Cheap IEM for Folk/Rock & Classical
Aug 3, 2010 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

versusqc

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm looking for my second pair of IEM as I lost my well-loved-yet-far-from-perfection Zen Aurvana. I'm from Canada but can proxy them from the USA until the end of august, so I think now is the time to buy.
I've read the multiple-iem review post, but still wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on under-$50 IEM for folk/rock(Dylan, Young, CSN), Fusion(Weather Report, late 70's Mitchell) and Classical(mostly chamber music from Faure, Elgar, but also a bit of Ravel).
I see the UHP606(Superfi4) for $25 from Amazon.com, or the Meelec m6 for $20 from buy.com.
As for my needs, sound isolation is a must, not a lot of microphonic as I will be walking with them.
Many Thanks =D
edit: the SoundMagic PL50 on sale for $39/Brainwavz M1 could also be inside my budget. Oh, and I forgot to say that the earphone must be easy to drive as they go directly in my touch 3rd gen

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #6 of 14
I'd go with the M1 over the Meelec M6 or either of the soundmagics. It has a good sense of space and outstanding detail/clarity. Should work well with classical. I just got the SF4 yesterday but no opinion on it yet.

Aug 5, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #7 of 14
Thanks Joker, I will be waiting for that SF4 review.
I read some review of the M1, they seems pretty good, although they seems to lack in instrument separation.
At the moment I'm on the fence between UHP606(SF4), M1, and busting with RE0...

Aug 5, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #8 of 14
SF4 are analytical and resolving, big soundstage. The treble has sparkle and they actually got quite a bit of bass. The mids are not the best ever, but fairly decent (much better than M6, for instance). They are microphonic with the stock silicone tips if not worn over the ear, but other tips help with that. Especially foam.

Aug 5, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
Thanks Joker, I will be waiting for that SF4 review.
I read some review of the M1, they seems pretty good, although they seems to lack in instrument separation.
At the moment I'm on the fence between UHP606(SF4), M1, and busting with RE0...

Well, the M1 might lack instrument separation next to top-tier earphones but certainly not next to anything in their price range. The SF4 doesn't fare any better but again if they did I'd expect them to be priced above $100 or be more popular than RE0s. 

In terms of usability the M1 and SF4 are about on-par (and a step above the RE0). I don't like the stock tips on the SF4 but some generic bi-flanges fixed the fit for me. 

Aug 5, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #10 of 14
the SF4 are what now?

erm they really arent analytical, they are actually really rather bassy for single BA and not terribly detailed or precise.

not that im bashing the SF4, for the £18 i got mine for its not bad at all and it does clean up with added impedance.

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Well, the M1 might lack instrument separation next to top-tier earphones but certainly not next to anything in their price range. The SF4 doesn't fare any better but again if they did I'd expect them to be priced above $100 or be more popular than RE0s. 

In terms of usability the M1 and SF4 are about on-par (and a step above the RE0). I don't like the stock tips on the SF4 but some generic bi-flanges fixed the fit for me. 

How do the M1s compare to the Etymotic MC5?  The Etys are priced the same as the RE0, and I was wondering if they deliver for twice price of the M1.  This would be for a listening profile similar to the OP's.  Thanks for your thoughts.

Joe

Aug 7, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
How do the M1s compare to the Etymotic MC5?  The Etys are priced the same as the RE0, and I was wondering if they deliver for twice price of the M1.  This would be for a listening profile similar to the OP's.  Thanks for your thoughts.

Very unlikely that anyone out there has heard both as both are relatively new models. But they are in different price tiers so not really fair to compare - if you can afford the MC5 and like the reviews - go for it.

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #14 of 14
Thanks for your thoughts.  I'll probably pull the trigger on the MC5.  I have been toying with the idea of the S4 (maybe too bassy),
the RE0 (I don't want an amp for my ipod classic at this point), and the other Etymotic phones HF5 and ER6i (older technology), which except for the HF5 all seem to be in the same price point now.  I also considered the Westone 1, but none of the reviews was enough to get me to bite, even with the EarSolutions 18% sale with free shipping.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back