CHEAP TWEAK ALERT-- Iron Lung Jellyfish hospital grade power cord-- $29.99!
Jul 15, 2005 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Having recently received a pair of the best ICs I've ever heard (review forthcoming), I've been fooling around with the power cabling in my system. The new ICs are far cheaper than they have a right to be, which opened my mind to trying other cheaper power cords, so I've been experimenting with some less expensive power cords than what I previously owned (retailed around $700 each).

Since the makers of my previous cables relied on a sort of "faith-based" approach to cable design, and *perhaps* utilized what *some* would argue are pseudo-scientific "innovations" to produce their products (which I freely and gladly admit are EXCELLENT-sounding cables), I decided to go in the opposite direction and turned to a manufacturer who purports to base their designs purely on science and *measurements*. I recabled my system with $200 Analysis Plus Oval 10 power cords. Analysis Plus' claim to fame is the use of pure measurement to prove their cables worth. They've developed some very unique cable geometries (hollow oval) that they assert are *measurably better* than other cables (their trade show booths are famous for doing demos with their test equipment that show the "superiority" of their cables vs. much more expensive competitors).

But sometimes, you need to actually *listen* to a cable to determine its value and performance level vs. its measured specs. The Oval 10s were extremely transparent, clean and clear as you could ever ask for with great soundstaging-- BUT they were too bright and lean and thin in my system. Bass was lacking, they were fatiguing to me.

So, as a test, I decided to go back to stock cabling for both units, 18-guage well-made molded power cords, a bit nicer than your typical no-name cords. Yup, in comparison to aftermarket cords, they do indeed SUCK. In fact they took my system back down to a whole new low. Yuck! I swapped the Analysis Plus and the stock cables back and forth half a dozen times, and the conclusion was obvious-- as much as I disapproved of some of what the Analysis Plus cables were doing, they were still light years ahead of the stock cabling in almost every respect.

While perusing audiogon for replacements, I came across an ad for these Iron Lung Jellyfish power cords, no-frills, custom-built hospital-grade 14-guage power cords. They were a mere $29.00 each. What the heck, why not?

I ordered two of them, put one on my RS Audio HR-2 and another on my Sony SCD-555ES sacmods SACDP. Let's just say I had *very low* expectations, but I was very pleasantly surprised (I would actually say slack-jawed *given the price*). Tonally, they are very balanced with very good bass response. Reasonably clean, decent soundstaging (although a little 2-D and flat relative to other cords), relatively low noise floor, but not as low as the Analysis Plus or the other more expensive power cords I've had. A bit "slower" than the Analysis Plus, but not bad. Comparing them several times to the stock cabling, the difference could not have been clearer.

Overall, I can say I would much rather have these cheapie $29 cables in my system than the $200 Analysis Plus cables, how's that for a recommendation?

I think if you've ever been tempted to dip your toes in the aftermarket power cables pond, these are a great way to start. I don't think you would be disappointed. They haven't necessarily stopped my current quest for better power cables, but at $29 they give you a level of performance that is absolutely ridiculous given the cost of entry.

Way recommended!
orphsmile.gif

http://www.tubeaudiodesign.com/

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 12
These cables are *extremely* basic, no fancy gimmicks, other than performance. 14-guage (thicker than your average 18-guage cable) with pure copper, and hospital grade connectors.

I don't want to argue about the efficacy of power cables, and this is a DBT-free forum. I can say that I didn't believe in them either (it just doesn't make any sense) until I actually tried some several years ago. Maybe better way to think of it instead of the "last 1 meter of cable", is as "the first meter of cable" to your component.

I recognize there are any number of cable skeptics on this site. We could argue endlessly about them. I only know what I've *heard* in my own system. I've owned dozens and dozens of different ICs and power cables.

Until any person has listened to as many cables as I have, you're just speculating, IMHO. I call attention to these cables because cost of entry is so low, they just might convince some skeptics. Incredible value!

Jul 16, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 12
markl those look pretty much the same as the Quails we ordered some time ago (for 12.00) Just that the Quails were shielded and with ferrite cores on both ends....I'm almost sure that they ordered them from Quail, or any similar manufacturer, maybe under their own specs or so, but the plugs are identical, and cable look identical to me....

CORDMED.jpg

1090326046613_snake.JPG

Jul 16, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinbios
What exactly are the advantages offered by a hospital-grade connector?

It's sturdier so you get more plug unplug cycles out of it plus generally the ones I have used fit into the wall tighter so they don't fall out as easy as a normal plug would.

Jul 16, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinbios
What exactly are the advantages offered by a hospital-grade connector?

They are mechanically better, more sturdy that's it, it is like a quality control seal for cables...

Jul 16, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #8 of 12
They do look similar to the Quails. No idea what the differences are. How much were the Quails?

Jul 16, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
They do look similar to the Quails. No idea what the differences are. How much were the Quails?

After everything was said and done, I think they were around $15 or so with shipping, IIRC.

Jul 16, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl

tortie and stromie organized three groups of persons interested for the Quails some time ago, the best quote I got from Quail, and pass it to them for the first group, it was about $12.00 each, plus shipping, and bla bla bla.....so make it around $15.00....

I still have a few around, with or without the ferrite core, and with or without shielding, if you want to do a comparison, let me know, I can borrow you one of them for a try...it could be an interesting experience, and over this, nobody had reviewed the Quails yet, so you could shoot two bird with one stone....just gimme a shout if you want to try them.....

Jul 18, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
1090326046613_snake.JPG

Urk. That cable and chair look awfully familiar to me...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back