Cheap headphones for snowboarding? sony zx300 or senn hd428?
Jun 30, 2011 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DerangedGoose

Head-Fier
I need a pair of headphones for snowboarding, preferably ones with good bass (since thats probably all that will cut through the wind/noise). I wanna keep it to around 30 dollars, and I can get ZX300 and HD428 for around the same price. Which one should I go with? or is there some other model I should consider?

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 13

Quote:
I need a pair of headphones for snowboarding, preferably ones with good bass (since thats probably all that will cut through the wind/noise). I wanna keep it to around 30 dollars, and I can get ZX300 and HD428 for around the same price. Which one should I go with? or is there some other model I should consider?

Eh, I'd have to say, the HD428's are going to be junk. They're plastic padded and it will be sweaty and uncomfortable to say the least, plus they don't grip well at all. I'd suggest IEM's or some portable headphones that attach to the ear but are not attached to a headphone band (clip ons essentially).

$30 won't get you much. Just get some IEM's.

Very best,

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
Eh, I'd have to say, the HD428's are going to be junk. They're plastic padded and it will be sweaty and uncomfortable to say the least, plus they don't grip well at all. I'd suggest IEM's or some portable headphones that attach to the ear but are not attached to a headphone band (clip ons essentially).

$30 won't get you much. Just get some IEM's.

Very best,

I wanted to avoid IEMs because taking them in and out with gloves on is extremely annoying, and for 30 dollars I probably wouldnt get that great of a pair (Im using the 15$ sony extra bass earbuds and they are by far the best ones In that price range ive found). Over ear phones are easy to take on and off and offer a little bit of warmth/insulation to my ears. How are the 428s sound wise compared to the zx? the ZX goes from 10-24K while the senns only do 18-22, though they have a higher sensitivity. 

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 13
Though I also think wearing headphones while SB'ing is not the best idea, not to forget dangerous, I guess I could recommend the Panasonic RP-HTX7. They're small and lightweight, and have plenty of bass.

I'm recommending these solely based on preice and quality, since i have never worn these while snowboarding. So I can't guarantee that they will be able to endure falls, cold winds and snow.
The only reason I wouldn't wear HP's is because if you bail, Worst case scenario, you could get injured pretty bad if they happen to break.

Jul 1, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
Though I also think wearing headphones while SB'ing is not the best idea, not to forget dangerous, I guess I could recommend the Panasonic RP-HTX7. They're small and lightweight, and have plenty of bass.

I'm recommending these solely based on preice and quality, since i have never worn these while snowboarding. So I can't guarantee that they will be able to endure falls, cold winds and snow.
The only reason I wouldn't wear HP's is because if you bail, Worst case scenario, you could get injured pretty bad if they happen to break.

People snowboard with music all the time, its fine. Im not really worried about it. The htx7 have lower sensitivity and a smaller range than the sonys. wouldnt that suggest less bass?

Jul 1, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 13
From my experience with the RP-HTX7, there is absolutely no lack in bass. You can't judge a headphone just because of it's specs. Most of the time, head-fiers seem to prove them wrong, and even I believe most specs are false or misleading. If anything, I would trust reviews over specs.

I'm not worried about listening to music while boarding, just the possibility the headphones cracks during a fall, and plastic shards is the last thing I would want when I fall. I've been snowboarding with IEM's countless times.

Jul 1, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #7 of 13
You can also look at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003VNKKUS/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1309575451&sr=1-1&condition=used

I got a pair, and they looked new, just without packaging and sound acceptable. Better than the HTX7 after a bit of modding imo. Both have a warm bassy sound, but the Stretches are a touch more refined after removing the fabric in front of the driver.

But I'm with the others. It seems like headphones would be more...unwieldy. I'd never snowboard with a pair of headphones on because if I ate it, like 2enty3 said, I'd hate to get injured because my headphones snapped/shattered. I've always gone with IEM's. Looking to get a pair of buds though because it feels weird to be totally deaf to everything going downhill.

And the published freq response means nothing as Sony exaggerates their stuff.

Jul 1, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
How do you guys manage to take buds/monitors in and out with snowboarding gloves? Its seriously impossible with my gloves.

Practice.

Actually, that's another reason I'm looking for buds. It's really hard to get a good seal without either taking my gloves off or wearing thinner gloves (which sucks.) With buds, it's a bit easier.

Then again, my parents always made me wear super-thick gloves so I'm used to it.

Jul 2, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #10 of 13
maybe I need to get different buds. I was using these round sonys that were like pebbles, there was no grip. Now im using their extra bass bud and the driver sticks out, I could just use that for leverage I guess. Would buds give better isolation than pads?

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
maybe I need to get different buds. I was using these round sonys that were like pebbles, there was no grip. Now im using their extra bass bud and the driver sticks out, I could just use that for leverage I guess. Would buds give better isolation than pads?

Oh, in ear monitors? Those give better isolation, but it's hard to get a good seal without taking your gloves off. I was talking about earbuds with pads. Or an IEM with an angled tip would work too because they don't need that much fiddling to get a good seal..

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Again, I actually didn't hate the ZX 300. It's an aggressive can, pretty edgy imo with a focus on mids and that good ole mid bass hump. But for $30 it's not a bad buy. The sound stage isn't fantastic either but again for $30 it's not that bad [trust me I've heard $50 cans that... are destroyed by these Sonys]

Jun 26, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #13 of 13
My experience with the ZX300 is excellent. I haven't used them for anything like snowboarding; I used them once when I was lifting at the gym and I thought they did a good job there. I also use them when I walk around outside, and they block outside noises pretty well. Other reviewers have mentioned dropping these down a stairwell with no apparent damage, so they should be pretty durable. 

Some people aren't fans of the sound profile. I'm no audiophile, but I think they sound great. I own a pair, and these are my babies :)  I can (and do!) recommend the ZX300 to anyone looking for a quality set of headphones for under $30. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back