Chernobyl - ~20years later
Mar 31, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 16
yeah somebody posted this a while back on the take it outside forum .... still fascinating nevertheless...

Mar 31, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 16
Kinda funny, an associate of mine just sent me that link yesterday. Kinda reminds me of a site called Dark Passage, which basically is pictoral tours of dilapidated mental institutes, underground railways, etc.

Mar 31, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 16
Scary stuff..

My wife is from a villiage outside Lviv (right on the border of Poland, to the south-west of Chernobyl.. They didn't hear sweet ***** all about any of what was going on until weeks after, and even then it was "there's a slight problem with one of the reactors...no danger, though.."
very_evil_smiley.gif

Contrary to populat belief, Ukraine got very little exposure to the radiation.. If you look on a map, Chernobyl's right on the border of Belorussia, and the winds carried 95% of the radiation north-west..

FYI, Chernobyl's in Ukraine, not Russia.. Don't know if the woman is from Russia, though..

Mar 31, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by xtreme4099
yeah somebody posted this a while back on the take it outside forum .... still fascinating nevertheless...

She's really added a lot of pictures since that time. Don't know if I'd have the guts to go in and take them!
eek.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #8 of 16
Got to the end of the photos.. Yikes..

She's from Kiev, Ukraine, BTW..

Some 120 km directly south of Chernobyl..

My wife's villiage is approx 450km to the south-west..

Again, a very small percentage of the fall out fell on Ukraine, and that which did was in the north..

But everybody still peels their vegtables..
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 7:46 AM Post #10 of 16
Finally the site is back so I could browse it. Very impressive. I guess she used a digital camera, otherwise there would be an image degratation if the films would be exposed to a such radiation.

BTW the calender in the chapter 21 the calender in the chapter 21 is weird, it has 6 days per week only, Sundays are missing.

Mar 31, 2004 at 7:51 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Permonic
Finally the site is back so I could browse it. Very impressive. I guess she used a digital camera, otherwise there would be an image degratation if the films would be exposed to a such radiation.

BTW the calender in the chapter 21 the calender in the chapter 21 is weird, it has 6 days per week only, Sundays are missing.

The site is much better than it was. I love studying it. So mcuh there. But, I did not notice that calender. That is so strange, why would it be like that?

Mar 31, 2004 at 8:17 AM Post #12 of 16
Just a guess but...

Sunday is GOD's day. Calendars are used for planning activities or events. You don't plan things for GOD's day, and the things you do on that day shouldn't require planning because you do the same things EVERY Sunday (go to church, eat a nice meal with the family, relax at home). Therefore calendars don't need Sundays. QED
biggrin.gif
Ok, maybe not, but it's the best I could come up with at the moment.

PS: Not that I personally agree with that version of the purpose of Sundays, but my grandparents would, and fundie Christians would, so it's a possibility.

Mar 31, 2004 at 8:19 AM Post #13 of 16
Well, it has all the days on the week on it except for sunday. I am guessing that the kids were in school all these days. It is also arranged a little weirdly -- from left to right are the days in that month that are that day of the week. For example, in Ÿíâàðü -- January, the ?? means ponedel'nik, or monday. Mondays are on the 6th, 13th, 20th, and 27th. Anyway, that is what I expect it is.

Edit: Elec -- God would not have been an issue in Ukraine SSR -- there is a reason that we called them godless commie bas**rds right? (Note, this is totally a joke -- I love the Ukraine, but nevertheless, the point was true, there was no place for religious calenders in Communist Ukraine...)

Mar 31, 2004 at 8:49 AM Post #14 of 16
Downright spooky site... sweet pictures too.

Mar 31, 2004 at 9:20 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
Well, it has all the days on the week on it except for sunday. I am guessing that the kids were in school all these days. It is also arranged a little weirdly -- from left to right are the days in that month that are that day of the week. For example, in Ÿíâàðü -- January, the ?? means ponedel'nik, or monday. Mondays are on the 6th, 13th, 20th, and 27th. Anyway, that is what I expect it is.

Edit: Elec -- God would not have been an issue in Ukraine SSR -- there is a reason that we called them godless commie bas**rds right? (Note, this is totally a joke -- I love the Ukraine, but nevertheless, the point was true, there was no place for religious calenders in Communist Ukraine...)

That thought had occurred to me, that religion was not a likely motivator in that place and time
smily_headphones1.gif
Hopefully you could tell my suggestion was not entirely serious, but I couldn't come up with another reason that Sunday would be conspicuously absent from the calendar. I DID consider the school idea before the religion idea, but the captions suggest the calendar is in some guy's house, and not the school, so I'm not sure why he would have a calendar that indicated days school was in session. The obvious conclusion is that it was not important or prudent to put Sunday on a calendar. The problem is figuring out why that was so
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back