Cheap headphones vs DT880 250
Jan 12, 2013 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

soundisee

100+ Head-Fier
I will make this simple as possible...

I started off using $30 Panasonic HTF600's which are very lightweight + comfortable with the DT 250 velour pad mod but they broke and wanted an upgrade.

I bought a FiiO E10, DT770 Pro 80's and ATH M50's.

Love the comfort of the DT770 velours but didn't like the sub/bass so I returned them.

I like the sound on the M50's better but can't wear them for more than 1 hour for how uncomfortable and heavy the feel but I will keep these since I got them for only $80.

That being said I have been going through countless threads on this forum like a mad scientist and keep getting lost. Finding the right pair of headphones is tough since it's mainly subjective. Since I like the feel of the lightweight semi-open HTF600's and the velours on the DT770's I concluded that the DT880 premium 250 would be worth trying but now I'm wondering if it would be worth getting over some of the cheaper headphones mentioned on this forum. Based off the info I have given what do you guys recommend?

I will be using these for recording, listening to music, and gaming (in that order).

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 12
What kind of music do you listen too?  Will you be using these for portable use at all?  What kind of sound are you looking for?  Warm, clear, detailed, sparkly, etc...

I have the DT880 250 ohm.  It's very detailed and is more on the bright side.

btw, the M50's comfort issue can be fixed quite easily with this easy to do mod; http://www.head-fi.org/t/493838/stretching-your-m50s-for-less-clamp-and-much-more-comfort

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
What kind of music do you listen too?  Will you be using these for portable use at all?  What kind of sound are you looking for?  Warm, clear, detailed, sparkly, etc...

I have the DT880 250 ohm.  It's very detailed and is more on the bright side.

btw, the M50's comfort issue can be fixed quite easily with this easy to do mod; http://www.head-fi.org/t/493838/stretching-your-m50s-for-less-clamp-and-much-more-comfort

I listen to a lot of different music mostly electronic and "chill wave" right now but here's a short list to give you an idea (Tycho, Bjork, Amtrac, Little Dragon, Daft Punk, Radiohead, Washed Out, Teen Daze, Toro Y Moi, M83, Bonobo, FM Attack, Phantogram, etc..) I'm not really sure what to describe what I'm looking for but since I record my own music I like to hear everything how it should sound with detail but no exaggerated bass. I like bass but I don't like it when it's over extended like they were on the DT770's.

Edit: I have studio reference monitors for monitoring/mixing but I use headphones on occasion to have a 2nd listen.

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 12
DT880 250 ohm would suit you well, other than the extra brightness.  

My Q701 gives me a detailed sound.  Their soundstage is isn't big or small, it's more realistic and gives me a kind of 3d feeling, like you would expect if you were actually there.  Bass is there, but not very strong.  I would say it would be perfect for my taste... if I didn't love sub bass so much :)  Excellent mids and clear/smooth treble.  They would work ok too imo

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
DT880 250 ohm would suit you well, other than the extra brightness.  

My Q701 gives me a detailed sound.  Their soundstage is isn't big or small, it's more realistic and gives me a kind of 3d feeling, like you would expect if you were actually there.  Bass is there, but not very strong.  I would say it would be perfect for my taste... if I didn't love sub bass so much :)  Excellent mids and clear/smooth treble.  They would work ok too imo

I was actually considering the AKG's but I'm not sure if I would find them as comfortable to the DT880's. I really like the detachable cable on the Q701's but I don't really like the color schemes and celebrity endorsed headphones even if they sound great, just personal preference. If I did go for them I'd get the K701's but I read mixed reviews and most of them being that they are harder drive to make them worthwhile.

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 12
My matrix M stage drove my akg's just fine.  Their plenty comfortable for me, though not as comfortable as my beyers.  I listened to both the akg k501's and q701's.  I preferred the Q701 more full and warm sound compared to the k701's cold and analytical sound.  Again, these are just my opinions, take them and other's with a grain of salt.  Everyone has a different pair of ears and different taste in sound.  I highly recommend if you can going to a local hifi store to give them a try yourself.

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
My matrix M stage drove my akg's just fine.  Their plenty comfortable for me, though not as comfortable as my beyers.  I listened to both the akg k501's and q701's.  I preferred the Q701 more full and warm sound compared to the k701's cold and analytical sound.  Again, these are just my opinions, take them and other's with a grain of salt.  Everyone has a different pair of ears and different taste in sound.  I highly recommend if you can going to a local hifi store to give them a try yourself.

Are you saying you prefer the Q701's over the 880's? Also getting another amp would be out of the question right now I just want to use my audio interface or FiiO E10 if I have to use one at all.

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
I have until Tuesday to make a decision so far it's still the 880's unless someone else has a better suggestion.

I'm in the same boat as you right now. I've done research for what seems like a month and come up with these as the top options within the $250-$400 bracket:

Beyerdynamic DT880: 600 Ohm
AKG K702: 65th Anniversary Edition
Mad Dog By Mr. Speakers
HiFiMan He-400

Everything else falls a little short, but the main problem now is narrowing this list down. I cant seem to decide between the DT880 and the K702.

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
I'm in the same boat as you right now. I've done research for what seems like a month and come up with these as the top options within the $250-$400 bracket:

Beyerdynamic DT880: 600 Ohm
AKG K702: 65th Anniversary Edition
Mad Dog By Mr. Speakers
HiFiMan He-400

Everything else falls a little short, but the main problem now is narrowing this list down. I cant seem to decide between the DT880 and the K702.

I was also debating the AKG Q/K 701/702's but decided the 880's would be a better choice based off comfort and more of an "all round" can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back