Cheap earbuds advice (non-IEM)
Feb 8, 2011 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ringoko

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good cheap pair of earbuds to replace my standard apple earbuds.

IEMs aren't really an option, as they are for wearing during work, I'm constantly moving around and the IEM seal is constantly lost. I have Sennheiser IE6s which sound great, the problem is I have to keep my head relatively still...

I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser MX 470s from Amazon, and was really disappointed. They were very weak-sounding and tinny. Standard apples just blow them out of the water, even though I gave them a good 3 day burn-in. Its made me doubt how effective the MX 880/980s could be and a bit unwilling to shell out the extra cash to test if they do sound better.

Really I just want a full, rich sound, something that makes me love listening to my music again.

Feb 8, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 9
What is your budget? The Yuin PK3 sounds very nice and costs around US$30. You can also get the Sennheiser MX580/581 for around the same price. Perhaps those are better than the MX470.

You could always look for a comparison of the MX470 and 580/581.

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #4 of 9
Perhaps a silly question, but have you tried using the foams and/or the ear sleeves (the rubber rings)?  The sound earbuds produce is largely affected by fit, not unlike IEMs.  If that doesn't help, and you're still within the return window, I would exchange the MX470 for the MX471 since it has slightly different housings and a warmer sound.  Going with the MX580 in this case would probably end with the same result since this seems more like a fit-related issue than anything.

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 9
Hey, thanks for the quick replies.

My budget, I'd say would be up to about £60 ($100) for now. In UK prices, the Yuin PK3 would be about £30, MX580s are on Amazon for £18.

I tried both the foam pads and the rubber rings but there wasn't much of a difference. I even tried the old physically holding them tight against my ears with my fingers trick. Always non-existant bass, tinny highs. A duff pair maybe? They were only £13 so I could care less really, but I hoped for at least a little better than stock earbuds.

I also read good things about the AKG K313 (£15), but I'm leaning towards the PK3 right now.

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the quick replies.

My budget, I'd say would be up to about £60 ($100) for now. In UK prices, the Yuin PK3 would be about £30, MX580s are on Amazon for £18.

I tried both the foam pads and the rubber rings but there wasn't much of a difference. I even tried the old physically holding them tight against my ears with my fingers trick. Always non-existant bass, tinny highs. A duff pair maybe? They were only £13 so I could care less really, but I hoped for at least a little better than stock earbuds.

I also read good things about the AKG K313 (£15), but I'm leaning towards the PK3 right now.

Never heard tha AKGs, but the bass on the PK3 will utterly destroy the bass put out by any stock earbuds, both in quantity and quality. It's not even close.

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #9 of 9
i have the senn mx470 and yes the bass is not huge but is there and is the best sounding earbuds i ever have when it comes to thruly real sound quality(i have also bose ie,xb500,pioneer mj5,3 pairs of philips iem,apple,samsung,nokia,panasonic on ear) And depends alot of your source,For ex,on my ipod touch they sound ok but dont have any type of bass..but when i plug this in my sony vaio f11 laptop is 70% another pair of earphones,they sound amazing and the bass is 70% of my xb500,.. sou have enough bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back