Check out my food blog...
Sep 7, 2009 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Mrvile

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey everyone!

I've been pretty quiet for a while but I'm still alive. Anyway, this past summer I decided to stay at school to hang out and get some paid hours. With school not actually being in session, I've found a lot of time to explore some other prospective interests that don't directly involve the art that I'm obliged to during the school year. One of the main ones has been cooking...I don't really know where it started, but over the past three months or so I've been cooking a lot (I don't have a meal plan for the summer so I have to fend for myself somehow), which has proven to be surprisingly fun. I have never really cooked before, but instead of following recipes and mechanizing the process, I've taken into the Chinese approach, which is basically throwing things into a pan based on intuition and cooking "to taste." Things have turned out well, but not without a hearty collection of messups. Over the past several months, I've learned a great deal, had a lot of fun, and have considered starting a blog documenting the things I make. I eventually started the blog mid-August, after I had straightened out some things, but when it comes to cooking, the possibilities are endless.

Check it out: food for marissa (marissa is my gf)

Who else around here likes to cook?

Sep 7, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #2 of 12
Wow, the tilapia and zucchini look really good. I haven't cooked in a long time because there's no real motivation, but when I get around to it, it's really fun. I'm living in a dorm so there's no more real opportunities to cook.

Sep 7, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 12
I cook daily (my wife cannot cook
biggrin.gif
). Your photos look great, but could do with some basic adjustments, such as an increase in saturation and perhaps a bit of contrast. I'd love to eat your food sometime
smily_headphones1.gif

A piece of advice to anyone who loves to cook: no matter what you do, no matter how much you love to cook, do not under any circumstance even consider a career as a cook!!!

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cook daily (my wife cannot cook
biggrin.gif
). Your photos look great, but could do with some basic adjustments, such as an increase in saturation and perhaps a bit of contrast. I'd love to eat your food sometime
smily_headphones1.gif

A piece of advice to anyone who loves to cook: no matter what you do, no matter how much you love to cook, do not under any circumstance even consider a career as a cook!!!

Hey thanks! Actually I do edit my photos quite extensively, but unfortunately Blogspot kills some of it when I upload my photos to the blog as a result of the file compression. The photos actually look much better on my computer
frown.gif

Also, I've met a couple of people who cook professionally, and between them and what I see on Food Network, I know being a chef is absolutely not for me
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikaronni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, the tilapia and zucchini look really good. I haven't cooked in a long time because there's no real motivation, but when I get around to it, it's really fun. I'm living in a dorm so there's no more real opportunities to cook.

Actually the string beans ended up pairing better with the tilapia, but of course, that's just IMO, and when it comes to food, who cares?

Our freshman year at school we didn't have kitchens or anything in the dorms so no one made anything more than ramen. Sophomore year we had kitchens in the dorms, but no one really had time to cook. Now we have our own apartment, the summer ended up being the perfect oppotunity to go all out and really take advantage of the kitchen. The biggest challenge is keeping it clean...we have a rather impressive collection of pests from fruit flies to pantry moths to mice. Unfortunately, once the school year starts again, priorities will shift and the kitchen will probably see abandon.

Sep 9, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you asian?

lol yes I am.

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol yes I am.

Cause the food looks similar to what my mom makes. Very delicious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back