Cheap Turntable options?
Jun 20, 2005 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Little J040

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello

Im looking for a cheap but decent turntable to play some of my dads old records and hook them up to my supermacro -> HD 595. I dont really know much about turntables, some come direct drive and some are belt driven? What would be a good starter, yet not cheapo turntable? Im looking to spend between 50-200$ on a used one. Technics and Pioneer seem to have a bunch, but i really dont know where to start looking.

Thanks

Jun 20, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 24
I went though this about 6 months ago and here's my advice: wait and buy a $300-$500 new model (the cheapest one I'd reccomend would be the ProJect Debut III @ $270). That was my budget for a new TT in January and I ended up with a Dual 1237 I got from ePay (fortunately the seller was very easy to work with and did an excellent job packing it). I ended up having to do several DIY repairs to it before it performed in an satisfactory manner, all of which doubled the price of the unit. In the long run you'll probably save money and spare youreself frustration by buying a new turntable with a warranty than by buying a used older one which may or may not need repair or service. If you do want to buy used I'll reccomend buying from The Turntable Factory because they refurbish and properly package used turntables (and all their turntables come with a 30-day warranty, something you won't find elsewhere).

No matter what you do, be sure you learn how to setup a turntable properly (see the FAQ section over at www.audiogon.com for some links). An improperly setup turntable will not only sound bad but it can be a hazard to your records and stylus.

EDIT: Also keep in mind that you'll need a phono preamp if you don't have a receiver that has phono inputs on it. Your turntable won't sound good without one.

EDIT 2: D'oh! I meant www.audioasylum.com and not www.audiogon.com

Jun 21, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 24
Cool, thanks a lot for your input !
smily_headphones1.gif

So i wouldnt be able to just use my supermacro for amplification? I have a reciever with a phono input on it, so could i just use that then -> supermacro then to my headphones?

Jun 21, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 24
After reviewing some of those sites you sent me, all i can say is that i had no idea turntables could be so expensive. Are there differences between DJ turntables and ones that just play records? I saw one turntable on one of those sites for 20$k. HOLY CRAP!. Hopefully i ll never get that crazy. I have about 50 or so records of my dads so i dont think anything above 300-500$ is necessary, as i am no Vinyl guru or lovemaker. LOL? Who knows though, im sure ill love the analogie sound vs, crappy digital what are those things called oh yeah, cd.
icon10.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 24
yeah, you are going to need a phono stage which will go into your super macro. Just get a cheapie phono stage at Radioshack, it runs off batteries as well, as long as you have clean records and you set up your TT fine, it should sound decent enough!

Jun 21, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040
Cool, thanks a lot for your input !
smily_headphones1.gif

So i wouldnt be able to just use my supermacro for amplification? I have a reciever with a phono input on it, so could i just use that then -> supermacro then to my headphones?

If your receiver has a phono input, you don't need a separate phono stage. Just run the Tape Outs of your receiver to your Supermacro.

Jun 21, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #7 of 24
I agree with Mr. Radar. If you get into the $300 to $500 range, you have so many more options. Goldring GR-1, mmf-5, Rega P2, to name a few. Use your receiver's phono input and your set.

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 24
I've heard good things about the goldring GR-1, what makes it a good buy. As far as the setup, i would just run a set of RCA's from the turntable to the phono input, then rca -> mini from tape out to my supermacro?

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040
I've heard good things about the goldring GR-1, what makes it a good buy. As far as the setup, i would just run a set of RCA's from the turntable to the phono input, then rca -> mini from tape out to my supermacro?

The GR-1 is a re-branded Rega P2 which includes a cart. Aman, has the GR-1 and I believe has reviewed it. You may want to do a search for the review. You could also pm him for info. You have the setup right.

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 24
Alright, thanks for all the options everyone.

I'm planning on making my own mini -> rca and rca->rca's for this setup, is this a good idea, or should i buy some instead?

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #11 of 24
To me "cheap turntable" screams two words.

Yard Sale

There are some great deals out there in yard/garage sales, or local classifieds.
If you only have 50 records I wouldn't spend much to play them unless you know they are in pristine shape (unlikely, since otherwise the source of your records would also be the source of your turntable). Look for something from around 1980 give or take a decade that appears to be in decent shape. Make sure it goes round and round. If the needle is intact all the better - else you'll have to buy a new one.
If you think you'll be in vinyl for awhile then it makes more sense to buy a new turntable.
I saw a old table at a garage sale last week - looked barely used - seller said it was a $500 table, and I believe them. They wanted $50. If I didn't already have a turntable I liked I would have picked it up. Almost did anyway...

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #12 of 24
Yeah maybe i shouldnt go all out right out of the box, i may not like vinyls, so maybe i should buy something cheap first, but usually whenever i start low on the food chain, I always end up moving up therefore costs more money, compared to if i just jumped up to the GR-1 level.

Jun 22, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #13 of 24
Yeah I agree with dknightd, the best way to get one cheap locally, you can get some really good deals. I got a Dual CS-505-2 for $100(CAD) from a guy in great condition, the dust cover is cracked though.
Anyway, have a look at pawn shops, yard sales, in your classifieds and on online classified sites, you should be able to find a good deal.
The best thing about buying locally is you can see its condition before you buy it and there is no chance of anything getting broken in transportation.

Jun 22, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #14 of 24
Very true Thanks for your insights!

Jun 25, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #15 of 24
100$-200$ definately does sound more appealling to my current funds. !
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back