Cheap/simple replacement cord for DT990?
Nov 13, 2008 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

weirded

New Head-Fier
Folks, the cable on my 20yr old DT990 is gone. I replaced it with a cable from a $5 pair of earbuds for now (haven't soldered in a while), but would like a somewhat more adequate replacement. Nothing fancy, ideally not too expensive.

Recommendations?

Nov 14, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 11
Answered my own question. Just ordered a Sennheiser H-92885 for $11.75 from sennheiser.com. I'll simply clip off the connectors on the headphone side and solder them into the Beyerdynamic. That should work well enough.

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 11
Wow, 20 year old DT990s?
eek.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anvil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, 20 year old DT990s?
eek.gif

Yeah they were kinda gross. This was before the current "Pro" model, so it had a leather strap that goes over your head to adjust the size -- it was all torn up. Replaced it with a nylon strap cut to the same shape. Took out the foam that covers the drivers (it had gotten crumbly and made a huge mess when I took the cans out of storage) and ordered some new ear pads.

I haven't used this pair of cans in probably 7+ years, but when I tried them out, I realized that I still prefer them over my Sennheiser HD590s. Also realized that neither my iPhone nor my MacBook Pro could drive them adequately, so I ordered a DAC/Amp combo.

Overall, a fun/rewarding project
beyersmile.png

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 11
Update: The Sennheiser HD650 cable fits almost perfectly. The only slight issue is that the point where the two cables running to your ears join is a bit too close to the ears, so you can feel the cable under your chin. Other than that, works perfectly.

Between this, new foam from Beyerdynamic and the hand-crafted head strap replacement, it's good-as-new. Well worth the ~ $30 spent...
basshead.gif

Dec 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #11 of 11
I own a pair of vintage DT880s headphones and I am interested in re-cabling them, just like you did.

Could you tell me what cable you used and where you got it from?

Generally speaking, how do you go about picking a replacement cable for these headphones?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bjoern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back