Cheap card with coax out?
post-822512
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 8

AndrewTosh

Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 3, 2004
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jan 3, 2004
Posts
75
Likes
0
I'm looking for a card with a coaxial digital out that doesn't resample to 48khz. I saw the AV710 mentioned in a few threads but it looks like it only has an optical out.

Does anyone have any cheap suggestions? I don't care about playing games or analog quality, as long as it has a good digital out.

Thanks
 
     Share This Post       
post-822716
Post #2 of 8

kent1146

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 2, 2004
Messages
179
Reaction score
10
Joined
Mar 2, 2004
Posts
179
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewTosh
I'm looking for a card with a coaxial digital out that doesn't resample to 48khz. I saw the AV710 mentioned in a few threads but it looks like it only has an optical out.

Does anyone have any cheap suggestions? I don't care about playing games or analog quality, as long as it has a good digital out.

Thanks



Sound Blaster Live!... about $25-$30 new, cheaper if used.

You'll need a 1/8" mono to RCA adapter, which you can get from Radio Shack for about $2, and an RCA cable. Then you have your coax output ready to connect to any coax input jack.
 
     Share This Post       
post-822758
Post #3 of 8

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Messages
6,447
Reaction score
25
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Posts
6,447
Likes
25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kent1146
Sound Blaster Live!... about $25-$30 new, cheaper if used.

You'll need a 1/8" mono to RCA adapter, which you can get from Radio Shack for about $2, and an RCA cable. Then you have your coax output ready to connect to any coax input jack.



The Sound Blaster Live! doesn't meet the no-resampling requirement. That card resamples everything to 16-bit/48kHz at the hardware chip level no matter what - even audio that's going to the digital out - and then converts that 16/48 signal back to the chosen bitrate, losing bits of audio in the process. It never supported any audio above 16/48 to begin with. And the resampling alogarithm that it uses is really bad, with nasty distortion abound.
 
     Share This Post       
post-822763
Post #4 of 8

Glassman

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 22, 2003
Messages
1,830
Reaction score
11
Joined
Mar 22, 2003
Posts
1,830
Likes
11
no clock errors whatsoever, just crappy algorithm.. dsp does have virtually nothing to do with clock circuitry..
 
     Share This Post       
post-822808
Post #5 of 8

AndrewTosh

Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 3, 2004
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jan 3, 2004
Posts
75
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
The Sound Blaster Live! doesn't meet the no-resampling requirement.


Right... I already have one of those and it doesn't do what I'm looking for. My SGI Indigo2 has a 44.1 coax out, but it doesn't run windows so I can't really use it for watching videos etc.

I guess the SBLive's digital out wouldn't be too bad for non-critical listening, but I was wondering if there was a cheap substitute that would do real 44.1 without the resampling.
 
     Share This Post       
post-822814
Post #6 of 8

Wodgy

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 24, 2002
Messages
4,657
Reaction score
12
Joined
Feb 24, 2002
Posts
4,657
Likes
12
The M-Audio Delta Dio2448 is discontinued but you can often pick them up on eBay for a reasonable price. It has bit-perfect digital coax and optical (both input and output).
 
     Share This Post       
post-822853
Post #7 of 8

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
10,274
Reaction score
28
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Posts
10,274
Likes
28
How about the Audiophile 2496? It says it doesn't redither or sample convert, but is that for 96 or 44.1?
 
     Share This Post       
post-823084
Post #8 of 8

Wodgy

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 24, 2002
Messages
4,657
Reaction score
12
Joined
Feb 24, 2002
Posts
4,657
Likes
12
The Audiophile 24/96 is bit-perfect too. It was the successor product to the DiO 2448. The Audiophile 24/96 is still quite popular so it doesn't sell as cheaply on eBay. (Also, it doesn't have optical in/out, which I generally recommend for computer sources.)
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top