Checking out this $75.00 SET kit on the 'bay!
May 8, 2011 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

IBMprest

New Head-Fier
May 8, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #2 of 12
Wow, this looks awful. I wouldn't plug a headphone in this for sure. 10W for what? Usually headphones can tolerate only 1-2 Watts of power but say good by to Your hearing way before that.

"The design is very nice, about 5 watts/channel, noise so low I couldn't hear hum unless I was <1 foot from speaker"
The seller mentions no headphones here either.

"You can ask 2 questions by email after you buy if you get stuck assembling it, but its as-is otherwise."
So You need very good grammar abilities to ask Your question because they wont answer You after the second question - mark? ??? :-D

May 8, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
Wow, this looks awful. I wouldn't plug a headphone in this for sure. 10W for what? Usually headphones can tolerate only 1-2 Watts of power but say good by to Your hearing way before that.

Just because you have one million watts on tap dosnt mean you have to (or ever will) use it. 

On that note, I would also run quickly in a direction away from this. 
For $75 there is no way on earth you are getting enough power supply filtration for headphones. 
"I can only hear it from 1M away" yea, with what kind of sensativity? Magneplanars? electrostatics? Some old 82db/W speakers? Thanks to the auctioneer for telling us nothing. With headphones you will get nothing but hum.

May 8, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 12
Yes, it's true the first couple'a watts are the sweetest and we might be reasonably sure the hum was from full power.  I actually wouldn't mind upgrading the power supply at this price but I can't find much 411 about the 13DR7  drivers.  Must be a pretty cheap tube...

May 8, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
Yes, it's true the first couple'a watts are the sweetest and we might be reasonably sure the hum was from full power.  I actually wouldn't mind upgrading the power supply at this price but I can't find much 411 about the 13DR7  drivers.  Must be a pretty cheap tube...

Duncans amps FTMFW

Its a dual dis-similar noval tube designed for some part of a TV set or another. I found prices from $3.50 to 6, for the 6V version with a QUICK search, you may be able to do better.

May 9, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 12

has anyone made one of these guys? i snagged this kit from ebay thinking it would come with step by step directions. has anyone bought one of these ebay kits from china? 

i'm a straight up noob, but i thought this would be a decent project for my first diy amp. 

any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

May 9, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 12
Brother there's 247 different Chinese auctions listed there.

May 11, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #9 of 12
Is it supposed to be an amplifier?  It looks more like a headphone adapter.

May 13, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #12 of 12
You da man Mr. Huxley!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back