Check out my new RS-1n!!! (pics)
Mar 2, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #31 of 46
I don't know if this has already been said, but the term for rounding edges is "filleting"

Mar 2, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by solbergg
I don't know if this has already been said, but the term for rounding edges is "filleting"

Aah! Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by boss
Holy mac. Not only are these a beautiful set of cans, the pictures are incredible. May I ask which camera you used?

Thanks for your kind words! For the RS-1n pics, I used a Canon SD450 in macro mode. For the Alessandro shots, I used the Nikon D70 + 50mm f/1.8. For the Alessy shots I should have used a tripod and smaller aperture for deeper DOF but I was too lazy so I just shot handheld open wide to get enough shutter speed indoors.

My more serious (haha, serious at least for me) photography has gone from digital to film...
tongue.gif
Love the feel of classic manual cameras like the Pentax K1000 and the Nikon FM series and the results of good slide film, not to mention them being nicer on the poor wallet. Once I start working I'll probably get the Canon 5D or something.

Mar 2, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #35 of 46
what kind of mesh is that? it is quite similar to the stuff Grado supplies.

Mar 2, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #36 of 46
Hey I found out what that perforated cap was! From John's interview with Stereophile-

"We fine-tuned the driver," he responded. "We paint a formula on them to control resonance—we call it 'de-stressing'; in the RS1, we do it twice, and very, very precisely. We damp the chassis behind the magnet cover. We also put a perforated cap on the driver, which tunes it further. I don't really like the word 'tweak,' but every component of the RS1 is very carefully chosen and very precisely adjusted—by ear, of course. We design by listening, so these 'phones are a reflection of what we like, of what we hear."

Mar 2, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
what kind of mesh is that? it is quite similar to the stuff Grado supplies.

Standard stuff from McMaster. It has approx. the same number of weaves/inch but the wires are thinner, so the open area % is very high. A bit easier to cut out too, and rather flexible.

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Hey I found out what that perforated cap was! From John's interview with Stereophile-

"We fine-tuned the driver," he responded. "We paint a formula on them to control resonance—we call it 'de-stressing'; in the RS1, we do it twice, and very, very precisely. We damp the chassis behind the magnet cover. We also put a perforated cap on the driver, which tunes it further. I don't really like the word 'tweak,' but every component of the RS1 is very carefully chosen and very precisely adjusted—by ear, of course. We design by listening, so these 'phones are a reflection of what we like, of what we hear."

Nice find, Jahn!

What I don't understand is, how is the "perforated cap" on the driver a tweak for the RS-1 if all Grado drivers share the same plastic housing? It's also not like the "perforated cap" was an optional item anyway, there had to be some sort of protection for the bare drivers... Maybe the "perforated cap" refers to something else...? Perhaps John is referring to the felt material on the rear of the driver, covering the rear vent holes that is also adding to driver control/damping?

Anyway, the de-stressing part is interesting, didn't think that it would be some sort of formula painted on the diaphragms...
tongue.gif
I was thinking something more mechanical. Hehe.

Mar 2, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #39 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
"We damp the chassis behind the magnet cover."

I'm guessing he is referring to the black "goop" that is visible on the back of the transducers of the RS-1/MS-Pro.

Mar 2, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69
I'm guessing he is referring to the black "goop" that is visible on the back of the transducers of the RS-1/MS-Pro.

Yup. That goop is a very interesting material, I've played around with it - it is like clay but also it is subtley liquid-like (what was this called? like starch?)...

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
Nice find, Jahn!

What I don't understand is, how is the "perforated cap" on the driver a tweak for the RS-1 if all Grado drivers share the same plastic housing? It's also not like the "perforated cap" was an optional item anyway, there had to be some sort of protection for the bare drivers... Maybe the "perforated cap" refers to something else...? Perhaps John is referring to the felt material on the rear of the driver, covering the rear vent holes that is also adding to driver control/damping?

Anyway, the de-stressing part is interesting, didn't think that it would be some sort of formula painted on the diaphragms...
tongue.gif
I was thinking something more mechanical. Hehe.

Ya I was wondering the same thing after I read the article last night (www.stereophile.com). I posted a thread with a link to the article, hoping others would read it. I didn't understand how he could really call that thing a tweak. What Grado has EVER not had it? NON! Well I guess they are all "tweaked" then...even the lowly SR-60....wait I can't confirm about the SR-40, never seen one without the foam.

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Excellent job on the wood finish. THe more subtle lettering is an improvement, IMO.

Not too crazy about the mesh on the inside, I guess it's because I'm a bowl man, and that would not feel good.

-Ed

its not much diferent feeling on the ears than the stock white mesh over hard plastic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
So how exactly did you go about cuting the protective plate off the front of the driver? I'm thinking of doing some mods myself just for the fun of it.

dremel.

my sr-125's fell tot he dremel tool the other night....

sound is outstanding.

the inside of the "plate" was particularly intersting to me, i assumed it would be flat....

Mar 15, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #45 of 46
If you used bowls then you could cover the mesh with some thin foam from a spare earpad like this:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=169013

That would provide some protection from debris and comfort increase. Maybe there is a way to do something similar with the flats? Or use a thin pad that would cover the whole cup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back