Cheapest 16GB ogg-enabled player
Jan 28, 2008 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Fallingwater

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for something like a Meizu M3 or M6, but with 16 GB of memory. It'd be even better if it had a SD slot for future expansion.
A 8gb player with a slot capable of accepting SD cards in excess of 8GB would be equally good, as long as it could access both memories at once.

It MUST have ogg support.
I need decent audio quality (I don't need super-duper audiophile quality as my hearing is not sensitive enough to pick up the difference). I have absolutely no need for image or multimedia capability; actually a black and white text display would be perfectly adequate, if a modern flash player with such a display existed.
ID3 database browsing would be good, but it's not imperative.

I can't spend much on it, so cheaper is better.

Does anything like this exist?

Jan 28, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 14
I have an IPod mini on the way (eBay purchase, $50 total). I have a 32GB compact flash card in hand (paid $135). I also have a high capacity battery for the mini on the way ($5 total). After I get it all together and RockBox it, I should have a 32GB flash, OGG playing, FLAC playing, parametric equalizing, cross feeding, line-outing player. All for $190.

-Pony

Jan 28, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by PouncePony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an IPod mini on the way (eBay purchase, $50 total). I have a 32GB compact flash card in hand (paid $135). I also have a high capacity battery for the mini on the way ($5 total). After I get it all together and RockBox it, I should have a 32GB flash, OGG playing, FLAC playing, parametric equalizing, cross feeding, line-outing player. All for $190.

-Pony

that's seriously an awesome idea. i have an 80gig ipod that i've rockboxed, but its so slow and has issues with rockbox (not near as perfected as older model ipods).. anyway, i was thinking of getting a used 60gig iaudio x5, but i'd be just as happy with the setup that you are going with; do you know if there are higher sized ssd drives for under 200? i suppose i need to do my research on this.. anyway, please post up a little review/how-to of your little experimentation when you get the player and the parts in.

Jan 28, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 14
Fallingwater: as you know me, I'm not giving you advices for a cheap player, but I'll rather point you towards the most expensive one. Get a 4th gen diyMod iPod with 16gb memory replacing the hard drive, and rockbox it. It will ready any formats and sound like heaven.

Jan 29, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fallingwater: as you know me, I'm not giving you advices for a cheap player, but I'll rather point you towards the most expensive one. Get a 4th gen diyMod iPod with 16gb memory replacing the hard drive, and rockbox it. It will ready any formats and sound like heaven.

You know me too, and you know well that such a suggestion is pointless to me. An iMod would sound just as any other player to my ears; all I'd accomplish would be to throw money away. Besides, I don't have the money for such a setup anyway, and you know that too. Come on, be useful.
tongue.gif

PouncePony: the idea is good. Two questions: a) are you sure the ipod mini can accept flash cards? b) are you sure it can accept such a large card size?

I hate ipods with a passion, but I could rig up something like that with some other microdrive player. Too bad the Rio Carbon doesn't accept flash cards...

Jan 29, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 14
Link

The mini and flash drive showed up today. The battery in the mini needs to be replaced. I have one on the way. I'll probably go ahead and replace the drive and not wait for that battery. I'll let you know how it goes.

-Pony

Jan 29, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #9 of 14
After a little effort, I got it. At first ITunes didn't want to restore the new drive. I had to put in the original drive, update the firmware from 1.3 to the latest. Then I switched back to the 32GB flash and viola.

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1455_redo.jpg

Pony

Jan 29, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #10 of 14
that's awesome pony, i read through geektechnique's multiple diy mods to the ipod mini (and his soon to be done, i hope, 4g ata->cf adapter mod).

i don't know much about the mini's in terms of their sq and general stats say compared to the 4g or a 5.5g video; with the size being what it is, it would be in my opinion the best fully upgradeable flash player (after the initial mods of course). do you plan on pairing this up with an amp of any sort? what type of phones are you using with it? i'd just be using some vmoda vibes, just curious.

i really want to sell my 5.5g 80gig (rockboxed) for this setup. the newer ipods are just too slow and i have to have flac and ogg. i was hoping he'd get his ata->cf adapter finished for the 4g's and i'd just mod that and add a better battery and have just a slightly larger modded mini.

anyway, enough of my rambling, sorry for thread jacking. that does look awesome though pony, and would love to hear from you in regards to my questions.

thanks!
-defsquad

Jan 29, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #12 of 14
thanks germania, that's just what i wanted to hear.

hmm, came across this thread about the mini's sq..
ipod mini SQ with rockbox - Hydrogenaudio Forums

interesting the negative thoughts about the mini (yes i know most people dislike the ipods' sq over say a cowon player). anyway, i'd love my 5.5g if rockbox was faster on it and skipped less. oh well.

Jan 30, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #13 of 14
i am very happy with ipod sound over cowon, but then that is me. i think that ipod is just too big and if it were a smaller company with less hold on the market, people would be more or less indifferent, just liking it for interface or something.

i had a cowon d2 which i found to be good and sound decent but overall, for experience and ease of listening to music, my touch which hisses every slightly more i prefer leaps and bounds to the d2. gapless, great software support, line out, great battery support (exceeding the spec by 2 hours) while the d2 did the opposite: getting about 18-20 hours less than it is supposed to.

i do however really hope for rockbox support though i doubt that will ever happen. my nano also might really benefit from it... but will it ever happen?

EDIT: sorry, i posted in that thread, resurrecting a very ancient post that had not seen any light since late 2006. In hydrogenaudio, it showed up on the front page: how embarassed i am. Anyway, please check out the links i posted that show low imp headphones driving with about 5 or 6 audio players from 2004-2005 including both 1 and 2 g mini and shuffle.

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #14 of 14
right now I am about Sandisk. This company has a real potential in the audio market. The players do sound very good (except version 1 of e2XX series). The Sansa View has 16GB and a microSD (not SDHC) expansion port. Unfortunately it won't play your OGG.

I seriously hope that the D2 will receive a rockbox treatment. It is the player I am eyeing right now. I think you might partially right that people may not like Ipod because of Apple. I in particular think Apple is a studid company that without the Ipod's popularity, it would be bankrupt because of dumb Mr. Jobs. Not sure if the iTouch plays OGG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back