Cheap Low Profile side exit LOD for IPOD and cable rant :)
Nov 17, 2010 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

joesuburb

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Ya,

I'm one of those guys that doesn't believe in super expensive cable, even though I somehow convinced myself to spend $1500 for 2 sets of bi-wired speaker cable for by B&Ws.  Just my opinion, don't try and sell me please.  Honestly, the tiny pins in the dock connecter, if sonically audible at all, are going to have a much bigger impact than a 2 inch length of 26 gauge cable would, but just my opinion.

In any event, what I do want is a low profile short cable with a side exit that is super cheap, yet won't fall apart.  Any idea where I can find one?  The only ones I've been able to find are $100+ and I'm looking for under $25.

I'll still never forget an asshat in a high end audio shop, trying to sell me a $300 fiber digital tos cable.  I offered to bring in my Fluke fiber optic test set to test for loss.  He would pay me $1000 if it didnt make a difference, I would buy the cable if it did.  He declined. I'd love to see some people post test results of cable.  This is just electrical current, not magic.  Lets see some scientific evidence.  

Nov 17, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 6
Haha, I know.  Just one of my passions.  But I'm looking for a low profile side exit LOD.  All the cheap one's I've found are like the ones you have linked.  There is no way I should HAVE to spend over $100 to get a low profile cable.

Nov 18, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 6
You can get a L1 and modify it some..

Nov 18, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 6
It's not that you HAVE to spend a lot of money on a low profile docks, its that you HAVE to spend the price that suppliers ask. There are no mass-produced low-profile LOD's because for the mass market, Line-out docks are used with external speakers/headphone systems and a longer cable is actually required/beneficial. The majority of users that would be interested in low-profile LOD's are using them in portable applications, which one could easily assume, is a  VERY small market.

Therefore, the solutions you will fine are either DIY or from boutique builders, who, from your perspective, unfortunately charge a premium for their docks. I would say that is a rather one-sided perspective, however, because you get what you pay for, as they say. I recently bought a low profile dock from qusp (twisted cables) and it was custom epoxy molded with 4xTwSPC wires + 2x 47uF BlackGate capacitors (for my DIYmod) and a right angle neutrik connector. I would say I think the ALO or whiplash low profile docks are over-priced because they are just tiny docks that are modded with an additional hole on the right. In fact, take a closer look at the pictures and you can see they fill the original exit with epoxy/hot glue or something.

Here's a few pics just so you can see the difference (you can check alo's site for their low-profile dock):

Overall, you can get some very well made products, but as you said, they are all 100+ depending on the cable used and what other features you may need. I can say the qusp could probably build you something similar without the caps and using copper wiring for under 100 dollars. But I suggest pm'ing him. The best budget solution would be to build something yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back