cheaper amps ($100-$150) good or bad for se530's?
Sep 28, 2007 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jinx20001

Headphoneus Supremus
i just thought i would post this thread to ask you all what you think about cheap headphones amplifiers. can they indeed give better sound to my headphones or will they do more harm than...lets say the stock ipod out.

i have waited for an RSA hornet but been browsing other cheaper models such as:

Behringer HA4700
HP4V 4 Channel Headphone Amplifier
SM Pro Audio HP6 6 Channel Headphone Amplifier

thoughts on these 'bugdet' amps would be appreciated and wether they are any good for IEM's and so on

thanks all!
k1000smile.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 6
more a question for the amp forum. To answer it, though, I'd say stick with hifi community amps over questionable-sounding 'pro' gear, but that there's plenty of portable amps within your price range that will noticeably improve SQ over your stock ipod out.

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 6
cheers for the reply, i thought id post in the headphone forum because i know many people here have great experience with amps and i do want to find the cheapest amp that will improve sound of my se530's...so there is a element of earphones there
k1000smile.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 6
I bought a used Xenos X1HA-EPC headphone amp from a member here for just a tiny bit over your price range ($175). It sounds wonderful with my SE530's -- a quite noticeable improvement actually.

Buying used helps with the bang for the buck factor.

Sep 29, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 6
I have a C&C Box amp and it improves the sound of my E500's significantly. Of course, after a few weeks I realized I could get even better sound with a better amp and now have a Reference on order. If you have the cash, I suggest you go for at least a mid-range portable amp ($150-200 range). It will save you from immediate upgraditis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back