Cheap, sturdy phones for radio studios
Dec 15, 2007 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tarkovsky

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there I'm a techy at uni's radio and wondered what you might recommend in the way of tough (I mean really really tough) closed phones with good isolation.
The foyer is an absolute headphone graveyard. SQ is really not important here, as long as they are passable, cheap and won't easily be consigned to our sizable headphone graveyard I'm happy. There are a lot of people in and out of the studio so they must be cheap, lest they go walkies
Thanks
Zak

Dec 15, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 11
Well, the AKG K81DJ are a pretty good choice for durable cans that aren't terribly expensive. But if you can do something about security, you can't get much better than the Sennheiser HD25-1. Those things are built with a steel cable, and are built like tanks. Twice as expensive as the 81DJ, but worth it in my opinion.

Dec 15, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarkovsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there I'm a techy at uni's radio and wondered what you might recommend in the way of tough (I mean really really tough) closed phones with good isolation.
The foyer is an absolute headphone graveyard. SQ is really not important here, as long as they are passable, cheap and won't easily be consigned to our sizable headphone graveyard I'm happy. There are a lot of people in and out of the studio so they must be cheap, lest they go walkies
Thanks
Zak

I recommend the HD480 from Canford Audio, if you stand on them the earpeaces pop off and click back, the leads have steel running through them and plugs in the cans that come out so you can't kill them unless you set fire to them, also it takes seconds to raid a box of three with bits missing to make a new pair, mine are 15yrs old and sennheiser had to start making them again because of demand. We all swear by them at the bbc.

Dec 16, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 11
I think the 1700 ohm HD480s even were a special item for the BBC ("beebphones" :p). I think one could still sell the regular consumer version quite well these days, since inexpensive and halfway neutral entry-level cans have become quite rare.

Dec 16, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #8 of 11
We've had the MD-v6s and they have fallen apart. Due to the student nature of station, and the large numbers of unpaid DJs we have we need cheap phones. These canford audio 480s sound very promising, but I can't find any. Do you know anywhere I could look? What's the pricing like?

Dec 16, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #9 of 11
I have a pair of AKG K240s. I've sat on them multiple times, dropped them off a shelf, et cetera.

Very, very, very durable headphones, and they can be purchased at any Guitar Center.

I can't speak for the durability of the cheaper stuff, but if you're willing to spend $130 or so, you can't go wrong with the AKGs.

I would note, though, that they're 600 ohm headphones. You might need a headphone amp to get the voltage up to acceptable levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back