Cheap IEMs for Metal (KZ perhaps?)
Feb 19, 2018 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

zombie_breeder

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

I have been lurking here forever and I finally decided to get off my butt and join. I am looking for some new IEMs. I listen to a lot of different types of music but mainly metal (all types black, death etc. but particularly doom metal [which really emphasizes the low end--think Black Sabbath tuned waaaaay down]). I also listen to classic rock, hard rock, some hip-hop, some noise, punk, hardcore etc.

I have looked through so many threads and have seen so many recommendations that I am completely overwhelmed by the possibilities. KZ seems to receive a lot of love on the forums, but I do not know which model would be best for me and my preferences. I was thinking maybe the KZ ZS3? but I really have no idea. I would like to stay below $15. I do not have my heart set on KZs and am open to other suggestions in the same price range--KZ just seems to be a strong possibility for brand choice.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 6
There are a lot of KZ alternatives and I have only heard the ATE, which I like very much. I am sure there are others that are good as well. The ATE is within your budgetary guidelines though and it should work for you. Just one option.

Feb 19, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 6
I'd recommend the ES3 over the Zs3...a little more detailed sound, and better soundstage, but it still has plenty of low end.

Feb 19, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 6
There are a lot of KZ alternatives and I have only heard the ATE, which I like very much. I am sure there are others that are good as well. The ATE is within your budgetary guidelines though and it should work for you. Just one option.
Thanks for the info. Are there any particular KZ alternatives your were thinking of?

I'd recommend the ES3 over the Zs3...a little more detailed sound, and better soundstage, but it still has plenty of low end.
Thanks for the heads-up on the ES3's! Sounds like what I am looking for...

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #6 of 6
I was thinking of a ZST, which is in your price range.
Thanks! I ended up ordering the ES3 but I had a really hard time deciding between the ES3 and the ZST. Both seemed extremely capable of providing what I wanted...but some of the reviews I read made it seem like the ES3 had more bass out of the box without amplification. Supposedly the ES3 is a bit of a cross between the ZST Pro and the ZS5 so I am hoping that it will deliver. I also liked the idea of the longer nozzles on the ES3.

@serman005 & @Cruelhand Luke ---Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back