Cheap(ish) Bookshelfs?
Apr 1, 2006 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Kenny12

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm finding i'm using speakers a lot more than my headphones atm so i woudln't mind getting a nice pair of sensitive speakers to go with my modified t-amp.

does anyone know a pair of cheap (under 250) bookshelfs?

would i be better off going the DIY route?

Apr 1, 2006 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 15
Haha I just finished writing up a review of some cheapish bookshelves that could do the job.. VAL m20

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...d.php?t=461024 you may have to register if ur not already a member though. If you cbf registering just pm me

I dunno if they're exactly what you're looking for since they're active speakers (built in tube monoblock) rather than being something to connect to your t-amp.. but i quite like them!

Apr 1, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #7 of 15
Run, don't walk and snatch up a pair of Energy Connoisseur C-3 while they still have stock at audioadvisor.com. Was the budget loudspeaker of the year when it was $500, now's being cleared out at $250

Pretty efficient for a bookshelf at 89 dB 1M

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #9 of 15
ah, well.

Two other bookshelf speakers I've liked a lot.

Epos ELS3, and Monitor Audio Bronze 1

Might be worth auditioning if you can find them locally.

Apr 3, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #12 of 15
High efficiency (t-amp efficiency), good sound and budget prices is a tough trio of requirements, it seems. I love my Epos ELS-3's, but have no idea what they would sound like being driven by such a tiny amp. If you ever find out, please let me know
smily_headphones1.gif

From what research I've done, it looks like the Omega Mini Me might be the best place to start with a little amp like that. I'm thinking of getting a pair of those and a t-amp and comparing the sound to my ELS-3's and vintage Pioneer integrated. I'd bet the Omega/t-amp setup would be more fun.

http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/mini%20me.htm

Apr 3, 2006 at 9:30 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny12
my friend is sellling his diy vifa speakers so i've decided to test his pair, might get it if it sounds good
smily_headphones1.gif

Let us know how they sound

Bookshelves are often pretty insensitive, so i'd be interested to know how the t-amp powers them. i imagine that most t-amps are used on bookshelves though because i cant imagine too many people shelling out the money for full sized speakers and then using a t-amp on it (except for the geek factor)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back