"Cheap" Sounds Good!
Jul 24, 2002 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
I have gone through some changes recently. I sold my Melos and HD 600's w/Cardas. Right now my iBook is hooked to Cambridge Soundworks micros. Hey don't get me wrong I still like the highend. My B&W's and B&K still move me more than any ,any headphone system I've heard. I bought a set of Koss KSC35 and 50's and they sound great with my old iPod (sold to get 20 gigger). So one of my favorite set ups is my JMT Penquin with Pana 570 and Ety 4P's. Although thew Cosmic with the Cambridge D500SE and Ety's does'nt sound too shabby. My point is I really could live with an iPod and KSc35's. Nice, portable sound and lot's of it. And I don't need a power conditioner. Megabucks does not equal megasound. I know..

Jul 24, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #2 of 6
lex -

20G iPod @$499 = Cheap? I don't think so. The iPod is not a standalone system. Add in the cost of the required iBook (or compatible pc/laptop) and you are in or above $2K.

I can put together a pretty sweet full-size system for that chunk of change (or even for the $500 of just the iPod!)

Now the Pan 570 + Ety combo is truly standalone, and relatively cheap. Use the PCDP w/the KSC35's and you are on the "ultra-cheap"!

But I do get your meaning.
wink.gif

-j

Jul 24, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 6
Yeah I guess I meant the headphones and amps. The Koss are some surprisingly good phones and the Cambridge Soundworks speaker really put out. Maybe the source was extreme.

Jul 24, 2002 at 11:36 AM Post #4 of 6
lextek
HI:
If you are happy with your sound then just stop getting upgrads. I could live with my 35s for portable listening for a very long time. Yes there are better portable cans out there like the er-4p but are they 300.00 worth better? I sent them back and am very happy with my 35.00 koss-35 and with my total airhead amp I get great sound out of my portable rig.

Jul 24, 2002 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 6
You know, sometimes I question why I have my expensive headphone setup when I'm listening to my iPod + etys in bed, in total aural bliss...

Jul 25, 2002 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 6
chych
HI: I know what you mean. I use my portable rig 90 percent of the time and seldom use my main rig maby when I get a new cd and really need to listen to it with my highend stuff then record it on my portable mini disc and use the total airhead and koss-35s and it sounds great not as good as my 580s but still very very good and can take it anywhere. If I know now what I din't know then I would just have my portable rig and a lot more money in the bank.LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back