Cheap under $200 reciever??
Mar 31, 2006 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

dudlew

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I am looking for the best $200 or less reciever dohicky I can find that sounds decent for stereo.

From my research, the only ones that I am willing to venture on are:
the JVC RX-202B or 201S
The Onkyo TX-SR303
Teac AGL800
Yamaha HTR-5930SL
and the Sony STR-DE698B

Any of you guys own any of these and think they are worth it?

Me personally I am leaning to the JVC or the Teac. I need good audio quality, but am not that big of a movie buff so dont need the myriad of HT features eventhough I do plan on using this as an HT/Music setup.

Obviously, You should realise that I am trying to keep this cheap, as this is a second system I am building. I dont want anything to cost more than $200 in the system. The only other reciever I might consider at a higher price is the Panny XR-55, but unless its miles ahead of the above competition (Teac, JVC)
I will pass just on price alone. The Teac also seems to have a great remote.

So my criteria:
1) Must be a HT reciever.
2) Must cost $200 or less.
3) Must beable to sound decent with Audio only (SACD, DVD-Audio, Redbook. Plan on trying to get the Pioneer universal player to partner it and the new Monitor Audio Bronze B1s that I should get soon once everything goes as planned)

So let me know if you think its impossible or do the recievers I have looked at fit the bill.

Thanks

D

Edit: Also bear in mind that your word is worth a million bucks to me as I am not in a situation (location Barrier) to listen to these myself. So I must depend on your word and your experience to help me in an educated decision. You've helped me before and I trust you guys ears. My headphone decision and my source decision were all based on either good writeup of the Modder (Matthew Anker) or of the Product (Senns HD497) and I am very satisfied with bothe products.

Thanks again

Mar 31, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 15
The TEAC is Tripath-based, just like TEAC's A-L700P power amp. You can do a search here and see that it's been well-received.

If you can, keep your eyes on the Onkyo TX-SR503 instead of the SR303. It's about US$230.00 and it's been very well-reviewed in magazines such as "Sound & Vision", "Home Theater", and "Sensible $ound". I have seen it for as low as US$200.00. Since you already have the Mirage Nanosub, that should go well with the Onkyo because it's somewhat lacking in terms of power for the lower frequencies. If you are doing SACD/DVD-A, the Onkyo is especially good because it's an analog straight-thru design with its 5.1 inputs.

April is when many manufacturers release new models, so you can get a great deal on last year's models. Panasonic will be releasing a new XR57 next month. Sony is also releasing some new HT receivers as well.

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #3 of 15
Take a look at some used units, too. I've seen receivers last 30+ years, and (in my opinion) they're very stable units that don't break down much. I've even seen cheapies last a lot longer than they should.

You ought to pick up a nice used HT unit for $200 or less. The marketers swear the latest models are superior, but the technology hasn't changed that much. They just repackage and change the model number year after year. Maybe put a blue LED under the power switch. You could get a 5-6 year old unit that sold for $700-$1000 new. You'd be better off with one of those than a new $200 unit.

Apr 2, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 15
I am seriously considering upping the limit to $300.

I am now looking at the Pioneer 515 and 815 And the H/K 135 also the Panasonic and the Onkyo S503.

Decisions decisions.

Because there are so few stores that accept international orders, especially since I dont have a credit card, it means that I go Amazon, or buy used.

Oh well, such is life.

D

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 15
The Pioneer 815 (and the upcoming 816) has something that none of its competitors have....pre-outs. In fact, pre-outs for all 6 channels. That means you can upgrade the power amp section and still keep the pre-amp/tuner section of the receiver if you like to upgrade.

I have seen some very positive reviews for the Pioneer 815. You may be able to catch a good deal since the 816 is almost here.

Apr 2, 2006 at 8:13 AM Post #6 of 15
do you only need it for audio or for video too? Onkyo that I have (see sig) is pretty good as far as I can tell.. no subwoofer out, though.

Apr 2, 2006 at 11:40 AM Post #7 of 15
I would like it for both.

It would primarily be for music, but it would also be used for TV/movies and even pc.

D

Apr 3, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 15
Ok,

For looks convenience and size, I am going for the Teac. I have not heard much about it. Actually nothing at all. But this section in audio (lifestyle setups) seems to be owned by two brands; Denon and Teac. So I will try the Teac and hope and pray that it sounds good. Also I think that the remote looks like a gem as well.

D

Apr 4, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #12 of 15
well here's the deal.... I cant buy most of these unless I go through Amazon, and then I will still need a friend to buy it for me. Let me tell you why i am up sh..., errr..... you know that creek.

Strike one: I am an international customer, so ac4l, bestbuy, circuit City and other big name places won't touch me with a 10 foot poll.

Strike two: The places that do accept international orders accept credit cards mainly. I dont have one.

Strike three: of the places that take alternative payments, basically none of them have affordable gear, or at least none that I have found.

So you may ask, why dont I have a credit card??? because the banks here want to have safety money put aside on a fixed deposit theamount of your limit. So I will have EC$3000 (just over US$1000) put aside not doing a damn thing to have a credit card that I might use 4 times in a year at most? Plus have to pay the card fees etc? Dont sound like a good deal for me.

So its frustrating to hear get that one and check this site for a great deal only to find out that I just cant get it because of the company's policy.

So unless one of you buy these things for me at the great prices you find, or unless I find them used, I am limited to two REPUTABLE comapnies that I know of; Amazon and Audio Advisors. So if what you suggest is not on the list of any of these companies, or is not in my pricerange, or not on Audiogon, then its a uselees rec although it may be a great rec.

Therefore is anybody willing to act as my middleman in this purchase? Or is there a rec from the list I provided?

D

Apr 4, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #13 of 15
I don't see why more people don't ask for the "middleman". I'll be happy to do it for you as long as all of the money is up front. You will pay double shipping cost, but it might be less than having a company ship to you directly? Are you able to use PayPal?

Sam

Apr 4, 2006 at 10:15 AM Post #14 of 15
No PAyPal either!

The Double shipping thing is also another catch. Thats why Amazon is so great. No need for that. I have a post box in Florida. The catch with the Post Box is that UPS and FedEx dont ship to them
frown.gif
But it gives me an address so that IF I get a credit card, I can use that as the address. Thats another reason why I prefer using Money Order or wire transfer. I can specify the shipping address that I want. The only company that I know of that does this with credit cards, is Amazon

I am sorry for the rant, but its the truth. Thats why I always look for used as I can kinda convince the seller to sell to me if I am eager enough. But recievers are so hard to find used. The modern ones sometimes sell for more than new or too close to it to make it worthwhile, and all thats left are the old ones deplete of good features.

Anyway, such is life. I think I will ask a friend here in SVG to order the Teac for me from Amazon.

D

Apr 17, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #15 of 15
OK, Just a quick update,

I upped my budget a bit and got a used Marantz SR4300 off of Audiogon. It was the best deal I saw, save for a Sony AVD-50ES which flew off of Audiogon like a mouse running from a cat.

So my setup will now look like this:

Marantz SR4300 reciever
Monitor Audio Bronze B1 speakers ( I am supposed to get these i the next two days)
Mission M30! speakers
and the source is still up for grabs. I think I will use back my Sony player to save money, eventhough I would have liked to have gotten a cheap slimline universal.

Anybody wants to purchase one for me?
wink.gif
But seriously though, if anyone is interested in being a middleman for me in the next month or so I would be greatful.

The Pioneer DV-588A from Amazon is the one I am eyeing and hopefully can get in the next month or so. I dont want to spend more than US$200 on it and it must be a universal. Any other recommendations in this price range?

I will report back again when I get the reciever and the speakers and talk of the sound

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back