cheap Telarc CD/SACDs at BRO
Jan 7, 2009 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

calaf

1000+ Head-Fier
Jan 7, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 11
Wow! Just took a look around and they have great deals on plenty of other music. Lots and lots of steals on SACD, too. Might just have to break out the credit card and order all of them.
biggrin.gif
Thanks!

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 11
Very cool. Good thing the shipping costs little enough!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by evanft /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any suggestions?

All of them?

Well, I am still poring over what they have. I was hoping to see the Robert Shaw recording of Verdi's Requiem. I already have it, but wanted to buy a couple of copies for friends. Didn't find it yet. But I did see the Copland Fanfare recording by the Cincinnati Pops which is quite good. And so is the Shaw SACD hybrid disk of that piece. No question that Kunzel and Shaw both benefited from their relationship with Telarc. There is a bunch of great stuff there. And if it's like most of the Telarc discs I own, the recording quality is excellent. And wow, what a price.

Years ago when i lived in Ohio, I visited the Telarc facility and was blown away by their obsession with quality. I still hear it with these discs.

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 11
just received my CDs from Berkshire. so much music for so little. very excited. purchased mostly SACDS but there were some regular CDs that i couldn't pass up as well. here's what i got.

1. HARMONIA MUNDI Mahler, Symphony #8.

2. HARMONIA MUNDI Mozart, Don Giovanni.

3. TELARC Berlioz, Symphonie Fantastique. Tchaikovsky, Nutcracker

4. TELARC Wagner, 'Tristan' Prelude and Liebestod. Strauss, Four Last Songs

5. TELARC Schubert {arr. Mahler}, String Quartet #14 'Death and the Maiden

6. TELARC Mahler, Symphony #2

7. PHILIPS Handel, Ariodante.

8. PHILIPS Mahler, Symphony #8.

9. TELARC Sibelius, Kullervo, Op.7.

10. EMI/ANGEL Wagner, Parsifal.

my one complaint is that just about all of the CD cases were broken - not cracked - but broken entirely in one way or another. i find this really odd because the CDs were double boxed and most were then wrapped in paper. so my only guess is that they were broken beforehand. i can't imagine all that damage happened during shipping, but maybe . . . either way, out of all the CDs i ordered, only 2 of the cases i was able to keep, the rest i had to throw away. for the price though, i'm not going to complain.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pale Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Years ago when i lived in Ohio, I visited the Telarc facility and was blown away by their obsession with quality. I still hear it with these discs.

My brother worked at Telarc from 1997 to 2000... you may have met him if thats when you were there...

Where in the bay area are you located? I'm in Novato and my brother actually just visited as he had a gig with a band he plays mandolin in at the Dance Palace in Pt. Reyes. During his visit we actually got into talking about music and sound quality and he mirrored what you say about obsession to quality, mentioning the countless time they would have multiple hour discussions about a pair of headphones, microphone, etc... He also mentioned that one of the "fathers" of audio recording worked at Telarc while he was there so now that I have a proper listening rig, I need to see if he still has his old Telarc collection to appreciate the superb quality that my brother helped create for a few years, but Telarc has always had!

Thank goodness for companies like Telarc that realize how important it is to create a recording that maintains the intended effect!

Best,
RPT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back