Cheap MP3 player that uses SD media?
Apr 4, 2004 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

geek42

Head-Fier
Howdy,

I own a Palm Tungsten T3 that I use for portable listening, and recently purchased a 256 mb SD media card for it. I was wondering if there's a cheap mp3 player that I could just pop that card into, in order to listen to mp3's while exercizing. I'm afraid to introduce my palm into that environment, where it could easily get crushed/dropped/sweated on/god knows what else.

The player doesn't have to have much (or any, for that matter) built in memory, just an SD slot so I can use the memory I've already paid for, and decent sound quality... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Apr 4, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #2 of 7
Rio makes a lot of decent low cost players. The RCA Lyra might be a good choice too.

[edit] I need to add one caveat. I used to have an older Rio player and it required that the media card be formatted in a propietary way so a Plam wouldn't be able to use the card. I don't know if current players allow for the card to formatted in FAT16 so that you can use the card in the player and a Palm.[/edit]

Apr 4, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 7
Rio does have good flash players that have expandable memory up to 512 megs. They also threw in RMM, which eliminates UMS capabilities... AAAAggggggggg

There are many players out there that are cheap and have a SD slot, without need for formatting... but those are just the nameless ones that no one knows about.

Kinda sucks...

Apr 4, 2004 at 7:10 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Sczervok
Rio does have good flash players that have expandable memory up to 512 megs. They also threw in RMM, which eliminates UMS capabilities... AAAAggggggggg

There are many players out there that are cheap and have a SD slot, without need for formatting... but those are just the nameless ones that no one knows about.

Kinda sucks...

i'll have to check out some of the online discount houses - maybe off-brand is just the solution. It'll be cheap at least, and as long as the sound isn't painfully bad, it won't matter all that much for riding and stuff. thanks for the info!

Apr 4, 2004 at 9:49 AM Post #5 of 7
I'd personally go with one of the Rio's (yes I own a Karma), but I have played around with the off brands and the RCA and I was very disappointed. The problem I ran into was that the display was grossly uninformative and it didn't necessarily tell you what was playing etc.

As far as having to use RMM, I believe that would only be in regards to the internal memory, you *shouldn't* need it for just popping in an SD card. Further, RMM is probably one of the best 1st part pieces of software, it is very streamlined and efficient compared to the bloatware that both creative and sony produce. I would go to www.rioaudio.com and download rmm (it's free and doesn't require a player to use) that way you can get a first hand look at whether it will work for you or not and whether it is the best option or not.

Apr 4, 2004 at 12:20 PM Post #6 of 7
i have a rio sport and a mac. i use a card reader and just drag mp3 files from my itunes files to the sd card. plays fine, no special card formatting required.

Apr 5, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by geek42
i'll have to check out some of the online discount houses - maybe off-brand is just the solution. It'll be cheap at least, and as long as the sound isn't painfully bad, it won't matter all that much for riding and stuff. thanks for the info!

Check the Rio S10 @ buy.com

Saw this in Anandtech.com's hot deal forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back