Cheapest planar magnetic headphones?
Dec 9, 2013 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

nugget2013

100+ Head-Fier
i don't know what the cheapest pair are i want them because they sound so good and high end but really what's the difference between planar magnetic drivers and normal drivers in headphones such as the sennheiser momentum hd 650 and the v-moda m100?

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #2 of 13
This will probably get moved to intro section of full-sized headphone section, but I'll break it down for you real fast.

Here's a great article to read up on. http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/how-planar-magnetic-headphones-work

Some of the cheapest (recently made) good planar magnetics on the market right now are the Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs, Hifiman HE-400.  The Mad Dogs are a mod of the 99 dollar T50rp.

As far as general sound differences between planar magnetics and dynamics, planar magnetics in general seem to have very low extending bass that has very low thd at the same time.  They also excel in transient response, and all seem to have a natural, smooth decay to them in contrast to dynamics, which at times can seem unnaturally damped or drastically slow.  I think this leads to the general consensus on the planar magnetic midrange sounding liquidy compared to dynamics.

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 13
  This will probably get moved to intro section of full-sized headphone section, but I'll break it down for you real fast.

Here's a great article to read up on. http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/how-planar-magnetic-headphones-work

Some of the cheapest (recently made) good planar magnetics on the market right now are the Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs, Hifiman HE-400.  The Mad Dogs are a mod of the 99 dollar T50rp.

As far as general sound differences between planar magnetics and dynamics, planar magnetics in general seem to have very low extending bass that has very low thd at the same time.  They also excel in transient response, and all seem to have a natural, smooth decay to them in contrast to dynamics, which at times can seem unnaturally damped or drastically slow.  I think this leads to the general consensus on the planar magnetic midrange sounding liquidy compared to dynamics.

Very good explanation and spot on!

I would add that the OP might want to stay away from the box-stock Fostex T50rp.  Even though it's $99 in places, the un-modded T50rp is extremely under-whelming, even disappointing, perhaps.

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 13

I would add that the OP might want to stay away from the box-stock Fostex T50rp.  Even though it's $99 in places, the un-modded T50rp is extremely under-whelming, even disappointing, perhaps.

actually. if i bought the fiio e09k desktop amplifier and paired it with the e17 amp/dac would it be good enough to drive the mad dogs? or is the £313 best spent on another phone that i can use with my already owned e17?

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #9 of 13
The cheapest one in production is T20RP MkII. Supposedly, it's the same as T50RP but with a very slightly different housing.

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 13

They are not that bad in my opinion, they just have a flat response. Sounds well with the right gear

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 13
I am not entirely sure if this is true but I was once told that planar's are more durable (the driver that is) then a standard dynamic.  So apart from sound sig that is one potential benefit of planar's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back