Cheap USB Amp/DAC?
Nov 22, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by funkychowda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe a used headroom bithead?

Thats higher than 50 bucks~lol~ maybe a cheap one from "hotaudio.com"

Nov 22, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 11
I think $50 is unrealistic for a dac + amp that would improve a reasonable set of headphones unless you are prepared to do your own soldering, or you get lucky buying used in the buy/sell forum.

What is your current source and 'phones?

PS: I have an m-audio mobile-pre usb. It's OK for what I bought it for (I use it with my laptop & a RS sound meter to calibrate my subwoofer in my home theater system). The one thing I did not like was that the windows drivers were a bit funky - it seemed pretty unhappy with one of the windows XP updates and I uninstalled the drivers. m-audio might have an updated version, but I didn't need it, so I took the easiest path. Just an FYI...

Nov 23, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think $50 is unrealistic for a dac + amp that would improve a reasonable set of headphones unless you are prepared to do your own soldering, or you get lucky buying used in the buy/sell forum.

What is your current source and 'phones?

Current source and phones are in my sig in my post above, as well as in my profile: north star m192 mkII, Stax O2 mk2, Stax Lambdas, Stax Signatures.

I know what one needs to spend for a good DAC.

My question specifically is for a cheap DAC/amp. I do not particularly care about the SQ for my purposes. I will not be using this in my rig.

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 11
bringing an old thread back to life.. what did you end up getting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back