"Cheap" headphones recommendation
Mar 1, 2019 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

amsterdance

New Head-Fier
Hi mates!

I've been using my Philips A5 to listen to music on some devices (I'm not an "professional" or a pure audiophile, I just love music :)) and I'm very happy with them but now I want to get some "cheap" headphones for my girlfriend. She's just a casual listener but likes music with good bass (EDM) and I've find those two:

Philips SHX50 / HX5 (both names are the same)
Sony MDR-XB550

What do you thing about them?, has anyone tried them?. I know they aren't even comparable to some hi-fi headphones but I'd like to know the opinion of some experts before I buy because they could be "cheap" in some places but in my country they cost a LOT.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 31
if you have more money, you can go into the used market and get a decent amp and a Fostex TH900...those headphone got the deepest bass and plenty of punch

Mar 3, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #8 of 31
Hi mates!

Philips HX5

What do you thing about them?, has anyone tried them?. I know they aren't even comparable to some hi-fi headphones but I'd like to know the opinion of some experts before I buy because they could be "cheap" in some places but in my country they cost a LOT.

These Philips are actually incredibly good, and a severely underrated headphone.
Most people only took notice of the flashing blue lights, and completely disregarded it as a serious headphone.
However, it's performance will give most headphones up to $100 a run for their money.

The bass is a slight touch on the boomy side, and because it's on-ear the soundstage is a little small, but the frequency response and tonality is not only one of the most balanced under $100, but one of the flattest headphones I've ever measured on my miniDSP EARS jig.
In this regard, it's a giant killer.
So actually you are wrong about one thing - they ARE TOTALLY "comparable to some hi-fi headphones" especially considering the current price.
Also one of the most comfortable on-ears around.

But, having said that, I would get a Creative Auvana Live! instead :D

Mar 3, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #9 of 31
Superlux HD681 Evo could work. Good bass,

I bought these for my wife as she enjoys some bass. She's quite happy with them.

I use the Superlux 668b with true fi and xonar dg with a slight amount of amp. Her Superlux 681 Evo is coming right off the computer. The sound card and true fi will help these headphones but not as much as the 668b and they still sound decent without amping or true fi.

So in short a good buy in my book and it still has more potential if you want to tap into it.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #10 of 31
These Philips are actually incredibly good, and a severely underrated headphone.
Most people only took notice of the flashing blue lights, and completely disregarded it as a serious headphone.
However, it's performance will give most headphones up to $100 a run for their money.

The bass is a slight touch on the boomy side, and because it's on-ear the soundstage is a little small, but the frequency response and tonality is not only one of the most balanced under $100, but one of the flattest headphones I've ever measured on my miniDSP EARS jig.
In this regard, it's a giant killer.
So actually you are wrong about one thing - they ARE TOTALLY "comparable to some hi-fi headphones" especially considering the current price.
Also one of the most comfortable on-ears around.

But, having said that, I would get a Creative Auvana Live! instead :D

Hi and thanks for the answer.

Sorry for the late answer but I was without internet so I couldn't respond :triportsad:

So, you say the Philips HX5 is good (at least for its price), I've been searching for some review of them but I just find some Amazon comments. As I said, I have a pair of A5 Pro and I love them but I can't buy a new pair because they're VERY expensive here (around $200 or even more).

Will you recommend them for music like Trance?, because you said that they're a bit "flat".

Mar 9, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #11 of 31
I bought these for my wife as she enjoys some bass. She's quite happy with them.

I use the Superlux 668b with true fi and xonar dg with a slight amount of amp. Her Superlux 681 Evo is coming right off the computer. The sound card and true fi will help these headphones but not as much as the 668b and they still sound decent without amping or true fi.

So in short a good buy in my book and it still has more potential if you want to tap into it.

What about the normal version of 681 and 668b?, the EVO cost twice :beyersmile:

Mar 9, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #12 of 31
Hi and thanks for the answer.

Sorry for the late answer but I was without internet so I couldn't respond :triportsad:

So, you say the Philips HX5 is good (at least for its price), I've been searching for some review of them but I just find some Amazon comments. As I said, I have a pair of A5 Pro and I love them but I can't buy a new pair because they're VERY expensive here (around $200 or even more).

Will you recommend them for music like Trance?, because you said that they're a bit "flat".
I didn't say they were flat, I said they are one of the flattest I've ever measured.
That means, it has a very linear frequency response. So when measured, the graph produced has quite a flat line.
This is good because no frequencies are accentuated above the others, and nothing seems to be missing either.
Bass is definitely the strong-point of the headphones. Good for electronic music.

Mar 9, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #13 of 31
I didn't say they were flat, I said they are one of the flattest I've ever measured.
That means, it has a very linear frequency response. So when measured, the graph produced has quite a flat line.
This is good because no frequencies are accentuated above the others, and nothing seems to be missing either.
Bass is definitely the strong-point of the headphones. Good for electronic music.

Oh ok, now I understand :)
Do you think they are better than the Sony or the Superlux?, because the Sony seems to have better specs but I'm afraid that the extra bass feature will "eat" the other frequencies and I never used the Superlux.

Mar 9, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #15 of 31
Hi mates!
I've been using a pair of Philips A5 / Takstar PRO80 to listen to music on some devices (I'm not an "professional" or a pure audiophile, I just love music :)) and I'm very happy with them but now I want to get some "cheap" headphones for my girlfriend. She's just a casual listener but likes music with good bass (EDM) and I've find those two:
Philips SHX50 / HX5 (both names are the same)
Sony MDR-XB550
Superlux, Samson, Takstar brands are good Low cost/Good bang for the buck headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back