Check out my new RS-1n!!! (pics)
Feb 28, 2006 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

doobooloo

Headphoneus Supremus
RS-1n: "n" for new, "n" for nude.
wink.gif

So, this is really the second part of my crazy RS-1 mods. The past threads regarding all my RS-1 mods are as follows:

doobooloo's RS-1 mod, part 1: wood facelift (pics)
My modded RS-1 is absolutely astounding!!!
Modding my RS-1s... Suggestions?
Modded Alessandro MS-Pros

Anyway, before I go onto the pictures... the two new things are:

1. Re-sanded and chamfered (rounded edges though, forgot the term for rounded...
tongue.gif
) wooden cups. I have not yet applied the tung oil finish yet, will be doing that soon.

2. Removed the plastic cover piece fron the driver, put in a removable stainless steel wire mesh for protection instead.

Now, pics...

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

Here are some pics of the MS-Pro that I owned and modded about a year ago that was the inspiration for this RS-1 mod:

DSC_2891.jpg

DSC_2893.jpg

DSC_2896.jpg

DSC_2899.jpg

DSC_2901.jpg

So, the big question: how does removing the plastic covering from the driver affect the sound?

Well, I was quite blown away with the MS-Pros last year, and this year I am quite pleasantly surprised as well. Removing the piece really opens up the sound, literally removes a layer of "veil" - sound becomes much more three-dimensional, and resolution takes a whole new meaning. Micro-detail that wasn't really perceivable before now is presented with unbelievable clarity. This effect seems to be much more pronounced with RS-1s (better high end to begin with than MS-Pros) and with flat pads.

The flats have gained some amount of air and high end of the bowls. The sound signature of bowls haven't changed much, but the openness is now much greater. With either pad, I can literally sense that a layer has been removed between the cans and my brain - the first thing that came to my mind when I put these on were the ER-4S, in terms of frequency response (slightly boosted mids and highs relative to before) and tremendous resolution that I've never encountered before from ANY dynamic headphone. Of course I haven't tried the multi-grand headphones and electrostats, but this new RS-1n is really, really revealing of every little detail. Quite amazing, really. Of course, this by itself isn't always so positive - crappy recordings and badly compressed music really now sound... bad.

Anyway, I'm going to go back to some more listening, I'm really tired as hell right now so maybe I'll go to sleep instead. Enjoy the pics, let me know what you all think!
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #4 of 46
you put grates on the inside of the pad? doesn't that metal make the waves bounce around in there? and the metal doesn't touch your ears? and it does no good keepinh dust and hair out right? the only plus i see to it is to keep an entire fleshy earlobe away from the driver - in which case, your ear is being grilled...oi!

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
you put grates on the inside of the pad? doesn't that metal make the waves bounce around in there? and the metal doesn't touch your ears? and it does no good keepinh dust and hair out right? the only plus i see to it is to keep an entire fleshy earlobe away from the driver - in which case, your ear is being grilled...oi!

Actually, one of the earlier studies of acoustics I remember found that metal wire grilles allowed for much better and unimpeded airflow compared to solid plates with punched holes. So, not quite sure what you mean by "waves bouncing around in there" but if I understand correctly that has been reduced by a significant factor compared to what was before.
wink.gif

Also, the metal doesn't really touch my ears. I have large ears.
biggrin.gif
And, when I move it so that it does, the touch isn't bad, it's just wire mesh, unless your ear is really pressing against it hard it doesn't really feel like anything.

No good keeping dust and hair out, but - before, if dust and hair get in, there wsa no way of getting them out. Now, just pop out the pads, and give a few soft air blows with a blower (such as lens dusting bulb) once in a while and you're good to go.
biggrin.gif
I'd be more annoyed if a piece of hair got in and caused the grattle and I had no way to take it out.
frown.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #7 of 46
Wow... I Dont think I would do that to mine.... I cant afford a screw-up
biggrin.gif

What holds the driver in place in this pic...

IMG_0823.jpg

Is there hot melt glue behind the driver?

Garrett

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Wow... I Dont think I would do that to mine.... I cant afford a screw-up
biggrin.gif

What holds the driver in place in this pic...

IMG_0823.jpg

Is there hot melt glue behind the driver?

Garrett

Nope, it's really just sitting there, not-so-tightly held by the wooden chamber. When I want to take it out a few maneuvers with my fingernails would pull it out.
wink.gif

Before I had a small piece of soft plastic (actually the tip of a cable tie) wedged between the chamber and the driver. This worked really well, until I dropped the small piece on my carpet and lost it, and I am too lazy to cut another small piece since it'll take a whopping 5 seconds.
tongue.gif

Sonically not ideal (issues with vibration/damping) but it sounds good enough as is and I love the convenience!
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
Nope, it's really just sitting there, not-so-tightly held by the wooden chamber. When I want to take it out a few maneuvers with my fingernails would pull it out.
wink.gif

Before I had a small piece of soft plastic (actually the tip of a cable tie) wedged between the chamber and the driver. This worked really well, until I dropped the small piece on my carpet and lost it, and I am too lazy to cut another small piece since it'll take a whopping 5 seconds.
tongue.gif

Sonically not ideal (issues with vibration/damping) but it sounds good enough as is and I love the convenience!
biggrin.gif

eek.gif
You are either very brave, or very wealthy.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #12 of 46
you mean a plate with holes was there before? ah well it makes sense then than a grille isn't so bad. if the driver is there just by tension, doesn't that cause eventual ratting around by a non-mounted driver?

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon.
I wonder if that would help with any grado. It certainly looks neat.

Probably would! You wanna give it a try?
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
you mean a plate with holes was there before? ah well it makes sense then than a grille isn't so bad. if the driver is there just by tension, doesn't that cause eventual ratting around by a non-mounted driver?

I mean, the plastic piece I removed from the driver was literally a thick plate with holes... Not sure though since this is small scale and the holes are relatively large compared to driver diameter.

Anyway, driver is held by friction, it's not rattling now but if it does I can just wedge a small soft piece of plastic (piece from cable tie) between the driver and the housing.
tongue.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerb
were did you get the mesh (not the mesh by the ear but on the outside, looks like a microphone mesh) for your MS-Pro's

That's the stock black mesh, but the crappy black paint that rubs off way too easily has just been wiped off with q-tips and rubbing alcohol. I personaly like the raw look much better.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back