Cheapest and best Counter Strike Headphones
Dec 25, 2003 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Newbie1

100+ Head-Fier
Which headphones would you guys recommend for positioning in Counter Strike? Are the Sony MDR-300s any good? Im looking for the cheapest ones that have good positioning.

Dec 25, 2003 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 27
Well, I'm a counter-strike player so I can help more specifically. Will they need a mic attached? Will they be used for LAN gaming (need to hear you teammates) or online (usualy need mic and closed headphones) ? I'll do my best to help. Reply coming later tommorow.

Dec 25, 2003 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 27
I want the kind of headphones that allow you to directly pinpoint where the enemy is, especially when they are behind a wall. Headphones that allow you to hear every little sound, like footsteps, reloading of clips, everything like that. Price is a major issue for me, becuase I live in a small Canadian town, and all the prices on headphones are inflated. Two examples are the Koss Ur-29s which I bought for 60 with tax and the Sennheiser Mx400s which I bought for 30 with tax. Sucks to be me doesnt it?
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Dec 25, 2003 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 27
The Beyer 250-80s are the best positioning headphones ive ever used. (IMO they best anything from senn for gaming) And I own them solely for gaming. (CS, DoD, Battlefield, CoD)

HOWEVER

Many people dont like using closed cans for gaming because they want to be able to talk to people at the same time.

If you need to hear background noise while playing, go with the Senn HD-570 or 590s (590s if these are being used for music as well)

Good Luck

Dec 25, 2003 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by EyEPoD
The Beyer 250-80s are the best positioning headphones ive ever used. (IMO they best anything from senn for gaming) And I own them solely for gaming. (CS, DoD, Battlefield, CoD)

HOWEVER

Many people dont like using closed cans for gaming because they want to be able to talk to people at the same time.

If you need to hear background noise while playing, go with the Senn HD-570 or 590s (590s if these are being used for music as well)

Good Luck

Can you elaborate on that a little bit. What kind of things did you hear that made you think they were so good. Especially in cs, were you able to wall shoot lots of people based solely on the sound? I also hear some people saying that when they upgraded to better headphones, they heard sounds they had previously never heard. Is this true?

Dec 25, 2003 at 2:55 AM Post #6 of 27
You'll probably want really good positioning 'phones...in which case you should pick up a pair of Sony MDR-V6/7506 with the Beyer mod....they have really awesome positioning and lots of bass
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2003 at 2:57 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Newbie1
Can you elaborate on that a little bit. What kind of things did you hear that made you think they were so good. Especially in cs, were you able to wall shoot lots of people based solely on the sound? I also hear some people saying that when they upgraded to better headphones, they heard sounds they had previously never heard. Is this true?

There is a limit to how much more you can hear with better headphones. Beyond that, it's dependant on the HRTF's of your soundcard & the API used.
I'd not count too much on EAX (HD) for headphones/ 2pt. setups. Compared to A3D from back then, the performance for stereo sources is abysmal to say the least.

Dec 25, 2003 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 27
I can literally play the game with just the headphones.

Its amazing how quickly people will accuse you of cheating when you add good headphones to the arsenal.

When compared to crap phones...

I yoinked some CD170s from my roomate (holy god these blow).
The sound is either coming from the right of you or the left of you. There is no depth or sense of surround.

However when I use the beyers, I can honestly tell exactly where the sound is coming from. Its quite amazing. The beyers are closed cans, though, so you will be quite isolated while playing. My team has preferred this for a while, so I see no reason to go back to open cans.

When comparing these to the Senn HD570s (which many consider the best gaming phones), The positioning is just about equal to that of the beyers, but it drags in so many other areas. The 570s dont have the punch or bass accuracy of the beyers in gaming. I appreciate accurate sounds while gaming along with good positioning, and I think it really adds to the experience.

Senn 590s are a step up from the 570s IMO, but I just cant get used to playing seriously with open cans. I dont play cs at lan parties, and most communication is done through the game or via mic's if necessary.

Dec 25, 2003 at 5:47 AM Post #11 of 27
Hmmm the Beyers are sounding pretty good right now, but do you think that maybe you could recommend any other headphones with the same sort of sound, but for a little less price? Headroom has them for $170 US and that means its probably gonna end up more than $200 CND. My parents arent going to be to happy with me spending that much on a pair of headphones. What do you think of the DT 131,231,and 331s?

Dec 25, 2003 at 6:27 AM Post #12 of 27
I use Plantronics 90 headphone/mic combo, it's dirt cheap like $20-25.

The sound quality seems ok and mic works great. Comfortable too.

I have Sennheiser 600's on the way for music! woo hoo.

Dec 25, 2003 at 8:28 AM Post #13 of 27
Unfortunately the only Beyers Ive tested for gaming are the ones ive owned. Ive heard good things about the more expensive beyers (but they arent as easily driven as the 250-80s)

I like pretty much everything about my 250-80s. They are very comfotable, and do everything i need for gaming. I dont use them for serious listening, but i dont think thats a concern for you. They serve their purpose perfectly and think they are worth every penny.

If ~170 is too expensive for you atm, you can try the senn HD570s, A similar thread posted a link where you can purchase them refurbished for $70.

Heres the link:
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=324329

Dec 25, 2003 at 8:31 AM Post #14 of 27
hd 570s, hd 590s, pc-150s, dsp-500s ( if they don't break ).

pc-150s are the "headsets to get" currently, they usually go for around $60 but they are up for $35 @ www.ecost.com

ps, you really don't need GREAT hi-fi headphones for cs, I've been playing cs for some odd 2 1/2 years and I still use my DSP-500s.

just stick with the pc-150s if you want something just for cs.

edit: based on my experience, there is NO headphone that has enough sound positioning to literally give you the exact location of the enemy, the walling you're refering to comes from experience, spam spots and random guesses.

sunman ( most famous for his wallshots ) uses audio 90s, if that makes a difference.

Dec 25, 2003 at 8:36 AM Post #15 of 27
Grado SR-80. They are punchy and are open headphones - about as open as it gets - so you can hear you stupid-ass teammates yells and gr0ans.

Also, CS is an insult to your intelligence. Try Natural Selection as a HL mod. Im addicted
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back