Cheaper to build or buy
Mar 7, 2005 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

stormlifter

New Head-Fier
I've got a quick question...

For a CMOY or equivilant, something to power my HFI-650's... 80omhs

Is it cheaper to build or to buy?

If cheaper to buy then where and who makes the most respected?

and if cheaper to build, where to buy parts and get a good DYI guide...

I'm sure it's all out there and i could research it, but I wanted to have all this info in once place, so that others could benifit from it.

Mar 7, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 5

eyevancsu

100+ Head-Fier
Its cheaper to build unless you dont have some of the tools needed; soldering iron, dmm, misc tools, etc. If you dont mind investing a little more in case you dont have the tools you can get a whole lot of learning done along with a great sounding amp. If your ultimate goal is just to have an amp dont mind not learning with the process (nothing wrong with that), it might be cheaper to just buy custom/prebuilt.

-Ivan C.

Mar 7, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 5

JMT

JMT Audio:PPA/META42 Amp Factory
Quote:

Originally Posted by stormlifter
I've got a quick question...

For a CMOY or equivilant, something to power my HFI-650's... 80omhs

Is it cheaper to build or to buy?

It depends on if you have all of the necessary tools already.
Quote:

If cheaper to buy then where and who makes the most respected?

There are many builders here, check out Mall-Fi or peruse the Amplification Forum. There are some that build that do not participate here regularly but advertise their services on eBay.
Quote:

and if cheaper to build, where to buy parts and get a good DYI guide...

Getting Started in Audio DIY

How to Build the Cmoy Pocket Amplifier
Quote:

I'm sure it's all out there and i could research it, but I wanted to have all this info in once place, so that others could benifit from it.

Much of it already is: Tangentsoft Audio

Mar 7, 2005 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 5

Nospam

500+ Head-Fier
It's always quicker and usually cheaper to buy. Few people have all the necessary tools, and ordering small quantities of parts for 1 amp gets expensive with multiple shipping/handling charges (assuming you end up having to order from more than one place, which is usually the case).

However, building it yourself is always more gratifying and fun. The amp will also sound "better" because you build it yourself
tongue.gif

Mar 7, 2005 at 9:23 AM Post #5 of 5

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
either: get into diy, or don't. buying tools to make one amp is a complete waste. "can" you save money with diy: yes. will you: maybe, maybe not. but if you're getting into diy to save money, i'd say it's not a good reason. if you want to tinker with things, be able to adjust and tweak, to know how your system works, and to be able to customize, then go for it. if it's just pure sound quality for $, best off buying used stuff in the for sale forum here

Users who are viewing this thread