Cheap portable amp solution - PA2V2 or E11 or CMoyBB
Jun 12, 2013 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MagellanR14

100+ Head-Fier
My Philips Uptowns are underpowered in the sense that I cannot get enough volume from them. Thus, I am looking into a relatively cheap portable amp solution. I saw the Electric Avenues PA2V2, FiiO E11, and JDS Labs CMoyBB were popular, which of these would do the best for raising the volume of my over-ear headphones and potentially enhancing the SQ? Does anybody have experience with any of these? (The amp is for use with my Cowon Z2 and, on occasion, my iPad)

I appreciate it,
Magellan

Jun 13, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
My Philips Uptowns are underpowered in the sense that I cannot get enough volume from them. Thus, I am looking into a relatively cheap portable amp solution. I saw the Electric Avenues PA2V2, FiiO E11, and JDS Labs CMoyBB were popular, which of these would do the best for raising the volume of my over-ear headphones and potentially enhancing the SQ? Does anybody have experience with any of these? (The amp is for use with my Cowon Z2 and, on occasion, my iPad)

I appreciate it,
Magellan

I've owned those 3 amps - actually still have the EA and cMoy (somewhere...)
and listened to them extensively.
I recommend the JDS Labs cMoy 2.03BB for best SQ, followed closely by the EA.
The E11 wins for form factor, and isn't that far off from the SQ of the other two.

Any of the 3 will drive your headphones to earsplitting volume.

Edit: Here's some good analysis of amps in the price range you mentioned,
though it's (very slightly) outdated now...this market is moving very quickly.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-10-1-amps-compared

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #4 of 9
comparing the cmoy (jds labs 2.03) and the e11, i was unable to differentiate as far as sound quality goes. they sounded the same to me.
while unfamiliar with the uptowns, based on my own preferences only, the e11 wins for portability - its tiny and slim. the cMoy wins for sturdiness and battery life, its also pretty cool =]

havent heard the other amps you mentioned  

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
comparing the cmoy (jds labs 2.03) and the e11, i was unable to differentiate as far as sound quality goes. they sounded the same to me.
while unfamiliar with the uptowns, based on my own preferences only, the e11 wins for portability - its tiny and slim. the cMoy wins for sturdiness and battery life, its also pretty cool =]

havent heard the other amps you mentioned  

Quote:

I've owned those 3 amps - actually still have the EA and cMoy (somewhere...)
and listened to them extensively.
I recommend the JDS Labs cMoy 2.03BB for best SQ, followed closely by the EA.
The E11 wins for form factor, and isn't that far off from the SQ of the other two.

Any of the 3 will drive your headphones to earsplitting volume.

Edit: Here's some good analysis of amps in the price range you mentioned,
though it's (very slightly) outdated now...this market is moving very quickly.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-10-1-amps-compared

Thanks, I think I am going to look into the FiiO E11 due to its form factor and SQ...that is if I really need an amp.

If I am using the Cowon Z2 and my Phillips Citiscape Uptowns (which I mentioned are a little underpowered) and my VSonic GRO07 MK2s, do you think an amp would be necessary? I know the Cowon (which I have not purchased yet) has a good chip and decent power...I am expecting more than my iPad (current music source). I don't want to have to lug around a brick attached to my PMP everywhere I go unless it will noticeably increase the SQ and, only if necessary, volume.

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #8 of 9
ffo
Quote:

Thanks, I think I am going to look into the FiiO E11 due to its form factor and SQ...that is if I really need an amp.

If I am using the Cowon Z2 and my Phillips Citiscape Uptowns (which I mentioned are a little underpowered) and my VSonic GRO07 MK2s, do you think an amp would be necessary? I know the Cowon (which I have not purchased yet) has a good chip and decent power...I am expecting more than my iPad (current music source). I don't want to have to lug around a brick attached to my PMP everywhere I go unless it will noticeably increase the SQ and, only if necessary, volume.

"necessary"

Not sure what you mean by that in this context.

The headphones play as the system is currently.
If you want more power and better SQ from that system,
an amp is the answer.  (Assuming you're listening to 
lossless files, not 192 or 256 which will never sound 
very good on a revealing playback system).

The E11 does not qualify as a 'brick'. :)
65 grams.
92.5×54.2×13.4(mm)

You put a band around your PMP and the E11 (there are all sorts of thick rubber bands
offered today just for this purpose) and you won't notice it's there until you listen.
The music becomes more detailed more dynamic, and ultimately louder if you wish.

If you're a music lover, and it seems that you are, the small investment in an E11
for your system is absolutely worthwhile.  

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks, I will most certainly invest in an amp. I found a seemingly better solution than rubber brands for attaching an amp to a PMP, 3M Dual Lock. If you are interested you can check this "tutorial" on innerfidelity: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/3m-dual-lock-and-attaching-your-player-portable-headphone-amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back