am just waxing some ideas or thoughts on the subject.
  Where else can you get the opportunity to see some of the things that you read about on the head fi site. It is just a pity that there are very few stores if any that support the headphone community specifically with a large selection of different headphones and headphone amps .

May 22, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #9 of 35
I know I was really looking forward to attending this yes. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

I know that there is a long time audio enthusiast store in Evanston that might be interested in this stuff. I do believe it is called "Audio Essentials". Don't know how big they are but if they are interested in sponsoring, Evanston would be a decent location.

May 22, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #10 of 35
I know I was really looking forward to attending this yes. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

I know that there is a long time audio enthusiast store in Evanston that might be interested in this stuff. I do believe it is called "Audio Essentials". Don't know how big they are but if they are interested in sponsoring, Evanston would be a decent location.

If you would like to contact them and ask about it, that would be great.  I only know of audio consultants in evanston.  and I don't believe they would have the space or be interested.

May 22, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 35
I talk with one at Axpona and did not feel they were yet interested. I have not asked Brian at Essential Audio who was at last year's event. Arnold would consider if at his location downtown.

May 22, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #12 of 35
What about College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn? I'm just blue-skying.

Or maybe Elmhurst College: they have a large music program and might be favorable to us.

May 31, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #14 of 35
I really want this meet to happen. Audio Addict, have you found a way to fund it yet or has that place downtown been confirmed?

If neither of those, I can cold call some car dealerships near the hotel where we had it last year and see if they'd be interested in paying for the room. I can be pretty convincing.

May 31, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #15 of 35
Arnold Martinez of Tweak Studio is a possible source for the downtown Chicago but I have not confirmed anything with him.

Last year Brian from Essential Audio was at the meet but I have not asked him about considering hosting. I think the goal is to try and stay independent from a dealer. It would not be ChiUniFi if hosted by a dealer.

I talked with one vendor about a small fee rather than donating raffle prizes and they were open but we would need at least 4 at $200 or 5 if we tried to keep it lower. Could we get 5 vendors, I am not sure.

Is there enough people willing to put in deposits to cover potential shortages?

I would be willing to put in up to $200 for a possible shortage.

If we do not want to stay independent, let me know and I can see about Tweak Studio or Essential AudiO or other places if someone has contacts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back