Cheap SACD and DVD-A players
Feb 9, 2002 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
Do these things actually perform as well as their $1000 counterparts? Basically, will the sound quality be the same?

Feb 9, 2002 at 4:06 AM Post #2 of 13
Based only on reviews, so take with a grain of salt: hardly any of the DVD-A players have been getting good ratings. Stereophile called the Pioneer DV-47A the first really good DVD-A player (paraphrasing). However, all SACD players have been getting good reviews. Even the cheaper models have been raising some eyebrows.

Feb 9, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 13
Cool, once i start seeing stuff i like being released, maybe i'll pick up a cheapy SACD unit.

I assume the headphone jacks are something to write home about?
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
I assume the headphone jacks are something to write home about?

Don't know, ask someone who has one. I don't think they were mentioned in any of the reviews. You don't really think that, do you? I mean, c'mon, let's get serious!

Feb 9, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 13
LOL....Didn't you notice the saracastic thingy? LOL.

By the way:

Shirley is still waiting for you
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #6 of 13
I have a SCD-C333ES SACD player and a DVP-NS500V DVD/SACD player. The 333 has more clarity in the midrange and treble and better bass extension. This is from a short comparison in a single system. They now live in seperate systems. However, my subjective impression is that both are very close in their overall acoustic signature. In addition the 500 does multi-channel SACD and plays DVD's. I paid over $100 less for the 500 which was bought new compared to the 333 which was bought used. Part of the difference may simply be the much more substantial chasis of the 333 compared to the 500. I may try some mods.

I wouldn't know about the headphone jacks since I have not used them on either player.

Feb 9, 2002 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 13
Hey morphsci,

Basically, i was figuring that the same technology is incorparated in all SACD players, like DVD video players. Of course i assume the ES model must be built like a tank and is built with a higher quality chasis among other things. Like the amount of jacks in the back and such. Does the quote "more bells and whistles" apply for the ES model?

Feb 9, 2002 at 4:20 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

LOL....Didn't you notice the saracastic thingy? LOL.

ICBSABS. Quote:

Shirley is ... waiting for you

Yeah, I wish.

Feb 9, 2002 at 4:25 AM Post #9 of 13
The higher level models have better DACs and more DACs. I believe the new 777 has three DACs. As far as bells and whistles about all I care abou is on/off, play, pause, stop, open/close. That about does it for me. The 500 has built-in dolby digital and dts decoders so it has speaker management for that. I'm sure it has other things but I have not used it much since my living room system is being converted from primarily stereo to primarily HT. Therefore, to me it is in flux and to my wife its a damn mess.

Feb 9, 2002 at 4:26 AM Post #10 of 13
Feb 9, 2002 at 8:00 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

HUH?

ICBSABS==I Can Be Such A Blond Sometimes (== "duh"). Quote:

This is what i meant by Shirley...

Yeah, I know, I deliberately misinterpreted your solitary quote.

I mean, that would be like me saying to someone else on this board who will remain nameless *COUGH*Audio&Me*COUGH*, "Jessica is waiting for you".

Feb 9, 2002 at 4:33 PM Post #12 of 13
Hehe, well, take a look over the page and tell me if your interested in anything. Being that your a big Garbage, well, ok....Shirley fan.
tongue.gif

Feb 11, 2002 at 11:59 AM Post #13 of 13
Haha! Lofl.

Cheap SACD player probably means skimping on the quality of the converters and outputs. Then again, it could be all about the build and aesthetics. But I have only auditioned the 333ES so I have no credibility on that issue.

I was planning on getting a Sony SCD 333ES, but before I even buy a SACD player, I think I'm going to wait to try other ones first. I particularly want to try the Marantz SA-14.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back