Cheap in-ears: Skullcandy Smoking Buds VS. JVC Marshmallows
Oct 29, 2009 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

moogoob

Headphoneus Supremus
Yes, I'm serious.

I'm looking for a dirt cheap, available in stores beater pair to carry around with my iPod. For when I can't use my Grado SR80s (my walking cans
biggrin.gif
)

Anyways, the two cheap ones are JVCs, and everyone's most hated brand. Comfort? SQ?

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can get the titans, I heard they were decent. What is your budget? I can't recommend the JVC since I hated them.

=1333] This graph scared me.
smily_headphones1.gif
=1313]This one for the smokin' buds looked much nicer - certainly better than I remember Marshmallows being, though the mallow-like low rolloff is also kinda alarming... maybe I'll try the Titans and see how they do me.

My one pair of marshmallows broke on me, that's why I'm asking. Also, I heard somewhere that SK's lower-end earbuds are actually worth it, considering their price. Unlike their much maligned full-size cans, of course.

Comfort- how do these fare? I was able to use Marshmallows for my entire commute without my ear canals hurting. My last in-ears were Koss the Plug. Ow.

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 14
Any chance of getting the FX66 air cushions? They're a fair improvement on the marshmallows sound-wise and much more comfortable to boot.

If you were willing to buy online there's the stellar Ai-M9...

Otherwise I'd go with the Skullcandy Ink'd as a throwaway set if you have to buy in-store. Comfort is fairly typical for a straight-barrel IEM. Comply tips help (but cost more than the earphone).

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #8 of 14
I have the FX-66s and used to have the Smokin' Buds (before I learned better
biggrin.gif
) and would say that you should definately pick the air cushions hands down. They aren't that much more expensive than the marshmallows, and supposedly last longer. Very comfortable, though they do not isolate a great amount; pretty shallow insertion into your ears. Strong bass. I could never get the Smokin' Buds to stay in my place in my ear canals, they always popped out. Not very comfortable since I had to work a great deal to get them to stay in place even for a little while.

I use the air cushions as a back-up pair of IEMs/if I need to pick something up quick. I enjoy my metal on them. Have fun with Opeth
L3000.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpticElement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the FX-66s and used to have the Smokin' Buds (before I learned better
biggrin.gif
) and would say that you should definately pick the air cushions hands down. They aren't that much more expensive than the marshmallows, and supposedly last longer. Very comfortable, though they do not isolate a great amount; pretty shallow insertion into your ears. Strong bass. I could never get the Smokin' Buds to stay in my place in my ear canals, they always popped out. Not very comfortable since I had to work a great deal to get them to stay in place even for a little while.

I use the air cushions as a back-up pair of IEMs/if I need to pick something up quick. I enjoy my metal on them. Have fun with Opeth
L3000.gif

wow. exactly what i was going to say. hated my smokin buds. never fitted, no highs, and bought extended warranty on them
get a bit more $$ and go with the FX66

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #10 of 14
Hmm... ported... I like that idea. Too much isolation makes me uncomfortable/scared of getting run over by a car I can't hear. I'll pass by a big box store and try those.

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
=1333] This graph scared me.
smily_headphones1.gif
=1313]This one for the smokin' buds looked much nicer - certainly better than I remember Marshmallows being, though the mallow-like low rolloff is also kinda alarming... maybe I'll try the Titans and see how they do me.

snipOw.

What scares you about that graph? If it's the low, low bass, you should probably look into how much content is actually in music at those frequencies. I'll give you a hint. Almost none! With an iPod Nano, I find the Titans to be very well behaved at the low end & the mids & highs are nice & revealing. A bit bright at the very top, but the iPod is somewhat rolled off up there anyway.
Cheers,
kev

Oct 31, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #13 of 14
I'd like to thank all those here that suggested the Air Cushions. They sound like an in-ear, cheaper Denon D1001, even down to the ported design. They are much more balanced sound-wise than the Marshies, and fit well with the smaller of the silicone plugs.

Any word on if these change much/at all with driver break-in?

Oct 31, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to thank all those here that suggested the Air Cushions. They sound like an in-ear, cheaper Denon D1001, even down to the ported design. They are much more balanced sound-wise than the Marshies, and fit well with the smaller of the silicone plugs.

Any word on if these change much/at all with driver break-in?

Glad you like them! I find that for the price they're a good kick-around pair of IEMs. Can you explain further what you are referring to with the ported design/what exactly "ported" means?

I found that with burn-in the bass became a fit fuller and more controlled. I'd give them around 30 hours of burn-in, from there on I didn't notice a great deal of change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back