Cheapest way to dampen a source?
Apr 16, 2004 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

tennisets

1000+ Head-Fier
I've got a cheapie Toshiba SD-3960, and I've read that vibration dampening will improve the sound somewhat (standard dampening is nil, nada , just dinky, tiny little rubber feet. Anyway, I would just like a cheap way to dampen a cheap source. Thanks for any suggestions!

Apr 16, 2004 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 29
Apr 16, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #3 of 29
You can buy automotive bitumen damping sheets for about $5. If you put them on the inside cover of the dvd player it will dampen vibrations significantly. I beleive parts express still sells the stuff. I have used it on a number of components.

Apr 16, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 29
Dynamat applied under the top cover of the CDP works fine with me. If you want to change the feet, a used set of vibrapods will cost less than $20.

If you want a really dirt cheap mod for vibrations, I have seen people put a pocket book on top of their player & halved tennis/raquet balls at the feet.

Apr 16, 2004 at 3:15 AM Post #5 of 29
I went and bought a large concrete slab for $4, wrapped it in a towel and put it under my Meridian. I noticed no difference but it doesn't hurt.

Apr 16, 2004 at 6:14 AM Post #6 of 29
I once used some of that rubber shelf liner that looks like heavy rubber screen. On top of that I put some auto insulation then an old MDF cabinet door on that with the player setting on that. I ended up using two layers of the auto insulation. It actually worked quite well. It also damped the dresser well enough that the speakers didn't make it resonate. That wasn't the intended purpose. I only figured that out after I moved the player to another place and left the speakers where they were.
rolleyes.gif

Everything I used was left over stuff, so I figure the cost was nothing.

Apr 16, 2004 at 8:35 AM Post #10 of 29
With a super light player it is not enough just to try and dampen it. Try a combo of added weight on top, dampening material inside, and some form of cheap footers like the BDR Mk IV cones. At under $16 each they are supposed to be quite good.

Apr 16, 2004 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 29
For vibration isolation, I use foam manicure blocks sold in the nail care section at Walgreen's. I cut two in half for four cubes. Each block costs something like $2. Works extremely well.

Bubble wrap rolled into logs does vibration isolation very well, too, but does deflate over time and looks pretty crummy. I've also heard that pumice blocks work well.

I've tried Dynamat for damping. One word of advice: Use it very, very sparingly. Start with a one-inch wide strip on top of the CDP. It's easy to overdo damping.

Jeffery

Apr 16, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #13 of 29
Ashtray sand in SEALED baggies on top. Any of the above feet ideas to go along with the weight on top.

Apr 16, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
If you really want better sound, sell it and get a better source.

Just out of curiousity, have you heard one? If not, you might want to reconsider this type of post, which makes you look like some sort of jerk.
rolleyes.gif

I've got one. It's surprisingly good. Easily beats out my Rotel 955AX, which is an older player but still decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back