Chesky CDs for $12.99 at Buy.com!!
Aug 10, 2001 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

grrr223

All I want for Christmas is Radio Shack Cat.#910-4380
So, I was sitting here listening to THE ULTIMATE DEMONSTRATION DISC: Chesky Records' Guide to Critical Listening and I decided that I would like to own some of the CDs that the tracks are taken from, so I went to Chesky's Site and all their CDs are $16.99, not outrageous considering the state of today's music industry, but too rich for my wallet at the moment.

So I went to good old Half.com where I have had much success in the past. Most of these CDs are $15.99, a little better, but still not great. So I click on one, and in the upper right hand corner is a little window listing their competitor's prices on whichever CD you are looking at. It lists the price at Buy.com as $12.99, so I go there, and they have almost every Chesky CD at $12.99.

I love the internet. That's what I'd pay at Circuit City (which generally has good CD prices) for a cheap recording of classical music that I could also probalby find at a grocery store. Instead I can get audiophile quality recordings of incredible musicians.

Anyway, you can find the deals here at:
$12.99 Chesky CDs

I highly recommend this disc and Chesky Records in general to anyone interested in Jazz, Classical, or any World Music.

Aug 10, 2001 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 11
I, however, would not recommend Chesky Records too much. I once bought a "gold" CD, Fritz Reiner conducting the Royal Philharmonic playing Brahms' Concerto No.4, and I was not to pleased with the CD. Perhaps the music just isn't too good, or the performance, but in any case, I didn't think it was a good way to spend $20. All I got was a different color on my CD and a cardboard box in which to put the jewel case!

I strongly suspect Chesky -- it seems all they care about is "audiophile" sound quality without having much musical taste for good music or good performances.

Secondly, buy.com is one of the worst places to do business online. Aside from the likelihood that they will go out of business soon, their goods often come in poor condition. I once ordered the DVD Seven from them. When it arrived, it was too badly scratched to play from start to finish. I had to send it back for a replacement. I waited three weeks -- I finally e-mailed them and said it simply wouldn't do. So a week later I got a refund of my money. All's well that ends well, but I'd rather not have to go through the bad beginning. Perhaps you should avoid it too!

Another thing about buy.com is that they have eliminated over-the-phone customer support. While e-mail support is sometimes adequate, it's usually faster and more precise when using the phone. But whatever. It's your choice!

Aug 10, 2001 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 11
I don't know anything about gold CDs, but every selection on this disc is excellent music, most of which I have never been exposed to, a lot of Jazz and it's all recorded very well. So if these tracks are any indication, they ahve at least 15 good CDs.

As for Buy.com, unfortunately, after recommending them for being cheap, I have not had a good experience with them, now that you mention it DanG. I originally purchased my HD580s from them, because they were the only place that said they were instock, well, after they got my credit card info they decided to tell me that they weren't in stock anymore, and after waiting for two weeks, I just ended up getting the HD600s from Jan Meier so like you said, all's well that ends well.

So I guess take the price with the hassles. I bought the Ultimate Demonstration Disc from Chesky's website and that came very quickly with e-mails telling me about every step of the order, and it's packaging could have survived being hit by a truck, so maybe it's worth the extra few bucks, although I think I'm goign ot try Buy.com, they do at least have a good return policy, and it's easy to cancel anythign that's taking a long time to ship.

Aug 10, 2001 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

DanG said...

Secondly, buy.com is one of the worst places to do business online.

Ah, Dan beat me to the punch! Yeah, Buy.com has not had a good track record recently, and has been having financial difficulties. I'd recommend Amazon.com over Buy.com anyday.

Aug 10, 2001 at 9:29 PM Post #8 of 11
I haven't had any problems with buy.com. Amazon.com has always been very slow to send my orders. I usually have to wait at least 3 weeks for them to ship my order to me. I just checked on a recent order I put in on August 1 and their online customer service has it listed as will ship between August 15-20.
mad.gif

Aug 11, 2001 at 12:22 AM Post #10 of 11
LOL, I love how we all have such different views on online retailers. I've done tons of business with Buy.com and Amazon, problem-free, while I wouldn't wish CDNow on my worst enemy. They've screwed me over several times (it took three before I was smart enough to figure it out
wink.gif
). I had to contest two orders with my credit card company before they would fix them. The absolute worst customer service I have ever dealt with online.

Aug 13, 2001 at 1:49 PM Post #11 of 11
Ha ha, I had great service from CDNow.com, my CDs arrived quickly and safely. I would like to start a poll to see which is better: Amazon.com, Buy.com, CDNow.com, but what other online retailers are there that I should include? I think I'd also include Half.com, but not e-bay. Any suggestions?

Is anyone else getting more than 2 CDs listed when you click on the Chesky Jazz link that KR gave us?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back